Breakfast Choices

Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakfast Choices

Originally Posted by Danny B
This was my breakfast this morning - heart attack on a plate.
For a true sense of irony, the coke should been diet coke instead.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:51 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AllyS
The last couple of loaves of bread I bought (at Safeway) featured sugar in its various forms near the top of the list of ingredients. Result: horrible toast....

We switched to shopping at Safeway as less of a bun fight than Canadian Superstore. Selection not as good though.

Can anyone recommend a brand of sugar-free bread at Safeway? I managed to find a couple of types where it features near the bottom of the list of ingredients, but I hold out hope for bread that has NO SUGAR!
Why not buy a breadmaker and make your own bread!

Bread is so sweet here and so expensive, plus we have a child with an egg allergy. Got a half price Breadman in Canadian Tire about 6 months ago for around 80 bucks. It didn't take long to recoup the money and we can make fab, healthy homebaked bread that the kids will actually eat! I usually bung it on a dough setting and make up a batch of rolls for packed lunches every other day. Plus it makes lovely cinnamon raisin bread, pizza dough, artisan breads, etc
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
But Millie you live in France non? I'm picturing you breakfasting on oven warm buttery croissants dripping with pink framboise confiture or snapping a piece off a fresh baked baguette and spreading it thick with President butter. I love French breakfast, I am envious.
Mais oui victor! But I hate French breakfasts..... (the rest of the family love 'em). I have nothing to back up my theory but I am SURE that most French road accidents are caused by the fact that these people are desperate to get home by midday for lunch! How can you go all night and then just have a bloody croissant? I think in my heart I'm a Swede or a Northern European, the idea of a bit of fish or cheese, a boiled egg and a bit of black bread makes me happy. My Cradle OH wants his heart attack on a plate - but only once every few weeks. Then sometimes we have pancakes (I'd never had one in the UK - yes I'm British but my mother never made them - but here they call them crepes, and I think they are evidently the same as British pancakes... I don't like the look of the bit fat things in Canada - I have them with a bit of creme fraiche and the OH and kid with Maple Syrup. I wake up dreaming of my breakfast.....I'm definitely of the live to eat not the eat to live brigade!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

ChromeoHurts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday I went to an Irish bar on College. Had the weekender which included peameal bacon and a farmers sausage. I had to send barperson for HP. Coffee was an organic columbian. Rather tasty.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Homemade protein shake made with 3 raw eggs, 2 oz whipping cream, bit of unsweetned cocoa, and ice / water. Sounds like vomit, tastes bloody fab.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy

Bread is so sweet here and so expensive, plus we have a child with an egg allergy. Got a half price Breadman in Canadian Tire about 6 months ago for around 80 bucks. It didn't take long to recoup the money and we can make fab, healthy homebaked bread that the kids will actually eat! I usually bung it on a dough setting and make up a batch of rolls for packed lunches every other day. Plus it makes lovely cinnamon raisin bread, pizza dough, artisan breads, etc
^ This is what I do (make my own bread that is). I have a dairy allergy and most commercial bread contains dairy in at least one form... so I make my own.

Only I don;t use a breadmaker for it - I do it "long-hand" using my kitchenaid mixer.

Contrary to what most people think, making your own bread doesn't take hours and hours. It only takes a few minutes to mix the dough and the rest of the time is downtime. And with fast-raise yeasts, even that isn't a really long time. I put my dough in the oven with the light on and it will raise in about an hour and a half, during which time I go off and do something else.

I don't like the way bread tastes when it comes out of a breadmaker, the shape is not like a proper loaf and I hate the way that there is a hole in the bottom of the loaf.

Besides, I already owned the kitchenaid, so using that to mix the dough means I save even more money.

Breakfast for me was a soy yoghurt and a banana btw.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

We haven't got the room for any kitchen gadgets (breadmakers included) as we're renting and the kitchen is tiny. We had thought about doing this though.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

ChromeoHurts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AllyS
We haven't got the room for any kitchen gadgets (breadmakers included) as we're renting and the kitchen is tiny. We had thought about doing this though.
Same here... I live in a palatial 600 sq ft downtown condo. No room to swing my cats

I've got just about enough counter space for a coffee machine and that's it.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ChromeoHurts
Same here... I live in a palatial 600 sq ft downtown condo. No room to swing my cats

I've got just about enough counter space for a coffee machine and that's it.
We have our kettle and toaster on one side and microwave on the other, and thats it.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
^ This is what I do (make my own bread that is). I have a dairy allergy and most commercial bread contains dairy in at least one form... so I make my own.

Only I don;t use a breadmaker for it - I do it "long-hand" using my kitchenaid mixer.

Contrary to what most people think, making your own bread doesn't take hours and hours. It only takes a few minutes to mix the dough and the rest of the time is downtime. And with fast-raise yeasts, even that isn't a really long time. I put my dough in the oven with the light on and it will raise in about an hour and a half, during which time I go off and do something else.

I don't like the way bread tastes when it comes out of a breadmaker, the shape is not like a proper loaf and I hate the way that there is a hole in the bottom of the loaf.

Besides, I already owned the kitchenaid, so using that to mix the dough means I save even more money.

Breakfast for me was a soy yoghurt and a banana btw.
We've got one of those but I've only ever used it when I had to make a lot of mashed potatoes. How easy is it to make bread?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:59 am
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

OH earned himself a few points by bringing back a kilo bag of mini eggs from his last trip to Costco and I can't leave them alone....so I had the breakfast of champions; a large handful of mini eggs and a coffee!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
We've got one of those but I've only ever used it when I had to make a lot of mashed potatoes. How easy is it to make bread?
Dead easy.

Put some yeast in a bit of water until it starts frothing. Add flour and some salt and mix to a dough. Bung it in the oven with the pilot light on for an hour or so until it doubles in size. Knead, shape into a loaf. Bung back in the oven for 20 mins or so until it has doubled in size again and bake at 200 C/400 F.

Here is a[good basic bread recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/b...c-bread-recipe

But this one is a no-knead one that is even easier. No breadmachines or fancy gadgets needed.... http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/re...ml?dishid=9530
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:09 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I find there is still a bit of a snobby attitute that prevails against bread machines as foodies seem to think it's cheating! (no implication towards anyone here ) Maybe it is but if it makes life easier then I'm all for it

Early models did produce pretty weird looking loaves with a big hole in the bottom where the paddle is located. However mine creates a pretty good looking loaf rather than a flowerpot and minus the crater (the paddle collapses!)

If you want something a bit more artisan that guests think you hand kneaded from a Nigella recipe then simply put on a dough setting and then cook yourself.

You do need to make minor adjustments to the recipes for eg to allow for altitude here in Alberta you need to add a little more liquid to the recipe. I personally would not recommend leaving on an overnight setting unless you want something resembling cake for breakfast!

With the time constaints of busy family life I love my breadmaker
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I find there is still a bit of a snobby attitute that prevails against bread machines as foodies seem to think it's cheating! (no implication towards anyone here ) Maybe it is but if it makes life easier then I'm all for it

Early models did produce pretty weird looking loaves with a big hole in the bottom where the paddle is located. However mine creates a pretty good looking loaf rather than a flowerpot and minus the crater (the paddle collapses!)

If you want something a bit more artisan that guests think you hand kneaded from a Nigella recipe then simply put on a dough setting and then cook yourself.

You do need to make minor adjustments to the recipes for eg to allow for altitude here in Alberta you need to add a little more liquid to the recipe. I personally would not recommend leaving on an overnight setting unless you want something resembling cake for breakfast!

Sold!!! I'm going to pop out to buy one today.

Breakfast = Strawberry flavoured Protein Shake and a run along the seawall
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

For me it has nothing to do with being snobby or even that I think it is cheating (hey if it works for you great!). I used to own a bread maker, and I didn't like the way the bread tasted - it had this "weird" taste that you don't get with bread made longhand (maybe I just like the way handmade bread tastes?).

Besides, I don't see the need for a separate machine to knead and bake my bread when I already own a stand-mixer and an oven that are perfectly able to cope with doing that. Plus, I like to be able to make bread rolls for the kids and Mr Chookie's packed lunches - if I was using a bread machine I would have to shape, raise and bake them myself... ie nothing different to what my kitchenaid does....

And as for busy family life.... I have that too - 4 kids, one hubby, both Mr Chookie and I work, I am in school 1 day a week (plus extra school work - writing up case study, practicum etc), we have 2 dogs, 2 cats.... busy, busy, busy in our house. but I do find time to bake bread - mostly I do it in the evening while doing research for my case-study paper.... I am sat at the kitchen table anyway, so it is no hardship to have a couple of loaves of bread and a dozen bread rolls in the oven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.