Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bored, cabin fever? How about........

Bored, cabin fever? How about........

Old Sep 8th 2020, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bored, cabin fever? How about........

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Genuine question: how are you bored? I don't mean that in the way it comes across, I'm really interested as to how anybody can be bored these days, even my teenage kids have never once uttered the 'I'm bored' thing. I've just had 6 months of enforced shutdown and still have about a million things I'd love to do if I had the time, I can't imagine ever being bored! There's always a ton of books I'd like to read if I had the time, recipes to cook, places to explore, things to learn, boxsets to watch. I'd love to learn another language or do a degree if I had the time (one day). I've lived here 9 years and there are still places I've never been to in the area, would love the time to take the dogs and walk to them rather than just doing our quick usual loop because I don't have time for more.

This year has taught me one thing: that I don't need to fear retirement.

Lack of activities I enjoy doing, and can keep my attention on and stay busy and stimulated.

This video is fun.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 8th 2020 at 7:02 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 2:28 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am having an incredibly hard time beating the boredom, I have been reading a lot on boredom though and why it occurs so its making more sense as to why I am bored all the time....reading about boredom to try and not be bored,
This podcast will help kill 4hrs.
I had no idea who David Choe was until I Googled him at the end, but my God, that pod cast was incredible. So many stories, so many emotions.

Old Sep 10th 2020, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of activities I enjoy doing, and can keep my attention on and stay busy and stimulated.
Maybe try some new stuff, see if you can find other things you enjoy doing? What do you enjoy at the moment?
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe try some new stuff, see if you can find other things you enjoy doing? What do you enjoy at the moment?
These are the activities I find enjoyable and generally never bored doing.

Large zoo's like the San Diego Zoo for example.
Theme Parks like Disneyland.
Museums
Public Aquariums
Travel
Having an aquarium at home to design and redesign and work on.
flying, being around aircraft.
riding trains

Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The two enemies of human happiness are pain and boredom.
Arthur Schopenhauer.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
The two enemies of human happiness are pain and boredom.
Arthur Schopenhauer.
pain is the worst.

Most of my boredom also stems from being alone so much, sure it's easy to say make friends, meet people, but making friends and meeting people is not something I excel at, I didn't have friends as a child either.

I think the isolation and being alone so much leads to a lot of the boredom, when you have spent most of your life mostly alone, its hard to not be bored.

Back before social media when forums were around, I could spend hours talking with people, so had that time frame when I wasn't bored, but the majority of forums are gone, or no active, and social media is far more toxic and not healthy by any means, so even the internet is boring, I am just not the pod cast type, I need to be out doing things not to be bored, and that is the ultimate problem, there isn't a whole lot to do in BC if your not into the outdoors and outdoor sports.

15 more years and I will be old enough for seniors groups, so maybe then I will have something to occupy my time....

I guess in a way loneliness brings on boredom.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 10th 2020 at 6:21 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 6:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For those with Netflix access -- September new offerings - and those that will be dropped
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b64f17e1411cda

Old Sep 16th 2020, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Genuine question: how are you bored? I don't mean that in the way it comes across, I'm really interested as to how anybody can be bored these days, even my teenage kids have never once uttered the 'I'm bored' thing. I've just had 6 months of enforced shutdown and still have about a million things I'd love to do if I had the time, I can't imagine ever being bored! There's always a ton of books I'd like to read if I had the time, recipes to cook, places to explore, things to learn, boxsets to watch. I'd love to learn another language or do a degree if I had the time (one day). I've lived here 9 years and there are still places I've never been to in the area, would love the time to take the dogs and walk to them rather than just doing our quick usual loop because I don't have time for more.

This year has taught me one thing: that I don't need to fear retirement.
I've noticed that I do not have an appreciation for 'the mundane' - if I don't have a significant social event, new experience, new purchase of something, to look forward to I get bored. I try and fill my time with things - language classes, extra courses while working to get at my diploma faster, going to visit friends etc but it is a vicious cycle and just as soon as one thing finishes I want to get to the next thing. And I end up doing things just to keep busy and not actually enjoy them, because i've filled my schedule with so much I can't sit down and savour everything i'm doing.

It's especially difficult right now as all the COVID messaging and guidelines encourage us to be content with staying at home and reading, studying etc and avoid things that might be a bit more stimulating for someone like me.

I also feel like I have nothing to look forward to since everything is up in the air and it's impossible to plan even 3-4 months into the future as we don't know where this all encompassing pandemic will be by then.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gozit
I've noticed that I do not have an appreciation for 'the mundane' - if I don't have a significant social event, new experience, new purchase of something, to look forward to I get bored. I try and fill my time with things - language classes, extra courses while working to get at my diploma faster, going to visit friends etc but it is a vicious cycle and just as soon as one thing finishes I want to get to the next thing. And I end up doing things just to keep busy and not actually enjoy them, because i've filled my schedule with so much I can't sit down and savour everything i'm doing.

It's especially difficult right now as all the COVID messaging and guidelines encourage us to be content with staying at home and reading, studying etc and avoid things that might be a bit more stimulating for someone like me.

I also feel like I have nothing to look forward to since everything is up in the air and it's impossible to plan even 3-4 months into the future as we don't know where this all encompassing pandemic will be by then.

That sums a lot of it up well. I am good as long as I have new experiences to keep my brain stimulated and happy and engaged which is not an easy task. Everyone's brain is wired differently, and some people just get bored more easily, just how humans are.

For some books are entertaining for others they find reading boring and not stimulating enough.

Old Sep 17th 2020, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

That sums a lot of it up well. I am good as long as I have new experiences to keep my brain stimulated and happy and engaged which is not an easy task. Everyone's brain is wired differently, and some people just get bored more easily, just how humans are.

For some books are entertaining for others they find reading boring and not stimulating enough.
As a kid up to 14 I loved reading. High school English class ruined it for me, I hated reading and having to analyze the text, stop to make notes, record quotes etc. I just wanted to read the book and enjoy it. I probably haven't picked up a book in 3-4 years.

I don't enjoy TV that much either.