Border Security

Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Border Security

For anyone who watches this, how the hell is this allowed? Seems like a significant invasion of privacy to me. I assume that people are told their rights and they can choose to be excluded?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Security

Originally Posted by dishwashing
For anyone who watches this, how the hell is this allowed? Seems like a significant invasion of privacy to me. I assume that people are told their rights and they can choose to be excluded?
Yes they can sign waivers or choose not to appear and they are not strong armed or coerced into appearing. Its not like anyone lies to border officials is it?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

VainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of light

I do watch it regularly as I find it very informative on Border crossing laws. On the matter of human rights, based on the fact that some CBSA agents and citizens passing the border have their face 'blurred' by camera and some don't, I assume they give their consent for a full showing of their identity.

If you like border shows, I recommend UK Border Patrol. Only two seasons, but it follows UK border agents at airports, discovering clandestines hidden in trucks passing from Calais,and raiding restaurants & houses for illegal workers.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:21 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Aussie one the best. Just like hearing the Australian accent, and their facilities are less third world than Britain. Have not seen the Canadian one yet.

I'm also surprised that people participate, especially those that are doing something dodgy. I guess if they are stupid enough to smuggle they are stupid enough to have it filmed for an international audience.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

VainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shard
I'm also surprised that people participate, especially those that are doing something dodgy. I guess if they are stupid enough to smuggle they are stupid enough to have it filmed for an international audience.
My theory is that if they are going to go down, at least they are going to go down on tv. The 'Star Syndrome'.

Code:
Its not like anyone lies to border officials is it?
It's always funny to see people digging themselves deeper into the hole with their 'explanations' on the show.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

It must be really easy for CBSA to spot the criminals, because they all have blurry heads!

I like some of the employees' facial expressions they caught for the opening sequence of the 2013 series...

What happens to the CBSA staff who have been on telly - surely they can't carry on with front-line duties because they will end up with minor celebrity status. Do they get appearance fees?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:33 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VainQuill
My theory is that if they are going to go down, at least they are going to go down on tv. The 'Star Syndrome'.

Code:
Its not like anyone lies to border officials is it?
It's always funny to see people digging themselves deeper into the hole with their 'explanations' on the show.
The other possibility is that the believe it is some sort of CBSA test, and if you say no, suspicions may be aroused. The hole digging and fake explanations are definitely amusing.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes they can sign waivers or choose not to appear and they are not strong armed or coerced into appearing. Its not like anyone lies to border officials is it?
Ok FL.

I found it interesting that the theme song is 'would you lie to me?'
The Canadian officers seem a bit more rigid but I guess it must be a frustrating job at times, like all ones
Old Oct 5th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I feel sorry for the poorer folks (not the criminals) and don't find their screening amusing, but also, every country needs to defend its borders
Old Oct 5th 2014, 12:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I think that on the whole they are remarkably pleasant and polite....I have lived in a number of countries where this whishy whashy nonsense would not have been tolerated. I think that Canadian Border Secutity seems to be far nicer than many countries would be.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I watched the Australian and Kiwi versions on the same channel, they seem a bit nicer. The Canadian ones seem a bit more military to me, but I guess that's just their style
Old Oct 6th 2014, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've always encountered very nice officers at yvr, definitely not 'military'.

I like the Australian one more because it's interesting to see all the food stuffs they are bringing in and then saying their auntie packed their bags, haha!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Clearly you're not Polish.

Frankly I get a bit bored of them and they wind me up, for example all the people they pull travelling up to Alaska for stupid things like having a tiny amount of drugs or not declaring booze. How is alcohol taxed anyway when your intent is travel from the US to the US? That makes no sense to me. Can you claim it back?

The most amusing one I've seen was some IT guy travelling to Toronto via Vancouver from L.A. and it was clear he was going to be working there for a few days and the CBSA inspector kept dropping hints that it was okay for him to work if he would just admit that was what he was doing and the guy never cottoned on and withdrew his application to enter!

The American ones are better but they all seem to have disappeared, I think CBP decided they were a threat to security. I thought Border Wars was quite interesting, all the various ways the drug smugglers hide things inside vehicles.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:23 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl

I like the Australian one more because it's interesting to see all the food stuffs they are bringing in and then saying their auntie packed their bags, haha!
Never had any problems at Toronto or Hamilton either. Then again life is generally pretty easy on British or Irish passports.

Did get the inquisition at Detroit but that was the Yanks being uppity as usual. The bloke at Port Huron, MI (Sarnia) was far more amenable so I usually go that crossing now.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, I've found the border security folk quite reasonable and courteous on the whole in my experience, but am referring to the show in my OP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.