Breakfast Choices

Old Sep 20th 2021, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breakfast Choices

Yogurt as usual…key lime pie flavoured this morning.

How I long for a crispy bacon sandwich.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 12:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Why on earth would anyone be angry at a food product that they don't have to eat if they don't want to? It's Gammonism gone mad.
Silly sausage.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 12:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would anyone be angry at a food product that they don't have to eat if they don't want to? It's Gammonism gone mad.
Originally Posted by BEVS
Silly sausage.
I'm not going to mince my words, it's a misteak.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 2:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think it was the butchers string that added at least five dollars to the cost. Maybe they were worried it was going to escape?
Artisanal hipster tax. How many blocks would you have to go for a good bahn mi? On the east side they're all over the place, I'm guessing for $8 or so. I pay $7.70 at my go-to place these days. Because they put the baguette in the oven for about 12 minutes I phone 15 min ahead then go pick them up.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 20th 2021 at 2:43 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 5:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bacon sandwich, no regrets.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 7:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Artisanal hipster tax. How many blocks would you have to go for a good bahn mi? On the east side they're all over the place, I'm guessing for $8 or so. I pay $7.70 at my go-to place these days. Because they put the baguette in the oven for about 12 minutes I phone 15 min ahead then go pick them up.
There's a new one opened up a couples of blocks away. I find the bread too dry and the filling tasteless. They should use Keen's mustard.
Old Sep 20th 2021, 8:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oink
They should use Keen's mustard.
That would overpower the pate'. The bun is crusty, that's baguette for you, but there should be flavours galore. Could be inferior sandwiches riding on a classy locale so I'd try looking further afield. The sandwich is a legacy of the French occupation and one of my favourite take-outs. I discovered it in 1983 in back of a little grocery store somewhere around the Ovaltine. They had about 80 different kinds of nuoc' mam sauce in one section and a little counter at the back where they made the sandwiches. Sadly the take out service faltered by around 2000 and I don't know if it ever bounced back. I never had one as good in Vancouver again, but I still like them.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 2:43 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Steak and eggs today.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I long for a real nice bit of Gammon with eggs.... you cant get gammon here like you can in the UK....

Originally Posted by caretaker
Steak and eggs today.
This is a very close second though!!

Old Sep 21st 2021, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I long for a real nice bit of Gammon with eggs.... you cant get gammon here like you can in the UK....

Find a local slaughterhouse and ask them to prepare it exactly as you like it. Rural towns seem to have them.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://thehealthybutcher.com/uncook...ham-roast.html
https://www.whisperingmeadows.ca/ham...-heritage-hogs

Country Ham or Virginia Ham (joint or steak) are similar (salt cured) - Old Fashioned Ham (bone in) and Farmboy bone in smoked ham is good too (like a decent bit of ham in the UK)

https://www.lovepork.co.uk/how-to-gu...en-gammon-ham/
https://www.lovepork.co.uk/how-to-gu...gammon-steaks/
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Find a local slaughterhouse and ask them to prepare it exactly as you like it. Rural towns seem to have them.
Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://thehealthybutcher.com/uncook...ham-roast.html
https://www.whisperingmeadows.ca/ham...-heritage-hogs

Country Ham or Virginia Ham (joint or steak) are similar (salt cured) - Old Fashioned Ham (bone in) and Farmboy bone in smoked ham is good too (like a decent bit of ham in the UK)

https://www.lovepork.co.uk/how-to-gu...en-gammon-ham/
https://www.lovepork.co.uk/how-to-gu...gammon-steaks/
Thank you both! Maybe Ill see if he's got some nice cuts of lamb too.... (not breakfast I know) but I really enjoy lamb, I find metro isn't bad for its range of lamb now.... but obviously you can't beat a butcher.... I have found you get what you pay for in some areas.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both! Maybe Ill see if he's got some nice cuts of lamb too.... (not breakfast I know) but I really enjoy lamb, I find metro isn't bad for its range of lamb now.... but obviously you can't beat a butcher.... I have found you get what you pay for in some areas.
We raise our own lambs and, after doing so, our slaughterhouse informed us that lots of people near us raise them and sell them too. We had no idea as trying to find lamb around here is like trying to find rocking horse shit.

My doctor is my neighbour and his children are in 4H and raise lambs too. He sells them to Asians, I think, for $300 per lamb, butchered as they want them.

We don't buy any meat from any grocery store. We raise our own lamb and chicken and are thinking about raising our own pigs too and any meat we need we obtain from others like us that raise their own cows and pigs. It's amazing how long half a pig/cow will last if you have it butchered as you like it. In Alberta, there is a system called "Loop" whereby local grocery stores provide all manner of food that is about to expire to you for free. You need to pick up whatever they are offering and, in theory, you are not allowed to eat it yourself, but that system provides for all manner of fruit, veg and bread that we feed to our chickens, meat that we grind to make raw for our dogs and, if we raised pigs, would be able to easily feed them too.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in the UK one of my daughter’s friends had sheep/lambs. One lamb in particular my daughter helped feed. One day she was at their house having dinner, when her friend said they were eating Snowy. My daughter was distraught. It put her off eating lamb for life. 🐑
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we lived in the UK one of my daughter’s friends had sheep/lambs. One lamb in particular my daughter helped feed. One day she was at their house having dinner, when her friend said they were eating Snowy. My daughter was distraught. It put her off eating lamb for life. 🐑
My wife names all of our lambs and can't be with me when I take them to be slaughtered. She does, however, eat them once they have been returned. Make of that what you will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.