bongo bongo land

Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bongo bongo land

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Which means no actual opposition to what was said, which moves it into an area of respectability that it otherwise wouldn't have, which means the language gains a little more acceptance and greater use etc etc and then in a few small steps we're back to routine use of offensive and negative expressions.
Not at all. If you don't like what someone says, you ask them to explain themselves. Not taking offence and acceptability are completely separate issues.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:14 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But I am not talking of banning any words or thoughts. Quite the opposite. Words are just words and an individual can think what they want. All I am suggesting is that there is nothing big or clever in saying things that might cause offence without a care.

I don't get how the rise of Fascism can be blamed on politeness.
We agree on the first two parts you write here. On fascism I am saying that the rise of it can be partly attributed to the banning of thoughts via words on the subject of race and immigration when these problems should be reasoned out of society using argument. Politeness is important, but freedom of expression is essential.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

all this fuss over bongo bongo and now, if that were not bad enough, we hear of possible racist overtones, all over a stupid overpriced handbag

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entert...9780M920130809

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 10th 2013 at 12:21 am.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
all this fuss over bongo bongo and now, if that were not bad enough, we hear of possible of racist overtones, all over a stupid overpriced handbag

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entert...9780M920130809
I read about this earlier in the week. It might be that the shop assistant was trying to direct Winfrey to cheaper items, thinking she was being helpful. Winfrey also is probably used to being treated somewhere being goddess and queen in the US and perhaps the Swiss attitude wasn't obsequious enough for her. I might add that $38,000 handbags are an affront to decency.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:32 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
We agree on the first two parts you write here. On fascism I am saying that the rise of it can be partly attributed to the banning of thoughts via words on the subject of race and immigration when these problems should be reasoned out of society using argument. Politeness is important, but freedom of expression is essential.
No argument from me on that.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I read about this earlier in the week. It might be that the shop assistant was trying to direct Winfrey to cheaper items, thinking she was being helpful. Winfrey also is probably used to being treated somewhere being goddess and queen in the US and perhaps the Swiss attitude wasn't obsequious enough for her. I might add that $38,000 handbags are an affront to decency.
seems that the Swiss are denied being able to watch the Oprah show which means, horror of horrors, most of them have never heard of her.

what is sickening is that someone would fork out that sort of cash for a handbag, worse still is this bullshit of possible racism

Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you refer to manholes and the like as personholes or are you an outdated, racist cretin too?
It's PC gone mad mate eh? Can't even call folk wogs anymore without them getting offended. Broken Britain.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not at all. If you don't like what someone says, you ask them to explain themselves. Not taking offence and acceptability are completely separate issues.
But sometimes you don't need to ask someone to explain themselves. Sometimes one is familiar with the sort of language used and the intent behind it. Other times it's a repeat of a prior controversy.

In this case it''s a well known derogatory expression and he's been trying to wriggle out of it ever since.

I'm not offended. He's just an arse.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:02 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdizzle
It's PC gone mad mate eh? Can't even call folk wogs anymore without them getting offended. Broken Britain.
I'm quite fond of Almost Canadian, or Major Tom as I call him. He has a remarkable talent for digging holes. He claims to be a lawyer in Calgary. If you need a brief in Calgary, probably best to instruct someone from out of town.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:13 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

But sometimes you don't need to ask someone to explain themselves. Sometimes one is familiar with the sort of language used and the intent behind it. Other times it's a repeat of a prior controversy.

In this case it''s a well known derogatory expression and he's been trying to wriggle out of it ever since.

I'm not offended. He's just an arse.
It's not that we'll known, as I had never heard of it (although obviously I can deduce what it means). However, Bloom has not been "trying to wriggle out of it ever since" he's standing by it as a colourful remark, though having to toe the party line.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that we'll known, as I had never heard of it (although obviously I can deduce what it means). However, Bloom has not been "trying to wriggle out of it ever since" he's standing by it as a colourful remark, though having to toe the party line.
So when you heard the phrase and the deduced what it meant, what images and thoughts were conjured up to help your interpretation. What in fact do you think it means?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that we'll known, as I had never heard of it
Well enough known for its use by Alan Clark in 1985 to cause a major stink.

However, Bloom has not been "trying to wriggle out of it ever since" he's standing by it as a colourful remark, though having to toe the party line.
Standing by it? He made an apology and he's since backtracked on the apology somewhat by claiming it has innocent meanings.

Wriggling.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 10th 2013 at 3:10 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well enough known for its use by Alan Clark in 1985 to cause a major stink.

Standing by it? He made an apology and he's since backtracked on the apology somewhat by claiming it has innocent meanings.

Wriggling.
it is clear, very clear, that he never apologised

but if he did i do not think he meant a word of it

why should he anyway?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:16 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by montreal mike
it is clear, very clear, that he never apologised
Apology report
Godfrey Bloom, a senior Ukip politician, has said sorry for any "genuine" offence caused by his use of the term "bongo bongo land", after pressure from Nigel Farage.

The MEP said he had apologised after being told by his party leader that the phrase could be seen as "disparaging" to foreigners.

Bloom found himself at the centre of a furore after he was recorded calling for an end to foreign aid going to "bongo bongo land" and faced accusations the phrase has racist connotations.

After refusing to give any "disingenuous" apology in several interviews, Bloom later bowed to the demands of his party leadership with a qualified expression of regret.
Another interesting bit:
Speaking to Channel 4 News, the MEP said he did not know what he had meant by the phrase but acknowledged "maybe" he had been referring to African countries.
And then claims it's entirely innocent by saying it's the land of the white antelope.

He uses an expression without knowing its meaning and then claims it was okay because it has an innocent meaning even though he didn't know it at the time.

I call that bollocks.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Apology report

Another interesting bit:

And then claims it's entirely innocent by saying it's the land of the white antelope.

He uses an expression without knowing its meaning and then claims it was okay because it has an innocent meaning even though he didn't know it at the time.

I call that bollocks.
for what it's worth i do not know what it means either

and it may not mean anything

the problem is with people with too much time on their hands desperately trying to put some deep meaning into a piece of nonsense

it is amazing what makes the news nowadays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.