Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Biggest Money Lessons from Living in Canada

Biggest Money Lessons from Living in Canada

Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biggest Money Lessons from Living in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Toronto we used to routinely buy meat in the pub from people who had just nicked it from the supermarket. Their method was simply to grab as much as they could carry from the freezer and leg it down the street. Alarmed lamb legs might have discouraged them.
The poor lambs were probably alarmed long before then I've put myself off it now, and I love lamb. I wonder if tofu shaped into a lamb leg would taste the same?
Old Nov 13th 2019, 9:09 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Re: price of lamb in the UK, you've reminded me of one of my first 'what?!' experiences over there. I'd never been in an Iceland before, so was having a look around and came to the (frozen) legs of lamb. I can't remember the price, I know it was quite expensive but that wasn't what surprised me. There was a security tag on it, the kind that beep if you leave the shop without paying. A leg of lamb with a security tag, couldn't get over it!
They can run quite fast when they're young.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 9:13 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sainsburys website says leg of lamb £9/kg. 2.2lbs, or £4.50 ($7.65) for just over 1lb. You do really well to see it for $7 or $8/lb here and that's boneless. Not as good.

Back when money was tight I used to pick one up and put it straight back down when I saw $40+ on the label.
There are lots of things here that say $8/lb, save $10/lb and they are never $18/lb but Lamb isn't one of them. I don't remember when it was but there was a week in one store and then the following week in a different one where they were between $23 and $33. We had 7 in our freezer after that.
So it seems like the Canadian deep discount price of lamb is similar to the UK regular price.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I like lamb but even on sale its pretty pricey. Costco sometimes has a whole frozen lamb.

But then you have to cut it into more manageable size.
I think those frozen lamb are $110 at the Costco near my house and I think they've had them about 5 years. I have never seen anybody buy one.

https://www.today.com/food/costco-ju...la-jar-t146281 I recall when these have been available at my Costco quite a few people bought the 3 kg size.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And be flexible about when you do it. If you're all set to do it on a particular day and a flyer pops into your mailbox advertising half price Lamb or Premium Beef - or anything with a significant price reduction - starting the next day, consider delaying your shopping trip by 24 hours. Or maybe someone in your household has a branch of that store near where they work or have appointments the following week and they could pop in to get it.

That leg of lamb that's normally $48 or more looks very attractive @ $23.
Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If you've 'always wanted to have a dog' yet you allow yourself to be put off by a tiny thing like picking up poo, I don't think you've wanted a dog that much. It's not as if you actually have to use your bare hands

It's like saying you'd love kids but have decided against it because of nappy-changing.

Get a dog. They're great.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

In Toronto we used to routinely buy meat in the pub from people who had just nicked it from the supermarket. Their method was simply to grab as much as they could carry from the freezer and leg it down the street. Alarmed lamb legs might have discouraged them.
Last year, I was walking into Waitrose [sorry, but it is the closest food store to me] and almost got knocked over by an old man in an electric wheelchair, taking the corner on two wheels. A nanosecond later, a security guard sprinted through the door, grabbed the old guy, and pulled a bunch of steaks out of his coat. I was impressed with the initiative.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
They can run quite fast when they're young.
I did work experience with a vet and we went to check on a lamb he’d had to amputate the leg of. Never caught it, so he decided it was probably ok.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:15 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by I am I said
Last year, I was walking into Waitrose [sorry, but it is the closest food store to me] and almost got knocked over by an old man in an electric wheelchair, taking the corner on two wheels. A nanosecond later, a security guard sprinted through the door, grabbed the old guy, and pulled a bunch of steaks out of his coat. I was impressed with the initiative.
You're impressed with shoplifting ?
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You're impressed with shoplifting ?
I was impressed with the brazenness of a senior citizen in a wheelchair attempting shoplifting.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was impressed with the brazenness of a senior citizen in a wheelchair attempting shoplifting.
I was amused by that idea. It's Waitrose though so there was an electric assist. It'd be funnier at Iceland, Granny with a lap full of meat and the grandkids pushing for all they're worth.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 4:08 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's relatively compact and valuable even at half the sticker price. We didn't buy random stuff though. People would approach us, we'd discuss Sunday dinner, place an order and they'd fetch it.
I caught a glass breaker and hit him with my brick sized phone.
It's a very slippery slope isn't it?
People stealing to order from supermarkets for sunday lunch... OK
People stealing to buy drugs... Might be OK if we get sunday lunch
People breaking into cars to buy drugs... Not OK?

Old Nov 13th 2019, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
It's a very slippery slope isn't it?
I wouldn't say so, no. Buying a joint teefed from Loblaws is neither more nor less morally sound than clonking a burglar.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

People need to eat, food costs money, people without money sometimes are willing to steal in order to eat. Food banks in Canada tend to provide very little, when I lived in Ontario the local food bank only permitted 1 visit per month and provided a small shopping bag, about 2 days of food on average, the city in BC where I used food bank, it was 2 visits per month, average of 1-2 days worth of food.

It's better in Vancouver, the food bank allows weekly visits 2-3 day food supply each visit. But still can be hard for people to get through a week with sufficient food if they lack money to buy it.

I have never had to shoplift food, but I certainly understand why some might get desperate enough to do so. Food insecurity is an issue in Canada.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 13th 2019 at 5:49 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:45 pm
Yo

I'd be impressed if he gets to spend a few nights at Her Majesty's Pleasure for his efforts.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:53 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
People need to eat, food costs money, people without money sometimes are willing to steal in order to eat. Food banks in Canada tend to provide very little, when I lived in Ontario the local food bank only permitted 1 visit per month and provided a small shopping bag, about 2 days of food on average, the city in BC where I used food bank, it was 2 visits per month, average of 1-2 days worth of food.

It's better in Vancouver, the food bank allows weekly visits 2-3 day food supply each visit. But still can be hard for people to get through a week with sufficient food if they lack money to buy it.

I have never had to shoplift food, but I certainly understand why some might get desperate enough to do so.
Well, occasionally, absolutely desperate circumstances might arise, but I think generally food banks or other welfare services need to be relied upon.

On a loosely related point, read this article the other day. It's a longish interesting read about a homeless guy that died (UK) about a year ago. I remember the brief articles in the news at the time, but this is his back story.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...hamid-alamdari

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.