British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Bramley cooking apples (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/bramley-cooking-apples-850087/)

helcat12 Jan 6th 2015 2:32 am

Bramley cooking apples

Anyone know where to get them?
The rubbish, sweet, pappy apples used for cooking here so far have left me decidedly underwhelmed, and my roast pork without a suitable partner.

Flossie and Jim Jan 6th 2015 2:55 am

Re: Bramley cooking apples

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 11523101)
The rubbish, sweet, pappy apples used for cooking here so far have left me decidedly underwhelmed, and my roast pork without a suitable partner.

I had some success with granny smiths for an apple crumble recently.

Aviator Jan 6th 2015 2:56 am

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 11523101)

Contact Us

alternatively, Transparent is the variety most widely used here.

You could also plant a couple of apple trees and wait a while.

Piff Poff Jan 6th 2015 3:44 am

Bramleys are a distant memory. Granny's with less sugar in the recipes or even teeny tiny crab type apples.

emmabell Jan 6th 2015 4:26 am

I got some at our local farmers market although they were quite expensive. I have saved the pips but don't think I will have much success, they take years to grow. The lady at the farmers market lives in Cedar, which is near Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. She didn't give me her address. We actually had to drive to Victoria airport at one time and found there are a lot of farms around that area with lots of different apples. It was the wrong time of year but we were told they did grow them there. Perhaps try Google

Alan2005 Jan 6th 2015 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11523116)
Contact Us

alternatively, Transparent is the variety most widely used here.

You could also plant a couple of apple trees and wait a while.

Have bramley, but no russet :(

Alan2005 Jan 6th 2015 4:29 am

Originally Posted by emmabell (Post 11523167)
I got some at our local farmers market although they were quite expensive. I have saved the pips but don't think I will have much success, they take years to grow. The lady at the farmers market lives in Cedar, which is near Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. She didn't give me her address. We actually had to drive to Victoria airport at one time and found there are a lot of farms around that area with lots of different apples. It was the wrong time of year but we were told they did grow them there. Perhaps try Google

You can't grow apples from pips because the fruit is different every time and you are most likely to get crab apples. You need to graft a piece of tree onto root stock.

Oink Jan 6th 2015 5:10 am

How about a cox's orange pippin?

Zoe Bell Jan 6th 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11523182)
How about a cox's orange pippin?

I think you can get tablets for that :)

helcat12 Jan 6th 2015 1:07 pm

Wow! A record for the reversion to crude apple inuendo!
Never mind!
Aviator - a positive response from Brian tells me there is hope for my pie making, and my pork will no longer 've lonely and forlorn.
My sausage plait will once more be jeweller with glossy, fragrant, juicy jewels of Bramley!

My husband has been pining for a taste of home and a proper apple crumble - this could be it!!
Thanks, Aviator and others for helping me out.

BeenTrainingDogs Oct 3rd 2015 11:40 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can buy Bramley Apples in Toronto or anywhere in Southern Ontario?

I managed to find one site that claims to sell them: Orchards - Canada - ON - O'Keefe Grange

It's a 2.5 hour drive each way and I'm more than willing to make it (Apple crumble is just the best), but just wondered if there's anywhere closer?

Thanks!

NessieOggy Oct 4th 2015 9:26 pm

This BC Tree Fruits link might help with selecting a variety...

Apples | BC Tree Fruits

Pizzawheel Oct 5th 2015 12:15 pm

If you're staying where you are planting a sapling is the long term answer. My neighbour has tones of what look like cooking apples all over the shop, she actually collects them and puts them in boxes to encourage passes by to take them. But I'm more than 2.5 hour drive from BC...