British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The British Election (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/british-election-857899/)

MillieF May 9th 2015 11:34 am

The British Election

I haven't followed this slavishly...however, Britain is a democracy and so they've voted David Cameron in....I wish them all great happiness.

I do however feel really rather irritated at Clegg, Milliband and Farage...their attitude sucks...you don't just take your bat and ball away and refuse to play anymore because you didn't win. What kind of lily livered message does this send? Hardly firebrands.

Shard May 9th 2015 12:07 pm

Re: The British Election

No they each had to step down for good reasons. Clegg because he presided over the greatest drubbing in recent political history and had lost enormous credibility amongst the general electorate. There was even talk of replacing him as leader three years ago. Milliband is now universally believed to be the the completely wrong man for the job. And Nigel, to give him his due, has been tireless in building and leading his party for twenty years, didn't win his seat, remains and MEP, and so it's understandable that he may wish to step aside. Each failed spectacularly in their own way...so it's fall on your sword time, I'm afraid.

JamesM May 9th 2015 12:20 pm

Yes.

And always better to jump than be pushed.

BristolUK May 9th 2015 12:41 pm

Unfortunately it's the modern way of things. It's the same in football management. Out on your arse if you don't win. It's seen as failure even if 90% of them can't win.

Novocastrian May 9th 2015 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11641381)
Unfortunately it's the modern way of things. It's the same in football management. Out on your arse if you don't win*. It's seen as failure even if 90% of them can't win.

*except if you're John Carver.

On topic: they all had to go.

not2old May 9th 2015 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11641353)
I haven't followed this slavishly...however, Britain is a democracy and so they've voted David Cameron in....I wish them all great happiness.

any opinions on what the next 2 years will look like?

- Will there be a EU referendum or will Cameron negotiate a sweat deal with the EU for the fear of loss of the ~£20 billion a year the UK puts in the EU pot?

- Can the cons successfully cut or find the '£Billions' in savings they put in their election promise?

- How will the SNP fit into this new Parliament?

- The final question is who will lead Labour & the Libdems?

BristolUK May 9th 2015 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11641390)
*except if you're John Carver.

Well he is the best manager in the Prem. :lol:

ChrisBan May 9th 2015 2:14 pm

I do however feel really rather irritated at Clegg, Milliband and Farage...their attitude sucks...you don't just take your bat and ball away and refuse to play anymore because you didn't win. What kind of lily livered message does this send? Hardly firebrands.

Farage hasn't ruled running for the leadership of UKIP again, guess it would be some sort of confidence vote if the membership support him in any new bid.

As for the other two, they'll have completely lost the support of their party after their results, continuing will only damage their parties future prospects because of the likelihood they'll have growing discontent within the ranks.

Best result from this all was Ed Balls losing his seat.

Shard May 9th 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 11641415)
Farage hasn't ruled running for the leadership of UKIP again, guess it would be some sort of confidence vote if the membership support him in any new bid.

As for the other two, they'll have completely lost the support of their party after their results, continuing will only damage their parties future prospects because of the likelihood they'll have growing discontent within the ranks.

Best result from this all was Ed Balls losing his seat.

Yes he seems to have softened his stance slightly. Perhaps now with a Conservative majority, and Cameron's pledge to hold an EU referendum, his political golden grail is so tantalisingly close, that he will return in Autumn.

Oink May 9th 2015 4:13 pm

The UK needs, and has always needed, is proportional representation, rather than the "first past the post" system. Representative democracy is the rule of the people, of the Demos, when so many voices are not represented, its hardly a fair system.

colchar May 9th 2015 4:24 pm

This is typical of most political parties. If you fail as leader, especially if you fail spectacularly, you resign. Look at the last two federal elections in Canada, the Liberal leader resigned after both of those losses. Those who don't resign face a leadership review at the next party conference and few who lose survive those (Horwath of the NDP in Ontario being a survivor who immediately comes to mind).

IJ157 May 9th 2015 4:54 pm

Overall, a very good result.

Shard May 9th 2015 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by IJ157 (Post 11641484)
Overall, a very good result.

Yes Nicola did rather well didn't she.

not2old May 9th 2015 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11641476)
This is typical of most political parties. If you fail as leader, especially if you fail spectacularly, you resign. Look at the last two federal elections in Canada, the Liberal leader resigned after both of those losses. Those who don't resign face a leadership review at the next party conference and few who lose survive those (Horwath of the NDP in Ontario being a survivor who immediately comes to mind).

I wonder how much life pensions they will each get?

Does anyone know if Clegg & Milliband will still sit in Parliament as MP's?

Stinkypup May 9th 2015 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11641518)
I wonder how much life pensions they will each get?

Does anyone know if Clegg & Milliband will still sit in Parliament as MP's?

They just resigned as party leaders, they will,I believe still sit on their respective back benches