Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Brexit 50p Oxford Comma Dilemma

The Brexit 50p Oxford Comma Dilemma

Old Jan 31st 2020, 3:31 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Brexit 50p Oxford Comma Dilemma

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
....maybe there should be donation boxes set up at choice locations so people can off unload their unwanted 50 pence pieces.
Every Remainer has his/her price and I suspect it's less than 50p.
Donation boxes will remain empty, Remainers will leave them alone, Leavers will remain content.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
The coin doesn’t matter in the slightest.

A reasonable insight into present circumstances by Gisela Stuart in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
Very good article. I think it sums up the last 47 years....its not since the 2016 referendum that just brought it to a head.... a lot of the British people didn't want political union in the first place! and its been continually forced upon them for 47 years, if only it had remained as EFTA. I believe it will go back to that. The UK is the first to leave the EU, I am pretty sure it wont be the last.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Every Remainer has his/her price and I suspect it's less than 50p.
Donation boxes will remain empty, Remainers will leave them alone, Leavers will remain content.
What else will they do with their unwanted 50 pence pieces that they receive in their change? go to the trouble of asking for a different one? seems like a lot of trouble.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

As per usual, difficult to argue with anything Mr. Pie says here:

Old Jan 31st 2020, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Very good article. I think it sums up the last 47 years....its not since the 2016 referendum that just brought it to a head.... a lot of the British people didn't want political union in the first place! and its been continually forced upon them for 47 years, if only it had remained as EFTA. I believe it will go back to that. The UK is the first to leave the EU, I am pretty sure it wont be the last.
52nd or continuing 28th state, the former looks more likely at this stage. Referendum was 25 years too late.

Our Brexit destiny in the 21st Century is a watershed philosophical choice, far beyond immediate trade
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...e_AtyQzpSH7dv8

Old Jan 31st 2020, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Thanks for that information, that really does provide some insight into the minds of the people who commissioned the coin. In this context, I find the coin to be a deliberately antagonistic symbol.
Setting a direction of travel, certainly, and no more antagonistic than the three pro-EEC/EU 50ps we've had previously.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 2:35 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

On a more obscure note...
Anyone who's old enough to remember pre-decimal UK coinage will wonder into which hole design artistry has been tossed.
I've no trouble with the message but the design of the reverse is awful, my 6 year old grandson would do better, he might even add the odd flourish, like a rendering of his favourite dinosaur, it could be no worse.
Imagination and style: is that something no longer required by a Royal Mint designer?
Old Feb 1st 2020, 2:35 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Without the Oxford or serial comma I could take it to mean peace as a standalone general declaration and only prosperity and friendship with all nations.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 7:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Without the Oxford or serial comma I could take it to mean peace as a standalone general declaration and only prosperity and friendship with all nations.
Would you really?

If you were outside the greengrocer's and the sign said "Onion's 99p a pound" would be thinking Onion is what? Or what was associated with the onion? Or would you think that a pound of onions were 99p?
Old Feb 1st 2020, 11:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's a naf coin with naf wording, naf punctuation, and overall just a big naffing tribute to nafness. Thankfully, I never have to use primitive cash anymore so will not be receiving on of these pathetic pieces. Given that half the country isn't celebrating, you'd think the government could find a better use for the funds.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:22 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Would you really?

If you were outside the greengrocer's and the sign said "Onion's 99p a pound" would be thinking Onion is what? Or what was associated with the onion? Or would you think that a pound of onions were 99p?
Let me re-phrase that. Without the Oxford comma the statement is more ambiguous. By including it we know more clearly that "peace with all nations" is also meant. I think it's important to be clear on a public inscription like this.

"Onion's 99p a pound" is grammatically incorrect though.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Let me re-phrase that. Without the Oxford comma the statement is more ambiguous. By including it we know more clearly that "peace with all nations" is also meant. I think it's important to be clear on a public inscription like this.

So how much are the onions if we make it grammatically correct then?
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sure but I was trying to make the point that the intentions - whether ambiguous or plain wrong - in both cases were obvious. In other cases it would be a lot more important.