Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Brexperts: Now it's brown toast and potatoes

Brexperts: Now it's brown toast and potatoes

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexperts: Now it's brown toast and potatoes

Well I've had it then. I like browned toast or at least I don't mind it:

Browned toast and potatoes are 'potential cancer risk', say food scientists - BBC News

S
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:24 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexperts: Now it's brown toast and potatoes

Originally Posted by Snowy560

Browned toast and potatoes are 'potential cancer risk', say food scientists - BBC News

S
So we had roasties tonight and I have toast and marmite for brekkie with coffee which also has the 'deadly compound'. Research was done in mice...

Never mind the BBC, I will await the opinion of a truly researching journal like the Mail or the Express
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560

S
Nice picture of Warburton's though!

California made crisp manufacturer's lower the level of acrylamides in crisps to 275ppb between 2005-2008 to avoid putting a cancer warning label on their packets.

So this isn't new news....
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Nice picture of Warburton's though!

California made crisp manufacturer's lower the level of acrylamides in crisps to 275ppb between 2005-2008 to avoid putting a cancer warning label on their packets.

So this isn't new news....
I was about to say they sure are late to the table on this. I remember seeing the cancer warning signs at restaurants in regards to this on menus for many years living in California.

Warnings like this:

Spoiler:

and this

Spoiler:

The current 21 1/2 page list of chemicals/substances California considers to cause cancer.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 23rd 2017 at 3:54 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was about to say they sure are late to the table on this. I remember seeing the cancer warning signs at restaurants in regards to this on menus for many years living in California.

Warnings like this:

and this

The current 21 1/2 page list of chemicals/substances California considers to cause cancer.

Unfortunately, particularly California tends to put out actually ridiculous warning signs warning of possible health risks over the most benign things. I remember seeing when we were down in Disney-Anaheim -they are somewhat notorious for it

Attractions, other sites at Disneyland expose visitors to lead, group says - latimes

I am worried now as I touched the Sword in the Stone
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Unfortunately, particularly California tends to put out actually ridiculous warning signs warning of possible health risks over the most benign things. I remember seeing when we were down in Disney-Anaheim -they are somewhat notorious for it

Attractions, other sites at Disneyland expose visitors to lead, group says - latimes

I am worried now as I touched the Sword in the Stone
You really can't go a day without seeing a warning in California about cancer or reproductive harm and they are indeed on benign every day things all the way down to mugs and drinking glasses, plates and utensils.

The law that requires this was a voter initiative that was passed in the mid 80's by voters, and since then the list keeps getting longer and the warning signs more common and for the most part residents pay no attention to the signs, visitors sometimes are freaked out over them though. But for residents, well they are so common, its like crying wolf now, and nobody takes the warnings seriously.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 23rd 2017 at 4:34 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:38 am
I need a walk

You really can't go a day without seeing a warning in California about cancer or reproductive harm and they are indeed on benign every day things all the way down to mugs and drinking glasses, plates and utensils.

The law that requires this was a voter initiative that was passed in the mid 80's by voters, and since then the list keeps getting longer and the warning signs more common and for the most part residents pay no attention to the signs, visitors sometimes are freaked out over them though. But for residents, well they are so common, its like crying wolf now, and nobody takes the warnings seriously.
I wonder if there are a lot of Trump warnings going up all over the state, or is that just worldwide?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 6:23 am
Account Closed

I wonder if there are a lot of Trump warnings going up all over the state, or is that just worldwide?
Well one thing is almost guaranteed, the state government of California and Trump will likely butt heads on things in the next 4 years....
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I will await the opinion of a truly researching journal like the Mail or the Express
It was in the Guardian today. I was going to post it under a Farewell Roast Spuds (not) heading.

Unfortunately, particularly California tends to put out actually ridiculous warning signs warning of possible health risks over the most benign things.
Like this hot coffee is hot.

I remember the vacuum cleaner I bought when we set up home here had a warning about the power cord giving you cancer.

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

So we had roasties tonight and I have toast and marmite for brekkie with coffee which also has the 'deadly compound'. Research was done in mice...

Never mind the BBC, I will await the opinion of a truly researching journal like the Mail or the Express

I like my toast burnt & my spuds roasted. (Although the latter I eat more rarely). I'm screwed then. Pass the marmite!
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Can I sue my parents for all of the traditional Sunday lunches they gave me which consisted of Roast Beef/Lamb/Pork and roast and mashed potatoes etc
Oh how about beans on toast?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
...Sunday lunches...consisted of Roast Beef/Lamb/Pork and roast and mashed potatoes etc...
Seeing the price of Lamb, do you ever wonder how they afforded it? I know our family didn't have much but can it be that lamb was no more expensive than the other stuff?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Seeing the price of Lamb, do you ever wonder how they afforded it? I know our family didn't have much but can it be that lamb was no more expensive than the other stuff?
My memory doesn't go back that far regarding prices in the 1960's and 70's.
My family wasn't rich but I don't think lamb was that expensive.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My memory doesn't go back that far regarding prices in the 1960's and 70's.
My family wasn't rich but I don't think lamb was that expensive.
Mine neither but I do remember it was expensive and not buying it because of that in the 80s and 90s when I had my mum over for Sunday dinner and she never used to buy it either.

So it seems reasonable to assume it was similarly expensive before that, especially as it likely came from New Zealand.

We had it as much as any of the alternatives and from the things I never had as a child compared to friends and neighbours I know we didn't have much money.

Maybe it was all spent on Lamb.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Mine neither but I do remember it was expensive and not buying it because of that in the 80s and 90s when I had my mum over for Sunday dinner and she never used to buy it either.

So it seems reasonable to assume it was similarly expensive before that, especially as it likely came from New Zealand.

We had it as much as any of the alternatives and from the things I never had as a child compared to friends and neighbours I know we didn't have much money.

Maybe it was all spent on Lamb.
I have heard a rumour that there is the odd sheep in Yorkshire and Wales and was in the 60s and 70s. Even Lancashire had them but we considered them as animals and not girlfriends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.