Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Airways YVR to LHR

British Airways YVR to LHR

Old Jan 20th 2020, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways YVR to LHR

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think Lufthansa have just refurbished some of theirs, so they will probably go for another 5 years....but as a whole they are dropping out of fleets very quickly.... I never made Concorde, so I at least hope to make the other iconic passenger jet - the Queen of the skies before she retires..
If I could I would like to fly a 747 one more time, flown on a 747 once when I went to Australia 19 years ago.

Lufthansa also has 747-8I which are still young, so they will likely have the 747 for sometime in their fleet. Oldest 747-8I is only 8 and youngest is not even 5 years old yet.

Looks like BA is aiming for 2024 with half gone by 2021.

https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...irement-plans/

Old Jan 20th 2020, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting thanks for posting the link JSmith!

I'm not going to tell you when I first flew on a 747 but it was long ago.

Last time was Cathay P to HK enroute to Australia circa 2009.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 10:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Very interesting thanks for posting the link JSmith!

I'm not going to tell you when I first flew on a 747 but it was long ago.

Last time was Cathay P to HK enroute to Australia circa 2009.
Cathay Pacific were a wonderful airline - I travelled with them often (my son did almost a million airmiles with them by the age of 10). Back in the day to get to Hong Kong you had to go via Dubai or elsewhere in the Middle East (and sometimes Calcutta) - a 17 hour flight .. didn't miss that when they finally got non-stop flights, lol. Singapore Air and Malaysian Airline System were also great - as were Air Lanka! BAA we always called 'Bloody Awful Airways'

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 20th 2020 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

BA also fly the Airbus A380-800 on the YVR to LHR route as well, maybe check some other dates if you're really concerned?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I always wanted to take Cathay on the YVR to JFK run they do but its ending soon or possibly already has was one way to fly them without going to HKG.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Cathay Pacific were a wonderful airline - I travelled with them often (my son did almost a million airmiles with them by the age of 10). Back in the day to get to Hong Kong you had to go via Dubai or elsewhere in the Middle East (and sometimes Calcutta) - a 17 hour flight .. didn't miss that when they finally got non-stop flights, lol. Singapore Air and Malaysian Airline System were also great - as were Air Lanka! BAA we always called 'Bloody Awful Airways'
Old Jan 21st 2020, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
BA also fly the Airbus A380-800 on the YVR to LHR route as well, maybe check some other dates if you're really concerned?
Thanks very much. I don't think that late in the year.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 4:15 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Never flew Cathay Pacific, but did once fly with their chief pilot instructor - his son was going out with my then-girlfriend's BFF, they had a grass aistrip for a backyard and a small plane in a hangar instead of a garden shed...

Conversely, my only flights to and from HK were as a small child. RAF VC10 from Brize Norton via Akrotiri, Gan and Singapore. I don't remember it, but my mum told me it was the most miserable flight she'd ever taken - three kids, youngest a toddler, eldest just turned 7, nearly 24 hours travelling including the refuelling stops.
Old Jan 21st 2020, 4:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Never flew Cathay Pacific, but did once fly with their chief pilot instructor - his son was going out with my then-girlfriend's BFF, they had a grass aistrip for a backyard and a small plane in a hangar instead of a garden shed...

Conversely, my only flights to and from HK were as a small child. RAF VC10 from Brize Norton via Akrotiri, Gan and Singapore. I don't remember it, but my mum told me it was the most miserable flight she'd ever taken - three kids, youngest a toddler, eldest just turned 7, nearly 24 hours travelling including the refuelling stops.
Great plane though!
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 7:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not YVR and nothing to do with safety but I flew BA SEA-LHR last Summer, my first trip to the old country since moving to Seattle from Oz. I paid for their version of Premium Economy (as opposed to getting points upgrades to BC or PE as I used to on Qantas) and was really disappointed with it. I missed Qantas, who'd have thought?!

Looking at alternatives for this year.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Not YVR and nothing to do with safety but I flew BA SEA-LHR last Summer, my first trip to the old country since moving to Seattle from Oz. I paid for their version of Premium Economy (as opposed to getting points upgrades to BC or PE as I used to on Qantas) and was really disappointed with it. I missed Qantas, who'd have thought?!

Looking at alternatives for this year.
What about Virgin? Pretty sure they have non-stops from Seattle.

Or connect through YVR and fly Air Canada although Air Canada can be on the pricey side, they are certainly the leader in the YVR to London market but YVR is a hub for them so kind of expected. Westjet might offer service to London from YVR, but I honestly can't keep track of their flights but they likely nickel and dime more vs AC so even if the fare is cheaper might end up costing more in the end depending on what extra services they charge for, like meals and such, can't remember if they are offering meals or charging extra.

For non-stops your fairly limited in Seattle, but if willing to connect you can fly virtually any of the major US 3 (Delta, UA, AA) + Air Canada, or one of the other European airlines and connect in Europe somewhere.

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:29 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
What about Virgin? Pretty sure they have non-stops from Seattle.

Or connect through YVR and fly Air Canada although Air Canada can be on the pricey side, they are certainly the leader in the YVR to London market but YVR is a hub for them so kind of expected. Westjet might offer service to London from YVR, but I honestly can't keep track of their flights but they likely nickel and dime more vs AC so even if the fare is cheaper might end up costing more in the end depending on what extra services they charge for, like meals and such, can't remember if they are offering meals or charging extra.

For non-stops your fairly limited in Seattle, but if willing to connect you can fly virtually any of the major US 3 (Delta, UA, AA) + Air Canada, or one of the other European airlines and connect in Europe somewhere.
Thanks J, yes we will look at Virgin who I believe codeshare with Delta. Mr K flew Air Canada when he brought the cats over - road tripped them from YVR to Seattle - and was not that impressed. I guess we both need to get used to the fact we are starting again with our FF status and have lost our almost always points upgrades! (I've already lost my QF Gold and he's on his way to losing his Platinum.)

I'm trying out AA in May but just two short hops to Mexico.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note that I highly advise against going from YVR to Seattle by air. The planes they use are like tiny tin cans and very loud and shaky as it's just for a short flight. If you were nervous about a 747 you'll be terrified.

I took a Delta flight from Seattle to YVR and it was very unpleasant, I couldn't see anything out the window as it didn't get high enough to get above the clouds and the pilot was also making up for a delay so pushing the plane as hard as it would go. I think I aged about 5 years on that flight.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 8:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Just a quick note that I highly advise against going from YVR to Seattle by air. The planes they use are like tiny tin cans and very loud and shaky as it's just for a short flight. If you were nervous about a 747 you'll be terrified.

I took a Delta flight from Seattle to YVR and it was very unpleasant, I couldn't see anything out the window as it didn't get high enough to get above the clouds and the pilot was also making up for a delay so pushing the plane as hard as it would go. I think I aged about 5 years on that flight.
Good advice, thanks. We don't have a car (trying to do without one and just get the odd car share when we need it) and have been thinking of taking the train up sometime.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

maybe when you flew Delta they were still using that crappy Canadian made RJ, yes those suck 100%, but those are not common into YVR anymore luckily, but man do the Canadian RJ's suck, Bombardier really wasn't thinking about passenger comfort with that one.

Fortunately now its all E-175 and they are quite a comfortable plane, cabin is nearly full size, can stand up, normal window size. I have flown the E-175 a few times between YVR and LAX and Seattle and San Diego, not bad even on a 3 hour trip.

The flight is simply too short to get much above 20,000 feet, but still beats 2-3 hour drive or whatever it takes to drive between the 2 airports.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 22nd 2020 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I checked the ticket and yep you are right it was an "RJ", a Bombardier CRJ-700. Good to hear those are being phased out! I guess the advise then is to avoid that specific aircraft. I have heard others complain about the route in similar ways though and I didn't think they all took the same plane, but maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.