British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Bikers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/bikers-789537/)

Alan2005 Mar 5th 2013 3:51 am

Bikers

Well it was sunny on Sunday, and the first harleyfags of spring were out with their bikes revving their engines as loudly as they can.

Can somebody explain why do they do this? Because I just don't get it.

caretaker Mar 5th 2013 3:57 am

Re: Bikers

To impress each other. The wannabe's will do it most often, but outlaw bikers are more likely to give it voice after a good all-night party. Then they'll compete to see who can make the most noise or do the longest wheelie when leaving your street at 5:30 in the morning.

Jingsamichty Mar 5th 2013 4:00 am

One of my colleagues from Texas is insanely proud of the fact that when he rides his Harley down the street, it sets off all the car alarms.

Twat.

caretaker Mar 5th 2013 4:07 am

The law dogs started cracking down on loud pipes here a few years ago but the legal decibel level is loud enough to be a bother. I'm sure some of them are just under the limit.
+ There are a few who've been hit by cars with 'bike blind' drivers that think anything they can do to be noticed in traffic is good.

iaink Mar 5th 2013 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 10585145)
Well it was sunny on Sunday, and the first harleyfags of spring were out with their bikes revving their engines as loudly as they can.

I figured it was something to do with the vibration through the saddle...:confused::unsure:

mandymoochops Mar 5th 2013 5:23 am

I don't get it either Alan.

Have you seen the size of the accessories catalogue that comes with these bikes????? Apparently you spend $20k on a new Harley, and then probably half that again sticking shiny studded leather things to it :confused:

Alan2005 Mar 5th 2013 5:26 am

People do it with pick up trucks here too. It boggles my mind.

mandymoochops Mar 5th 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 10585379)
People do it with pick up trucks here too. It boggles my mind.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BkqCmVXXbk4

aaaaah thats slightly different - at least you can use your truck all year :)

Oink Mar 5th 2013 5:38 am

To be honest, I think there's a similar case to be made for rugby. Someone once said, if it wasn't for the ball it just be sodomy.

Shard Mar 5th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 10585368)
I don't get it either Alan.

Have you seen the size of the accessories catalogue that comes with these bikes????? Apparently you spend $20k on a new Harley, and then probably half that again sticking shiny studded leather things to it :confused:

It's all part of the Harley marketing experience, primarily aimed at young retirees. They have regular social events at their stores too. Seems fairly innocuous to me. The gang bikers are a different story.

Hawk13 Mar 5th 2013 6:34 am

It's kinda like wolves howling to let the rest of the pack know where they are.

Or it could be to blow out the mice that live in the tailpipe in the winter.

Oink Mar 5th 2013 6:41 am

I think Jings summed it up quite accurately. They're twats.

MikeUK Mar 5th 2013 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10585572)
I think Jings summed it up quite accurately. They're twats.

They're fat old men, trying to be rebels 40 years too late...

Also known as small penis syndrome..

jandro Mar 5th 2013 7:04 am

The obnoxious popping noise of their engines is the auditory equivalent of wild animals pissing on trees to mark territory.

Danny B Mar 5th 2013 7:27 am

You will love this video