British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/books-changed-your-lives-least-made-you-think-523047/)

MrsLauder99 Mar 23rd 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6100635)
Souv told me that Mike Holmes is much shorter in real life.

As long as he's not tooo short ;)

Coffeepot Mar 23rd 2008 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by MrsLauder99 (Post 6103263)
As long as he's not tooo short ;)

He doesn't look short ( just fit ) on TV :o

now what do i need fixing :rofl:

Wannabe Mar 24th 2008 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6103295)
now what do i need fixing :rofl:

*trips on coffeepot's rug, breaks the coffeetable and a chair in the fall, while the floorlamp being knocked over makes a solid hole in the wall*

Oh dear, I'm SO sorry! Clumsy me... ;)

Coffeepot Mar 24th 2008 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wannabe (Post 6104205)
*trips on coffeepot's rug, breaks the coffeetable and a chair in the fall, while the floorlamp being knocked over makes a solid hole in the wall*

Oh dear, I'm SO sorry! Clumsy me... ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am very good at mouth to mouth though ;) if he is on the floor,, ooowww young man :blink:

Lesley2339 Mar 24th 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6086357)
Was just having a conflab with one of the girls at work (who is quite religious to the extent that the bible is the law) about how she can so vehemently defend it when we live in the land of the dinosaurs here and there is evolutionary evidence all around us.

It made me think about a book I read (well 3 actually) called Conversations with God. Now I didn't have some gospel moment happening, far from it because I think that the Bible is a lot of random stories heaped together with a bit of Chinese whispers thrown in for good measure, but it really made me have a lot more belief in myself and my own abilities to change my life and strive for the things that I want.

I'll never forget the minute I finished the first one, I just felt better about me.

Not saying it would happen for everyone or indeed if its true but have any of you read anything that has changed you.

Hi Mandymoochops,
I am not a reader but this book really got me thingking and did change my way of thinking. 'The Secret' by Rhonda Byrne you have to read it all (I know of some who have read the first chapter and think it is just a motivational book). I read it, then I watched the movie, not the same, then I listened to the 4 CD's. I listen to the CD's every day and read the book at least once a month. I am so happy, I have everything I could ever want plus more... It made me realise what I have and the law of attration.
'What you think is what you'll get'.....

bazzz Mar 24th 2008 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Lesley2339 (Post 6106428)
'What you think is what you'll get'.....

That certainly makes it sound like a load of old bollocks. What's it about then?

Lesley2339 Mar 24th 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6106434)
That certainly makes it sound like a load of old bollocks. What's it about then?

That's what everyone says: You really have to read it, everyone gets something different out of it. I don't think about negative things, like what if this or that happens... Think only about what you want that makes you happy. You of course have to be very grateful and thankful. Then everything falls into place...it's like Karma.. What goes around comes around... in many different forms. We sat back being very gratful and suddenly we won money, then we got an inheratance...then we got our house, everything just fell into place.. and it has not stopped...Read the book..

Novocastrian Mar 24th 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by gingnut (Post 6102521)
The Shakespeare they made me read in high school. Hated It! Its not because I couldn't understand it, because I could. Except for some good one liners, these plays were pointless. Thats taught me to always question the experts!

I agree, whoa totally, like! What's the point of some Elizabethan dickhead scribbling all that nonsense when we could be listening to our ipod playing Kylie Minestronni? Like? Yea, right on. Question those experts in every goddam thingy. Go sister!!!

bazzz Mar 24th 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lesley2339 (Post 6106530)
That's what everyone says: You really have to read it, everyone gets something different out of it. I don't think about negative things, like what if this or that happens... Think only about what you want that makes you happy. You of course have to be very grateful and thankful. Then everything falls into place...it's like Karma.. What goes around comes around... in many different forms. We sat back being very gratful and suddenly we won money, then we got an inheratance...then we got our house, everything just fell into place.. and it has not stopped...Read the book..

Christ. Looks like I was right!

gingnut Mar 24th 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6106535)
I agree, whoa totally, like! What's the point of some Elizabethan dickhead scribbling all that nonsense when we could be listening to our ipod playing Kylie Minestronni? Like? Yea, right on. Question those experts in every goddam thingy. Go sister!!!

I guess suggesting that Shakespeare could possibly over rated in a forum for Brits may of lacked wisdom. Always know your audience. However the only way you choose to defend old bill was to imply that I was a twit. Nothing about his work. And suggesting I'm a Kylie fan? THAT WAS LOW! I think you owe me an apology for that. I have an opinion about Shakespeare, an opinion based on watching some of his plays, reading and studying his work. Not because he was some silly dude that dressed in tights and ruffles that could not spell. Although that should be enough to discredit him. If he is really that great then tell me this, do you know anyone who read his work just for fun? Coz I sure don't!

Novocastrian Mar 25th 2008 12:19 am

Originally Posted by gingnut (Post 6107110)
I guess suggesting that Shakespeare could possibly over rated in a forum for Brits may of lacked wisdom. Always know your audience. However the only way you choose to defend old bill was to imply that I was a twit. Nothing about his work. And suggesting I'm a Kylie fan? THAT WAS LOW! I think you owe me an apology for that. I have an opinion about Shakespeare, an opinion based on watching some of his plays, reading and studying his work. Not because he was some silly dude that dressed in tights and ruffles that could not spell. Although that should be enough to discredit him. If he is really that great then tell me this, do you know anyone who read his work just for fun? Coz I sure don't!

I hear Kylie is a secret fan of Much Ado About Nothing while Princess Diana was addicted to The Merry Wives of Windsor.

But I'm not an expert.

Steve&Tanya Mar 25th 2008 4:52 am

Today Matters by John Maxwell
9 Things you simply must do to succeed in Love and Life by Dr Henry Cloud

Currently reading Think Big and Kick Ass by Donald Trump and Bill Zanker

this charming man Mar 25th 2008 5:02 am

" A fine balance" Rohinton Mistry, spellbinding and magical a journey to another world,it will touch your heart and leave you aching for more.
The book you will hate finishing.

gingnut Mar 25th 2008 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6108488)
I hear Kylie is a secret fan of Much Ado About Nothing while Princess Diana was addicted to The Merry Wives of Windsor.

But I'm not an expert.

I think playwright, the popstar, and the princess were all overrated. I guess I can't post on here anymore cuz that statement will alienate everyone.

Littletashy Mar 26th 2008 8:01 am

Originally Posted by gingnut (Post 6107110)

As I gingerly raise my hand, I have to say I did read the Tempest and yep just for fun:o, I love that play....

As for a book that made me think differently.... Ugly by Constance Briscoe, It is quite harrowing and I cried as I read most of it but the next time some one says to me 'my upbringing was so bad' so now i do drugs, mug old ladys etc etc I'd say read that book and then tell me you had it bad!!! Constance Briscoe was badly abused mentally and physically by her mother but is now a barrister and part time judge....she was one of the first Black woman judges and is, I think an inspiration, I'm about to read Beyond Ugly which is the second half of her autobiography no doubt I will cry alot, but I know that my life is in my hands!!