Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A blight on the landscape...

Wikiposts

A blight on the landscape...

Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A blight on the landscape...

Originally Posted by dbd33
So it is. And it's a blight on the landscape to the same extent as each windfarm. The difference being that very few nuclear power stations are required and very many wind farms thus, from an aesthetic standpoint, the windfarms are markedly less desirable.
Aesthetics are very subjective and a bit of a red herring, as I'm sure you're very aware. I suppose suburban sprawl in Canada is aesthetically pleasing? Thought not. Let's fix that first and worry about windfarms after that.

whether or not it cancels out the ecological damage done by the windfarms I don't know.
You can't be serious. Well, I already knew that, of course. You appear to have already discovered another important use of wind: pissing into it.

All the best,

Novo
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Aesthetics are very subjective and a bit of a red herring, as I'm sure you're very aware. I suppose suburban sprawl in Canada is aesthetically pleasing? Thought not. Let's fix that first and worry about windfarms after that.

You can't be serious. Well, I already knew that, of course. You appear to have already discovered another important use of wind: pissing into it.

All the best,

Novo
lol!

Of course suburban sprawl isn't pleasing. As a rule of thumb, land with nothing built on it is pleasing, land with houses less so, land with industrial developments such as oil refineries and wind farms even less so.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:32 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure of the trade off from an agricultural standpoint. The wind farms in Ontario are built on potato land. Obviously the ground can't be used for potatoes any more, it can be used for livestock, something of a downgrade, but I don't know the economics of that.
Why on earth not?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

As a rule of thumb, land with nothing built on it is pleasing, land with houses less so, land with industrial developments such as oil refineries and wind farms even less so.
Based on the above I would have to put wind farms extremely low perhaps even at the bottom of the industrial less pleasing scale.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Based on the above I would have to put wind farms extremely low perhaps even at the bottom of the industrial less pleasing scale.
Actually, although I willingly admit to be not in a NIMBY relationship with them, so do I. I think they're rather attractive. Which is beside the point though.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:47 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they're rather attractive. Which is beside the point though.
A few years ago when I first saw these turbines I felt that way, it was the shear numbers of them this time that blew me away.

The ones in the pictures in my first post are a very very tiny sampling of them.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:49 am
Born again atheist

Of course suburban sprawl isn't pleasing. As a rule of thumb, land with nothing built on it is pleasing, land with houses less so, land with industrial developments such as oil refineries and wind farms even less so.
And this from the man who, until 2 short years ago, bragged of never having been north of Bloor in twenty years.

My, my. How things change.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:52 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_P
A few years ago when I first saw these turbines I felt that way, it was the shear numbers of them this time that blew me away.

The ones in the pictures in my first post are a very very tiny sampling of them.
About eight years ago, I revisited the desert between Riverside and Palm Springs, an area I knew very well in the 1970's and 80's. There are now hundreds and hundreds perhaps thousands of turbines in the valley (where strong winds are common). I honestly felt it looked very beautiful. And despite the large scale of it, it's still just a speck in the desert as a whole.

I'm sure dbd33 and I can find common ground when I point out that a lot of power is needed for irrigating the golf courses in Palm Springs.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 15th 2008 at 4:54 am.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Why on earth not?
Because there are great strips of concrete across it. I suppose it'd be possible to plant around the access roads and aprons but potato farming is highly mechanised and the machines are not set up for making pretty patterns; they're geared to going in a straight line for the length of the field.

(Perhaps not at a tangent, I notice that the people who farm under the windmills near to us belong to some sort of religious sect. I'd guess they're fringe Mennonites. They don't use machines which may relate to their being there.)
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

About eight years ago, I revisited the desert between Riverside and Palm Springs, an area I knew very well in the 1970's and 80's. There are now hundreds and hundreds perhaps thousands of turbines in the valley (where strong winds are common). I honestly felt it looked very beautiful.
I drove through there a couple of years ago. I thought it awe inspiring in the way that the Alberta oilsands or the Arizona golf courses are awe inspiring, it's impressive that man can create these things but I'd rather he didn't.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

About eight years ago, I revisited the desert between Riverside and Palm Springs, an area I knew very well in the 1970's and 80's. There are now hundreds and hundreds perhaps thousands of turbines in the valley (where strong winds are common). I honestly felt it looked very beautiful. And despite the large scale of it, it's still just a speck in the desert as a whole.

I'm sure dbd33 and I can find common ground when I point out that a lot of power is needed for irrigating the golf courses in Palm Springs.
Damn, you edited while I was posting my dig at golf courses!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:02 am
Born again atheist

Damn, you edited while I was posting my dig at golf courses!
Yes. This prescience stuff comes in handy now and again.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

And this from the man who, until 2 short years ago, bragged of never having been north of Bloor in twenty years.
I didn't, of course, claim Toronto to be physically attractive.

I'm not quite in a NIMBY position as regards windmills, btw, they're a way to the west of us. I commuted through them while I was working in Guelph and that's when I came to dislike them. I think advocates for wind power who live in Toronto should take an excursion along CR 17 between highway 10 and 89 and then follow then following the cabling south. It's not pretty. It may however be possible to implement windmills in a more enviromentally sensitive way. I assume the mess of poles and wires is just the cheapest method.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:10 am
Born again atheist

BTW, I've just noticed your new self-descriptor. How the hell did that get there? There must be an interesting background? Link, please.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 5:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

BTW, I've just noticed your new self-descriptor. How the hell did that get there? There must be an interesting background? Link, please.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560110

post 56.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.