Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Food recipes: Chick n Mush pie, Mushy peas

British Food recipes: Chick n Mush pie, Mushy peas

Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Food recipes: Chick n Mush pie, Mushy peas

Originally Posted by DURHAM
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies, will make an effort to try learn . We did try a pie many months ago but the ready made frozen crust we used , was so hard and tasteless
Pillsbury sells a double pie crust in a box in the dairy department. One of the best tasting crusts for pies. You have to have the pie plate but you can always by the disposal ones if you don't want to invest in a good permanent one.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 3:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Pillsbury sells a double pie crust in a box in the dairy department. One of the best tasting crusts for pies. You have to have the pie plate but you can always by the disposal ones if you don't want to invest in a good permanent one.
Do you mean this frozen one Rete? Useful info, thanks! (I haven't seen non-frozen pastry in Ontario stores)
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pillsbu.../6000002408305
I've usually used the Tenderflake one https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tenderf.../6000191270243

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 7th 2021 at 3:41 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2021, 2:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

A few things that will make you a much better cook to start with:

Learn how to do the basics and it will open up a huge amount of options. Making pastry, bread and base sauces is really easy to do and way way cheaper than buying it ready made.

Stock up on staples, spices and tins. Large ziplock bags are great for marinading, refrigerating / freezing leftover or surplus ingredients.

Learn how to make different dishes with the same ingredients. You won’t need to go to the shops every 5 minutes for an odd item and you won’t be eating the same thing all the time.

Invest in a cast iron skillet, a carbon steel wok, a carbon steel skillet and learn how to season and care for them (easy) they will last forever. They don’t have to be expensive.

Also a decent enamelled cast iron Dutch oven.

Keep your knives razor sharp and put a silicone baking mat, a wet paper towel or tea towel under your chopping board. It will stop it from moving.

You tube is your friend. Millions of recipes and you can watch it through first then pause it as you go.

You mentioned Pies. Search for Paul Hollywood rough puff pastry. I have had some great results with it.

Yorkshire puddings search Jamie Oliver again great results.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Dec 18th 2021 at 2:10 am.
Old Dec 18th 2021, 6:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Get a candy floss machine, problem solved.
Old Dec 18th 2021, 11:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201

The French one of course.
Old Dec 18th 2021, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The French one of course.
There is a food equipment shop here and I have been talking myself in and out of a Christmas present…

https://williamsfoodequipment.com/gr...phaasc&page=1#

Im not allowed in unsupervised
Old Dec 20th 2021, 3:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
A few things that will make you a much better cook to start with:

Learn how to do the basics and it will open up a huge amount of options. Making pastry, bread and base sauces is really easy to do and way way cheaper than buying it ready made.

Stock up on staples, spices and tins. Large ziplock bags are great for marinading, refrigerating / freezing leftover or surplus ingredients.

Learn how to make different dishes with the same ingredients. You won’t need to go to the shops every 5 minutes for an odd item and you won’t be eating the same thing all the time.

Invest in a cast iron skillet, a carbon steel wok, a carbon steel skillet and learn how to season and care for them (easy) they will last forever. They don’t have to be expensive.

Keep your knives razor sharp and put a silicone baking mat, a wet paper towel or tea towel under your chopping board. It will stop it from moving.

You tube is your friend. Millions of recipes and you can watch it through first then pause it as you go.

You mentioned Pies. Search for Paul Hollywood rough puff pastry. I have had some great results with it.

Yorkshire puddings search Jamie Oliver again great results.

I still go back to the original Delia Smith book as a good basic how to cook guide. Jamie Oilivers books though are also excellent, particularly his "Food Revolution" book which is a very good "how to cook the classics" guide.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 1:28 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at what's for tea on you tube. I've just made the corned beef pie. Super easy and really good.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 2:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Have a look at what's for tea on you tube. I've just made the corned beef pie. Super easy and really good.
My gran used to make that - or something like it. She used corned beef from the tin mixed with sage and onion stuffing. Spud optional.

Old Dec 22nd 2021, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot for the life of me get my Yorkshires right-they seem to rise very well, then they go really brown, I take them out and they flop.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
I cannot for the life of me get my Yorkshires right-they seem to rise very well, then they go really brown, I take them out and they flop.
Try leaving them in the oven longer (even if you have to turn it down), if they rise and then sink when you take them out of the oven it sounds like they're a bit undercooked.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 2:43 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Try leaving them in the oven longer (even if you have to turn it down), if they rise and then sink when you take them out of the oven it sounds like they're a bit undercooked.

Yup, rising then falling would point to undercook. Oven should be very hot when they go in, then turned down after a few minutes.

shelley748, post your recipe?; we're here to help...
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a Yorkie Pud recipe from the Recipe thread in The Lounge.

Old Dec 22nd 2021, 3:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This might be of use to the OP - https://www.deliaonline.com/learn-to-cook - plenty of videos and recipes. - including this one for Yorkshire pud (the lessons are also on youtube)

I had Delia's 'frugal food' recipe book back in the 70's, I still have it.. but now an updated version is available online https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...as-frugal-food
Old Dec 28th 2021, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

I found that using safflower oil works very well. It has a high smoke point so you can get it really hot in the tin before you add the batter. They have always come out standing proud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.