'British' accents

Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'British' accents

Originally Posted by manghams
But mummy's are supposed to know everything, then the big wide world takes over
yeah before I know it he'll be a teenager and I won't know anything!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
yeah before I know it he'll be a teenager and I won't know anything!
I've got some of those too!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Have you watched Thomas the Tank Engine; Bob the Builder? American accents! Very disconcerting.
My brother sent a talking Bob toy from the UK... and it spoke like Neil Morrissey much to my surprise. Its now know for eternity in our house as "Funny Bob"....I tried to explain that he was "Proper Bob", but it fell unsurprisingly on deaf ears.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
My brother sent a talking Bob toy from the UK... and it spoke like Neil Morrissey much to my surprise. Its now know for eternity in our house as "Funny Bob"....I tried to explain that he was "Proper Bob", but it fell unsurprisingly on deaf ears.
There was an episode of Bobby the Builder on Treehouse with the American voices where Bob found some "porcupines" they were so obviously hedgehogs my OH thought it was very funny that I was getting annoyed!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
There was an episode of Bobby the Builder on Treehouse with the American voices where Bob found some "porcupines" they were so obviously hedgehogs my OH thought it was very funny that I was getting annoyed!
We brought a talking Bob the Builder bike; Neil Morrison!

Also brought Luna Jim, which is a Canadian cartoon, but ours have a british accent! I thought I could get more here, but they are hard to find, I'll have to get more sent from the UK!

Everything here seems back to front?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Mean you do earth on what?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Mean you do earth on what?
huh umm err
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:09 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
do you keep stuff in the trunk or the boot?

just had a statement returned to me as the crown felt there would be too much confusion with the sentance, "i then placed the controlled substance on the boot lid of my vehicle". the first of many i should imagine, i had whilst, carriageway and fire brigade in the last one.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

We brought a talking Bob the Builder bike; Neil Morrison!

Also brought Luna Jim, which is a Canadian cartoon, but ours have a british accent! I thought I could get more here, but they are hard to find, I'll have to get more sent from the UK!

[QUOTE=Rob4BC;5890187]Mean you do earth on what?[/QUOTE]

huh umm err
What on Earth do you mean?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

[quote=Rob4BC;5891038]
Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Mean you do earth on what?[/QUOTE]

What on Earth do you mean?

!around way wrong the And
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:26 am
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

As a non-native speaker from a non-English-speaking country all I can say is that I usually say that RP speakers have a British accent. I know there are huge differences within the British Isles - and most of the times I can even guess whether the person is from NI, Scotland or England (no idea about the Welsh accents, though).

I used to be interviewed by Radio BBC Cumbria (long story) and I had to pay extra attention to understand the questions. I thought my interviewer was Scots, but he wasn't. However, I think it all has to do with being used to your interlocutor's accent. One of my best friends is a Canuck who grew up in Scotland and England. His accent is Scottish (so he tells me), but to me it didn't sound Scottish at all. To this day, I think his is a very suave American accent (without the strong American RRRRs). I know why I don't think his accent is Scottish: when I was studying English the Scottish accent I was exposed to was from a lesson that took place in Edinburgh!

Anyway, I'd love to hear different accents and try to guess where they're from. If anyone feels like chatting briefly on the phone, just PM me.

Cheers,
LHK
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LHK

I used to be interviewed by Radio BBC Cumbria (long story)
But, perchance, an interesting one. Do share.

Novo
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:58 am
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But, perchance, an interesting one. Do share.

Novo
Hi, Novocastrian!

Well, about a little over two years ago I started listening to Radio BBC Cumbria (no specific reason - just wanted to listen to a regional radio) and to participate in the quiz-contests (won a prize once - a small notebook and a pen!). After a while I was invited by Paul Braithwaite to be interviewed in his programme (he interviews people all over the world and I was probably one of the few listeners from Brazil) and talk a bit about São Paulo and my life. I was interviewed two or three times then I had to stop - after my son was born. Paul's programme is a bit too late for me to be on the phone.

Hope this was interesting.

Cheers,
LHK
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:57 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944

My, what class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.