Wikiposts

Body World Exhibit

Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Body World Exhibit

As it is raining in Calgary, we have decided to take the little ones to this today.

I have no particular opinion about the use of dead people for such exhibits and, if the marketing is to be believed, there are lots of people that have pledged their bodies to this once they have left this earth.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether such exhibits have an educational value, or are they the modern versioon of Victorian freakshows?

Do you imagine ever wanting to leave your body to such an exhibition?

I will leave my answer to the first question until after I have been. My answer to the second question is yes, but I would want to read the contract first
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:09 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Body Worlds Exhibit

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As it is raining in Calgary, we have decided to take the little ones to this today.

I have no particular opinion about the use of dead people for such exhibits and, if the marketing is to be believed, there are lots of people that have pledged their bodies to this once they have left this earth.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether such exhibits have an educational value, or are they the modern version of Victorian freakshows?

Do you imagine ever wanting to leave your body to such an exhibition?

I will leave my answer to the first question until after I have been. My answer to the second question is yes, but I would want to read the contract first
The contract is on line at http://www.koerperspende.de/en/downloads.html

We went to see this on Friday. I thought it was very good overall although I was a little disappointed that some things were not in this particular exhibit. They have different exhibits in different cities.

We saw very few little ones there and to be truthful I'm not sure they would get a lot out of it.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Body Worlds Exhibit

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The contract is on line at http://www.koerperspende.de/en/downloads.html

We went to see this on Friday. I thought it was very good overall although I was a little disappointed that some things were not in this particular exhibit. They have different exhibits in different cities.

We saw very few little ones there and to be truthful I'm not sure they would get a lot out of it.
All noted. I will have a look through those documents later, thank you.

Our little ones are not so little so we are hoping they will get more out of today than they would if they were on their computers, watching TV all day.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:55 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Body World Exhibit

Is this the Gunther Von Hagens plastinated bodies show?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:35 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I've ummmed and ahhhed about going.
My 19 year old son went and said it was wonderful and he'd go again.

A colleague paid for all her staff (physio) to go as a learning experience. She said that it was obvious that the bodies were not used necessarily to doing the activities they were portrayed doing, as the muscle development was all wrong (she would notice that though ... I guess most people wouldn't!)

Someone else I work with said it was very good, but found some of the dissections rather shocking.

Maybe I just see enough of inside people's bodies in my day to day ......

I likely won't go.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:50 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel quite strongly about this, so I'm going to stick my colours to the mast -here goes!
I have admiration for Gunter Von Hagens for his development of this system of preservation of biological material - it has really added something to the study and teaching of both animal and human anatomy.
But if this show is anything like the original version it is most certainly not remotely educational. Quite some time ago now I saw the 'story' of the development of this process and many examples from the Bodyworks exhibition as part of a TV documentary and I was horrified when I saw them. Although Von Hagens claims that the cadavers cannot be identified, there were several bodies left with very clear tattoos which would quite possibly make them identifiable as individuals. The grotesque positions in which he places these bodies are disturbing - they are real people, after all.
One particularly upsetting tableau was of a heavily pregnant woman with her abdomen and uterus dissected to show the foetus within. The poor woman's corpse was posed reclining on a couch in what could only be described as a sexually provocative way. There is no way in the world that this could be considered educational. I see this is still in the collection and other people found it as distasteful as I did. For me, no civilised society would tolerate the display of human corpses manipulated for entertainment and money making (and there is no doubt in my mind that this exhibition is exactly that, whatever Von Hagens says). Putting in a set of tar-filled lungs to dress it up as science is a pathetically transparent ruse to make those who go to see it feel less like voyeurs.
It is my opinion that respect for the bodies of the dead is a sign of a healthy society with a respect for the living.
As curious as I am myself from a scientific point of view about the process, I would never go to see the show.
No disrespect mean to the OP - I realise some people do go out of curiosity, but I am absolutely sure many people go from a 'car crash rubber-necking' mentality.
Just to clarify the background to my response, I am a biological scientist by degree and experience, I am not of any religious persuasion and I am now an educator.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:06 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

It's meat.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:19 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
I feel quite strongly about this, so I'm going to stick my colours to the mast -here goes!
I have admiration for Gunter Von Hagens for his development of this system of preservation of biological material - it has really added something to the study and teaching of both animal and human anatomy.
But if this show is anything like the original version it is most certainly not remotely educational. Quite some time ago now I saw the 'story' of the development of this process and many examples from the Bodyworks exhibition as part of a TV documentary and I was horrified when I saw them. Although Von Hagens claims that the cadavers cannot be identified, there were several bodies left with very clear tattoos which would quite possibly make them identifiable as individuals. The grotesque positions in which he places these bodies are disturbing - they are real people, after all.
One particularly upsetting tableau was of a heavily pregnant woman with her abdomen and uterus dissected to show the foetus within. The poor woman's corpse was posed reclining on a couch in what could only be described as a sexually provocative way. There is no way in the world that this could be considered educational. I see this is still in the collection and other people found it as distasteful as I did. For me, no civilised society would tolerate the display of human corpses manipulated for entertainment and money making (and there is no doubt in my mind that this exhibition is exactly that, whatever Von Hagens says). Putting in a set of tar-filled lungs to dress it up as science is a pathetically transparent ruse to make those who go to see it feel less like voyeurs.
It is my opinion that respect for the bodies of the dead is a sign of a healthy society with a respect for the living.
As curious as I am myself from a scientific point of view about the process, I would never go to see the show.
No disrespect mean to the OP - I realise some people do go out of curiosity, but I am absolutely sure many people go from a 'car crash rubber-necking' mentality.
Just to clarify the background to my response, I am a biological scientist by degree and experience, I am not of any religious persuasion and I am now an educator.
You are entitled to your opinion but I didn't see anything remotely as you describe, sexually provocative, identifiable individuals via tattoos or otherwise. Certainly nothing is left to the imagination but it was all done in what I would call a reasonable manner, after all they are human bodies.

As a reasonable adult I found it interesting and educational although it would have be nicer if a little more in the way of written explanation had been provided. Listening to most of those around us while there I'd have to disagree with your assertion that most attendees are "from a 'car crash rubber-necking' mentality."

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 5th 2010 at 11:34 am.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:42 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Listening to most of those around us while there I'd have to disagree with your assertion that most attendees are "from a 'car crash rubber-necking' mentality."
Even if they are does it matter? Nothing wrong with a bit of morbid fascination - it's why I'd go if it came to Vancouver that's for sure.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:50 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's both isn't it. People have different motives for visiting museums and exhibits of all kinds.

I learned anatomy from cadavers and preserved bits of human beings that were displayed in jars and glass boxes so the viewing dead people aspect is no longer shocking to me. It was the first few times we went to class and then I used to make sure I sat away from the faces and heads. The plastination method may be new but preserving parts of humans for display is not. What is new is whole bodies on display, and for public viewing. I think it's a good thing.

Last edited by fledermaus; Sep 5th 2010 at 12:22 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:35 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I saw it when it was on back in London and thought it was pretty interesting, but to me it didn't feel like the bodes were "real", not that I was really bothered either way.

My physio went to see it with a load of her colleagues and they all thought it was super-amazing because they had never been able to see the real thing as it were and she said it helped her understand more how some muscles interrelate with others and all that good stuff!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:59 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Even if they are does it matter? Nothing wrong with a bit of morbid fascination - it's why I'd go if it came to Vancouver that's for sure.
For a moment there I read that as,
"Nothing wrong with a bit of morbid fascination - it's why I'd go to Vancouver that's for sure."

That aside, Yes, I do think it matters. I attach no religious significance to the body after death, but I still think caring about the treatment of human remains matters spiritually and morally. Otherwise, why not just let the dog have Grandma when she passes on? Why bother have cemeteries at all? Just throw your dead in the trash!
These people had a life that ended, sometimes tragically - it isn't science to pose them playing tennis and it isn't entertainment, either unless there is something very wrong with your idea of entertainment.
Morbid fascination is OK? Well then, roll up and get your tickets to 'Saturday night in the Emergency Room' or the matinee at the Hospice.
Does anyone really think it is OK to at gawp at a dead pregnant woman and her unborn child as a way to while away an afternoon?
That disturbs me!
As for taking children to see it.......
Flossie and Jim said,
I saw it when it was on back in London and thought it was pretty interesting, but to me it didn't feel like the bodes were "real", not that I was really bothered either way.My physio went to see it with a load of her colleagues and they all thought it was super-amazing because they had never been able to see the real thing as it were and she said it helped her understand more how some muscles interrelate with others and all that good stuff!"
Firstly, medical staff don't have to go to things like this to see what they need - that's what the purpose of the plastination process was to begin with, to prepare anatomical specimens for teaching purposes. It is also worrying that many people find the it hard to think of the bodies as real - THEY ARE and that is why it is wrong. A movie shows fake violence and so that's OK in our society, but someone filming real violence for kicks is a different matter.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:23 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not getting into any arguments - I was just saying what my physio said given she is from the medical field and saw it as a useful learning experience, so take a chill pill!

If it's not your cup of tea, then don't go.

Surely it doesn't matter as the bodies are volunteers and they have expressed a wish to be plastinated and to be a part of the "show".
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

For a moment there I read that as,
"Nothing wrong with a bit of morbid fascination - it's why I'd go to Vancouver that's for sure."

That aside, Yes, I do think it matters. I attach no religious significance to the body after death, but I still think caring about the treatment of human remains matters spiritually and morally. Otherwise, why not just let the dog have Grandma when she passes on? Why bother have cemeteries at all? Just throw your dead in the trash!
These people had a life that ended, sometimes tragically - it isn't science to pose them playing tennis and it isn't entertainment, either unless there is something very wrong with your idea of entertainment.
Morbid fascination is OK? Well then, roll up and get your tickets to 'Saturday night in the Emergency Room' or the matinee at the Hospice.
Does anyone really think it is OK to at gawp at a dead pregnant woman and her unborn child as a way to while away an afternoon?
That disturbs me!
As for taking children to see it.......
Flossie and Jim said,
I saw it when it was on back in London and thought it was pretty interesting, but to me it didn't feel like the bodes were "real", not that I was really bothered either way.My physio went to see it with a load of her colleagues and they all thought it was super-amazing because they had never been able to see the real thing as it were and she said it helped her understand more how some muscles interrelate with others and all that good stuff!"
Firstly, medical staff don't have to go to things like this to see what they need - that's what the purpose of the plastination process was to begin with, to prepare anatomical specimens for teaching purposes. It is also worrying that many people find the it hard to think of the bodies as real - THEY ARE and that is why it is wrong. A movie shows fake violence and so that's OK in our society, but someone filming real violence for kicks is a different matter.
Don't be bloody daft, why is it wrong when people consent to displaying their bodies this way? No one is forced to attend the exhibitions.

You may not like it but that doesn't make it wrong for others, only wrong for you.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

. Otherwise, why not just let the dog have Grandma when she passes on?
I don't have a problem with being fed to dogs after I die. I'll be dead so I won't notice.

I doubt this guy has a shortage of people volunteering their bodies for his exhibits so I don't see any moral problem with preserving peoples dignity in that sense. So, to answer you question, I'd be quite happy to while away the afternoon gawping at a dead pregnant woman, though I'd hope that wasn't all there was to see.

I can understand how some might find such an exhibit uncomfortable to look at so whilst I disagree I don't think your point of view is unreasonable or anything, that is providing you don't object to me looking at it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.