British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Bill 62 debate is back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/bill-62-debate-back-904656/)

magnumpi Oct 16th 2017 5:27 pm

The Bill 62 debate is back

Quebec wants to ban face coverings for duration of any public service, including bus rides - Montreal - CBC News

Sh1t storm is coming, Baton down ya keyboards !!

Quebec wants to ban face coverings for duration of any public service, including bus rides

The legislation, she said, is necessary for "communication reasons, identification reasons and security reasons."

The bill has been subject to criticism from activists who contend it unfairly targets Muslim women, while political opponents including the Coalition Avenir Québec and the Parti Québécois have argued it doesn't go far enough.

dbd33 Oct 16th 2017 5:30 pm

Re: The Bill 62 debate is back

Inevitably, this is the first I’ve heard of the bill and attendant debate. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

bats Oct 16th 2017 5:46 pm

I hope they ban all the scary Halloween masks. They give me the willies

magnumpi Oct 16th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12362311)
I hope they ban all the scary Halloween masks. They give me the willies

What is scary is that the Gov in Quebec actually think this is a good idea and determined to push this ruling thru to be a law!! :ohmy:

Vulcanoid Oct 17th 2017 1:22 am

You see, this is the problem with Quebec. Having been cut off from France for a few hundred years, they lost the art of subtlety. They still do so many of the same or similar things, but the elegance is gone.

'Demonstrating the neutrality of the state' is a laughable phrase, when there's exactly one religion this is going to affect. At least on the mainland, they have the smarts to ban all religious symbols in state-funded issues, which makes it a little less obvious that one specific group are being targeted.

Almost Canadian Oct 17th 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12362616)
You see, this is the problem with Quebec. Having been cut off from France for a few hundred years, they lost the art of subtlety. They still do so many of the same or similar things, but the elegance is gone.

'Demonstrating the neutrality of the state' is a laughable phrase, when there's exactly one religion this is going to affect. At least on the mainland, they have the smarts to ban all religious symbols in state-funded issues, which makes it a little less obvious that one specific group are being targeted.

Which religion requires its followers to wear face coverings?

Vulcanoid Oct 17th 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12362929)

Who said any required that?

magnumpi Oct 17th 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12362929)

KKK;)

Almost Canadian Oct 17th 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12362932)
Who said any required that?

Well, if none do, how can this be aimed at a single religion, as your post implied?

Oakvillian Oct 17th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12363012)
Well, if none do, how can this be aimed at a single religion, as your post implied?

Because, although no religion requires its followers to cover their faces, there is one religion in particular for some of whose followers such a face-covering is an outward expression of their faith. A freedom of expression that they will be denied while riding a city bus, if this Bill is enacted. That's not terribly Canadian, IMO.

Shirtback Oct 17th 2017 6:06 pm

Ugh. I’ve been arguing (not here) about this particular QC fixation & variants for years (since before the “religious accommodation” debacle raised its head) :(.

It’s going to get ugly. Or even uglier than it already is.

:(.

Jingsamichty Oct 17th 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12363195)
Because, although no religion requires its followers to cover their faces, there is one religion in particular for some of whose followers such a face-covering is an outward expression of their faith. A freedom of expression that they will be denied while riding a city bus, if this Bill is enacted. That's not terribly Canadian, IMO.

It may be an outward expression of their faith, but it is theologically misguided. More to the point, though, is that face-covering is anathema to everything we in the West profess to believe in... equality, respect, personal freedom. It's not just about respect for the individual wearing the covering, it's about respect for the people they interact with. The notion that it is done to avoid inflaming uncontrollable lust amongst the male populace is frankly just insulting.

Shard Oct 17th 2017 6:26 pm

Vive le Quebec. Ban hideous veils please and discourage medievalism.

Oakvillian Oct 17th 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12363218)
It may be an outward expression of their faith, but it is theologically misguided. More to the point, though, is that face-covering is anathema to everything we in the West profess to believe in... equality, respect, personal freedom. It's not just about respect for the individual wearing the covering, it's about respect for the people they interact with. The notion that it is done to avoid inflaming uncontrollable lust amongst the male populace is frankly just insulting.

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12363233)
Vive le Quebec. Ban hideous veils please and discourage medievalism.

So, let me get this straight... you see no irony in two men pontificating on an online forum over what women may or may not wear while "receiving a public service" (which may include riding a bus, or sitting in a library reading a reference book, just so that we're clear how far-reaching this suggestion is)?

Dictating, from your comfortable privileged positions, that wearing a niqab is "theologically misguided," "hideous," and so on doesn't strike you as just a teensy bit hypocritical?

I appreciate that hijab can be interpreted in many different ways, and that niqab (or, in some cases, burka) is one interpretation of the strictures of modest dress. I may not agree that it is necessary, but that doesn't mean I want to see it banned.

Mind=boggled.

Shard Oct 17th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12363218)

Totally agree.

Women do not need veiling in the 21st century.

Pleased Austria has recently upheld European and feminist ideals.

Oak, totally disagree. As you know. ;)