British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Bike mad people? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/bike-mad-people-894907/)

Piff Poff Apr 3rd 2017 10:05 pm

Bike mad people?

Anyone know much about two strokes? Am I mad for considering a RD350 YPVS at my age and at the age of the bike?

Danny B Apr 3rd 2017 10:25 pm

Re: Bike mad people?

I love those bikes!! I had one in the early 90's and took it all the way to a bloke called Stan Stephens and had some 'mods' installed. I think it was called a power reed or something?

Personally I would never ride a bike here where I live now, the car drivers are not bike aware like they are back in the UK.

R I C H Apr 3rd 2017 10:30 pm

I've previously owned an RD350YPVS, and also an RD400.

There's a nice one for sale locally: 1978 Yamaha RD 400 Fully Restored | sport bikes | Kamloops | Kijiji

They're fun bikes, but need revving to get the best out of them. Ride like your hair's on fire and they make sense. Pootle about and enjoy the scenery, less so.

Riding here is fine Danny, you just need to ride defensively. Come over and borrow a bike sometime :)

Aviator Apr 3rd 2017 10:50 pm

Don't think my back, shoulders or butt would take that riding position anymore!

Have you ridden before? If not, or a longtime ago, strongly suggest doing a course.

Snowy560 Apr 3rd 2017 11:04 pm

I will ask MrSnowy later. He is knowledgeable and will have an opinion about these things.

Danny B Apr 3rd 2017 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12220683)

Riding here is fine Danny, you just need to ride defensively. Come over and borrow a bike sometime :)

I commuted from North Van to downtown Van for 12 months. I am surprised I am still alive.

I do not have the self restraint to sit in traffic with the rest of the commuters when I can just zip down the middle to the front of the queue. I don't know how many times people would purposely move over to prevent me from squeezing by. Yes I know filtering is illegal, but really, what is the point of commuting to work by bike if you have to sit in traffic with everyone else.

By the time you take into consideration putting biker clothes on/off at either end, it is actually quicker for me to drive to work by car in Kamloops.

If I were to ride for pleasure, on a weekend for example, and ride the Coquihalla...well it's not worth thinking about how many points I would rack up.

I had a bike from 17 years old until I moved here in 2007.

Last time I went biking with you one of us ended up eating dirt, remember that?

Thanks for the offer though, I still have my Arai helmet and leathers in the basement just in case I ever change my mind.

R I C H Apr 3rd 2017 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12220713)
Last time I went biking with you one of us ended up eating dirt, remember that?

Thanks for the offer though, I still have my Arai helmet and leathers in the basement just in case I ever change my mind.

That's half the point of riding off road ;)

It doesn't save me any time getting to work, but it's a much nicer way to commute. No need to worry about filtering through traffic in Kamloops.

ZX10R or Ducati Monster - take your pick and have a day out together sometime.

magnumpi Apr 3rd 2017 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12220658)
Anyone know much about two strokes? Am I mad for considering a RD350 YPVS at my age and at the age of the bike?

Now here is a thread I can get exited about :@)
Pm me regarding any 2 stroke questions if u like

I used to race a 250 LC in my youth, owned a few LC's on the road and many other 2 strokes, first bike was a FS1E, I built it from a pile of bits at 15 years old. Later in life 20's to 30's I owned a bike breakers "Redline Bikes" and raced MZ250's, no not a standard MZ, we lowered the barrel and fitted an RM 250 piston :ohmy:

Spent most of my life running and fixing 2 strokes, even my paramotor was a vitarazi 2 stroke and now so is my seadoo :cool:

The power valve is a great bike, I seen a few nocking around Toronto, not an easy bike to get hold of I guess but hey what a smell !!! nothing on a PV that can't be fixed in a home garage.

Saw an RD 400 here last year, had to stop and took a few pics, chatted for ages with the owner ;)

Just to add to what Rich says, a PV or any 250-400 2 stroker is best riden hard, otherwise they tend to oil up and mess up plugs. Look to change plugs every 2-3,000 miles anyhow, less if not driven hard. I always said Yamaha should do away with a throttle and just go with an On Off switch

Piff Poff Apr 4th 2017 4:36 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I used to a RD350 YPVS way back when. It was stolen then ringed, the bar stewards were caught and jailed. I've missed that bike ever since and have been nostalgic for many a year, but the buggers are as rare as hens teeth and spendy to boot.

I will post a pic tomorrow of the one I pick up at Easter, to say I'm excited is an understatement!

Piff Poff Apr 4th 2017 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12220697)
Don't think my back, shoulders or butt would take that riding position anymore!

Have you ridden before? If not, or a longtime ago, strongly suggest doing a course.

Ridden on and off the last few years currently got a Ninja 250, newer bikes just seem to tall and too wide. I've had a fizzy, TZR 125, RD350, RF600, Ducati 900ss, GSXR 750, which I realized was not for me pretty quick, as I realized with the Harley OH bought for me last year, which he is now riding. I'm certainly not a biker these daysites but a sunny Sunday rider on occasion;)

Shakyuk Apr 4th 2017 10:19 am

I can't help on the original thread but thought I'd just add that I'm also a biker, I ride a 2008 VFR800 VTEC and I am in love with riding and my bike. I took it for an MOT yesterday having no ridden since last year... It confirmed that my bike is my one true love :lol:

magnumpi Apr 4th 2017 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12220871)
Thanks for the replies guys, I used to a RD350 YPVS way back when. It was stolen then ringed, the bar stewards were caught and jailed. I've missed that bike ever since and have been nostalgic for many a year, but the buggers are as rare as hens teeth and spendy to boot.

I will post a pic tomorrow of the one I pick up at Easter, to say I'm excited is an understatement!

Go get it girl !!

They are RZ here I think, is the one you getting the full faired version or the pro-am styled nose fairing and belly pan version ?

Pizzawheel Apr 4th 2017 1:03 pm

I liked the definitive answer to the "2 sorts of biker" thing that everyone has- it's everyone who's owned an LC, and everyone else. That simple.

I had the first YPVS. Pushes 60mph in first. Only had it for 6 months when I was 19 but epic bike. The sound of that bike coming on pipe - pure music.

Piff Poff Apr 4th 2017 1:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is :wub::wub::wub::wub:

magnumpi Apr 4th 2017 1:23 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12221232)
Here she is :wub::wub::wub::wub:

So jelious ;)

I saw this one this week. Low KM