Default Re: A bit speechless!

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So more of a polish than a cut then?
Nah, just a number 4, all over.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:02 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I'd be gutted if my tonsorial engineer pushed off back home. He knows just what I want and does me in about five minutes. Not that he's likely to go home. He's from Iraq.
Dare I even enter a thread about hair cuts.

I do have some that requires cutting and I would be very disappointed if my barber were to return to Lebanon but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

No comments about buffing the top required.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLocket10
Does he know what he's coming back to?! After reading all the reasons why, I'd still be inclined to stay put rather than come back the hole that the UK is at the moment!
LucyLocket, yes he knows what he's going back to - family and familiarity and Christmassy feeling Christmases. I'm assuming you have not yet left the UK so you wouldn't yet know the effect of weeks of -25 plus a windchill, you also wouldn't know how uncharacteristic some places are. You wouldn't get the pangs for church bells on a sunday and roasting chestnuts in the braziers on a winters day. For some missing those things get to be too much.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:49 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Chinese business adverts always make me smile.

Saw a billboard outside a hairdressers in Vancouver once which said:

HAIR 10
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:37 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
LucyLocket, yes he knows what he's going back to - family and familiarity and Christmassy feeling Christmases. I'm assuming you have not yet left the UK so you wouldn't yet know the effect of weeks of -25 plus a windchill, you also wouldn't know how uncharacteristic some places are. You wouldn't get the pangs for church bells on a sunday and roasting chestnuts in the braziers on a winters day. For some missing those things get to be too much.
yep......every winter I miss home.....

I hope that each spring will wipe those thoughts away
with the last winter still on my mind and heavy snow agian this winter... it better be a good summer or my days here are numbered
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but are Canadian winters that bad?

Please don't think I am being dim here. My cousin lives near Brantford and has only great things to say about the winter: her kids love it. That said, my aunty (age 71) who lives with her, absolutely detests the winters and has taken me aside to inform me that Canada is not for the elderly: the winters are too brutal. So I guess I am asking does the severity and length of winter really affect your quality of life?

Apparently we are in for a cold w/e in the U.K. Hey! We might even get some snow. No doubt we'll all be caught off-guard....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:39 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caimas
It depends, if you’re the one shovelling the drive way snow gets pretty tedious it losses its appeal after you’ve shovelled in the morning to get out, again in the evening to get in and again the next morning
I ski and I’m teaching my boys to ski too, but at -25 and a wind chill it gets too cold to stay out for long and skiing loses it pleasure
Driving in bad winter conditions with the standard of driving here become more of a game about how long can I last before some idiot on all seasons slides into me at a junction, not much fun for a daily commute or the trip to the ski hill
And winters here can be long November till April, the time compounds all of the above

It looks amazing from inside, but if you’re into the outdoors it’s not all it’s cracked up to be
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:52 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

This is our 4th winter and not one has been like one we have already experienced. This year has been the worse temperature wise. It's been too cold to want to be outside. When it's -20 or below it's just not nice being out and about then when you add a ridiculous windchill you can understand why bears hibernate!

It started warming up a bit last week, so I borrowed 5 sets of skis from the school to have a go at cross country skiing for the 1st time with some friends. (Daughter was to show us the ropes and have a good laugh at the stupid grown ups). The temps plummeted and we ended up staying home instead. Planning the next weekend now.

When it's been snowing lots and you hear of crash after crash on the highway, it doesn't encourage you to go out and about either so you end up with a bit of cabin fever by the time the thaw starts.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Caimas

Please don't think I am being dim here. My cousin lives near Brantford and has only great things to say about the winter: her kids love it. That said, my aunty (age 71) who lives with her, absolutely detests the winters and has taken me aside to inform me that Canada is not for the elderly: the winters are too brutal. So I guess I am asking does the severity and length of winter really affect your quality of life?

Apparently we are in for a cold w/e in the U.K. Hey! We might even get some snow. No doubt we'll all be caught off-guard....
Here are the climate stats for Brantford.

http://climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.c...s=&StnId=4737&

They only get 113 cm of snow on average.

My S-I-L and B-I-L and family etc live in Brantford. Many times we have gone from Ottawa to Brantford in winter and left Ottawa with high snowbanks and cold temps and got to Brantford to see brown lawns and crusty snowbanks.

Are you intending to move there....if so, be warned it is quite a lunch bucket town with loads and loads on non-hyphenated Canadians (that may be a good thing for you..not sure). Curry is in short supply as is real ale.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't get the pangs for church bells on a sunday and roasting chestnuts in the braziers on a winters day. For some missing those things get to be too much.

Would you SHUT UP!!! You'll have us all going back soon!!!

Although I do have to admit that the weather in Regina has been wonderful this winter. Lovely warm sunny days -- no snow -- flowers in bloom!!! Mind you - you can't actually SEE the flowers in this photo!
Attached Thumbnails A bit speechless!-dscn5740.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:01 am
One life, Live it!

Siliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really nice

I'm assuming you have not yet left the UK so you wouldn't yet know the effect of weeks of -25 plus a windchill, you also wouldn't know how uncharacteristic some places are. You wouldn't get the pangs for church bells on a sunday and roasting chestnuts in the braziers on a winters day. For some missing those things get to be too much.
Err, you ever been to England? I imagine -25 is cold but at least you can leave home feeling safe for half the year....Havent heard church bells on a sunday morning for a long time (think some pikeys might have nicked them)...chestnuts in a brazier? Not sure theres many people left that would know what a brazier is let alone where to find good chestnuts! Youre living in a dreamland if thats what England is to you!

And before you say it no, Im sure Canada isnt a dreamland and if he doesnt like it then good luck to him. I have to ask though, are you gonna be following him back? Cos it doesnt sound like your enjoying it there!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:10 am
I'm a Viking!

LucyLocket10 will become famous soon enoughLucyLocket10 will become famous soon enough

Yes, you do assume and assume wrong. I have not yet left the UK for Canada, but have left plenty of times to visit other places which experience -25 and lower, Norway and Sweden, perhaps...that ok with you? And yes, they were also uncharacteristic and gave me pangs for being with family back home, but that was the whole point, to experience the culture and ways of another country, including weather and all!

And I don't want to get into a big argument about this, but I thought the whole point of forums was to voice your own thoughts and views about subjects. Which I've done, and given my opinion about how I feel the UK is at the moment. For me, Canada offers a much brighter future (and I know it's not going to be all rosy, nowhere is ever going to be), but it sure as hell is going to be better than what I live in now.

There. Opinion voiced! Bring on the chill!!!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Siliconwombat
Err, you ever been to England? I imagine -25 is cold but at least you can leave home feeling safe for half the year....Havent heard church bells on a sunday morning for a long time (think some pikeys might have nicked them)...chestnuts in a brazier? Not sure theres many people left that would know what a brazier is let alone where to find good chestnuts! Youre living in a dreamland if thats what England is to you!

And before you say it no, Im sure Canada isnt a dreamland and if he doesnt like it then good luck to him. I have to ask though, are you gonna be following him back? Cos it doesnt sound like your enjoying it there!
Wow did I hit a nerve??????? I have only been here 3.5 years. The town I moved from still has church bells every Sunday. The market still sells hot chestnuts. I am in no way living in a dreamland. No I'm not going to be following him back. I love living here and have no plans to return. I have however been away from England long enough to appreciate the good bits.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:28 am
One life, Live it!

Siliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really niceSiliconwombat is just really nice

Wow did I hit a nerve??????? I have only been here 3.5 years. The town I moved from still has church bells every Sunday. The market still sells hot chestnuts. I am in no way living in a dreamland. No I'm not going to be following him back. I love living here and have no plans to return. I have however been away from England long enough to appreciate the good bits.
3.5 years is a long time. The town you moved from must be a real haven, give it time though and it will soon join the rest of this country in its forever downward spiral... I too have lived away from England long enough to miss the good bits, unfortunately when you get back you realise that your memories of the good bits are all that are left.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:33 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the same hairdresser for 22 years and was apprehensive about finding another good one that I like but I found one straight away!
If anyone wants a recommendation for a lovely hairdresser in North Van pm me (lots of others whereI work go there too so my recommendation is not in isolation).
Hope you find another good one soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.