Brexit benefit

Old Sep 28th 2021, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit benefit

Originally Posted by Mordko
Brits who happen to be engineers work in SI. Its only an issue of tradition in matters like buying a pound of X and the silliness of banning it.

In Canada we seem to be bipolar in the matters of prices per unit of X in the supermarket. Nobody is going to prison for using lb as far as I can tell.
Exactly!! You have nailed it.

For all intents and purposes Britain is a metric country, has been for decades. All manufacturing and engineering is carried out in SI units, the tradition of buying a pint of beer or a pound of apples and travelling in miles are the only imperial units used... which as you say was a ridiculous reason to ban it, it would have eventually fizzled out on its own, no eurocrat interference was ever required, it wasn't causing any harm as the important things had already crossed over to metric years ago! I was taught the metric system at school and the imperial system was a history subject, not something that was ever going to be used.

Its only since I have worked in Canada that I have actually had to learn the imperial system for real, and Canada is supposed to be a metric country!.... its ruled by its exports to the US who will never change.

Old Sep 28th 2021, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

The jury is still out. It was always clear that in the short term consequences will be negative. Except to the truck drivers whose pay is going up fast. And similar blue colour workers. Lets see what happens to the EU over the next 20 years or so.
The EU as we currently know it, will collapse.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Does that work both ways?
Unpicked food in the fields and now - according to the Haulage association - a quarter of the number of the driver shortage down to Brexit contributing to petrol shortages at the pumps and other supply issues, with the likelihood of the army being called in.
If you wish to continue to argue the merits of Brexit, go ahead, but it isn't going to get the UK back into the EU anytime soon.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe, but aren't we supposed to learn from history and not repeat mistakes? If these things can't be pointed out then mistakes don't get highlighted.
That would be fine if you were involved in a new referendum to rejoin. From this side of the pond, that doesn't appear to be on the cards.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I am not a Scottish nationalist but I disagree with you that the Scottish independence referendum put the issue to bed for a generation. A key argument in the Scottish independence referendum was the notion of EU membership - the UK government argued that an independent Scotland would not automatically gain EU membership, and knowing how important that was to the majority of Scots voters, insisted that the best way, or indeed only way, to retain EU membership was to remain in the UK. And a mere 2 years later Scotland was dragged out of the EU by the UK.

I'm sure that any competent lawyer could find a 'material change' argument in there somewhere.

There are many people who are coming to the realisation that a 51.8% result in a vote is, correctly, not a ringing endorsement. The sooner we as a nation accept that you can't force almost half the country to agree with you, the better the place will be. Consensus politics will always be better than simply denial of opposition.
I believe that it was communicated by all prior to the vote that it would put the matter to bed for a generation. Both sides can refer to what may have been said by those advocating for whatever side that the situation is not the same now as it was at the time of the vote but, unless you have evidence that all that voted against independence would have voted differently had they foreseen Brexit, the fact that Brexit occurred is, IMVHO, irrelevant.

I completely agree with your last sentence.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 7:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
The EU as we currently know it, will collapse.
I don't think it will.

I think other countries will look at Britain and not want to follow.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 7:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe that it was communicated by all prior to the vote that it would put the matter to bed for a generation.
That doesn't write anything in stone. Especially if it was politicians who said it.

The problem with Britain heading back to the EU is they had such a good deal before and likely would not get as good terms again. It was better to keep renegotiating from within than to tare out and try and start again. For now the course is set and Britain phases a tough transition period which at some point will almost certainly involve the loosening of immigration and movement once more.

Old Sep 28th 2021, 7:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I am not a Scottish nationalist but I disagree with you that the Scottish independence referendum put the issue to bed for a generation. A key argument in the Scottish independence referendum was the notion of EU membership - the UK government argued that an independent Scotland would not automatically gain EU membership, and knowing how important that was to the majority of Scots voters, insisted that the best way, or indeed only way, to retain EU membership was to remain in the UK. And a mere 2 years later Scotland was dragged out of the EU by the UK.

I'm sure that any competent lawyer could find a 'material change' argument in there somewhere.

There are many people who are coming to the realisation that a 51.8% result in a vote is, correctly, not a ringing endorsement. The sooner we as a nation accept that you can't force almost half the country to agree with you, the better the place will be. Consensus politics will always be better than simply denial of opposition.
Yes, material change is a valid argument from Scotland's perspective. A second Scottish referendum with the mandate to disolve the union may well be what brings the UK back to the table on EU membership (as opposed to the Labour party). The Buffoon can't hoodwink the nation forever.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 7:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

In light of the fact that the Labour party seems intent on ripping itself apart. I can't see a referendum on the UK joining the EU again being on the cards anytime soon.
Good to see you back AC.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 8:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am only good at predicting the past bit glad we have soothsayers around. Which stocks should I pick?
I think you will find that I have a consistent history here of posting approximately "leave the EU, are you nuts?". No hindsight required.

On another point here, no eurocrats imposed metric on the UK. Some industries in the UK liked it and adopted it pre-EU, some in the EU era. I expect industry will carry on with the same units now. It's not EU related.

If you think the EU imposed metric, look at a road sign and think about it.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 10:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That would be fine if you were involved in a new referendum to rejoin. From this side of the pond, that doesn't appear to be on the cards.
I wasn't thinking of that. I was thinking that next time a campaign is run on the basis things like a lie on a big red bus that people might be a bit more discerning.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 10:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Well poo.

I thought this was supposed to be a bit light hearted, tongue in cheek . It's quickly morphed into yet more of the same.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you will find that I have a consistent history here of posting approximately "leave the EU, are you nuts?". No hindsight required.

On another point here, no eurocrats imposed metric on the UK. Some industries in the UK liked it and adopted it pre-EU, some in the EU era. I expect industry will carry on with the same units now. It's not EU related.

If you think the EU imposed metric, look at a road sign and think about it.
Your track record of opinion about the future is clear; its whether it has any semblance to the actual future that I have no idea about.

Your opinion about the past is completely wrong. I can tell you that because, unlike with the future, I happen to know the past. EU directives postulated metrication. UK was permitted to delay compliance a few times but had to comply eventually. The measurements directive was one of several. Each member had to comply. You should check out EU Directives. Fun read. I used to have to know some of them for a living. And even wrote some of the implementation guidance. Yep, I am to blame.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

I am only good at predicting the past bit glad we have soothsayers around. Which stocks should I pick?
S&P 500, not FTSE.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 11:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't the whole Brexit debate about bendy versus straight bananas? I guess certain things have always been measured in inches.

Last edited by Oink; Sep 29th 2021 at 11:16 am.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 11:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Wasn't the whole Brexit debate about bendy versus straight bananas? I guess certain things have always been measured in inches.
Cucumbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.