Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British holidaymakers lead the world when it comes to false compensation claims

British holidaymakers lead the world when it comes to false compensation claims

Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default British holidaymakers lead the world when it comes to false compensation claims

Why Brits got the bug for holiday sickness scams
One big tour operator points to statistics from July and August of last year: “There were 750,000 travelling British customers, 800,000 Germans and 375,000 Scandinavians. The Scandinavians lodged 39 claims for holiday illness and the Germans filed 114. The Brits put in just under 4,000.”
It's funny, we complain about the compensation culture in the USA - hot coffee being hot - and then you read this.

But I'm not surprised.

A few years ago I had booked my standard fly in the next two days late deal, find out where you're staying when you get there, for a Greek Island - Crete this time - and got perfectly adequate self catering accommodation, with use of a pool at the small hotel next door to the apartment block.

Half way through my two weeks, the holiday rep knocked on my door and said there'd been some dispute with the apartment owner (no clue what about) and the company were moving all the guests - there were only a few of us.

This happened about 10.00 pm. I left a couple of things in the fridge - something like a cucumber and tomato and maybe a bit of feta - bundled my things back into a suitcase and boarded the coach...that took us to a four star hotel, with a lovely infinity pool, comfortable sun loungers, some luxurious furniture where you could sit in the sun or shade enjoying lovely views over the bay, rooms had TV and aircon and breakfast and dinner was provided.

It was May, just moving into June so things weren't that busy yet and there weren't many guests except that one night some American Naval officers were booked in.

This particular holiday was my get fit for summer break - hire a bike for cycling about, have lots of salads, get a nice colour etc.

So this second week did have a slightly negative impact on my plan, given there was nowhere to hire a bike and of course I ended up dining for free. But I wasn't about to complain given my new comforts.

But there were people getting their stories ready for the rep for their complaints and claims. It had spoiled their plans as they like to hire a car and go out and about.

We were about 30 minutes drive away from where we started so they could still have done exactly what they planned to do. They didn't have to eat in, they could still have eaten out.

Had they needed to follow some sort of special diet and doing their own catering was the only option then maybe they'd have a case but that didn't appear to be the case unless they decided suicide by 4 star breakfast and dinner in the restaurant was a good idea.

As I say, my plans were much more negatively hit than theirs but it didn't occur to me to complain when I had gained so much.

I checked the hotel when I got back home. That second week would have cost more than four of my usual fortnights
Old Aug 1st 2017, 2:36 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British holidaymakers lead the world when it comes to false compensation claims

The First job I did for a Canadian company while in the U.K., that I now work for, was a slip and trip regarding a British male who fell at at Niagara Falls.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British holidaymakers lead the world when it comes to false compensation claims

The claim culture is strong and getting stronger in the UK. I'm not surprised at this at all! So many people here think they're owed a living.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
...a British male who fell at at Niagara Falls.
I had no idea that's where the 'falls' part of the name came from.