Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Biggest Money Lessons from Living in Canada

Biggest Money Lessons from Living in Canada

Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biggest Money Lessons from Living in Canada

Originally Posted by dave_j
+1
I found that it was all too easy to throw money away for little or no benefit when I was young, but it was then that a little saving would yielded most fruit. Fortunately we grew up and came to our senses before we became too old to benefit.
It's not rocket science, if you have a few bucks then think hard before you lose it forever, once gone it won't be coming back.
It's a truism that money makes money although it used to make a little more than it does now.
People will queue up to separate you from the hard earned. Only once did I succumb to the siren voice of a financial advisor, never again. They all do very nicely so it pays to ask who pays their salaries, that's right it's you.
I remember sitting in my lounge being serenaded by two advisors. They told me my money could do this and it could do that. I wasn't greedy and told them if they could guarantee a return just half of what they were tempting me with then they had a deal. They left without one.
We're our own advisors and we haven't done too badly, just being careful. I keep our cars on average 10-15 years, I mend things if I can and always look for bargains, so much so that it's a poor day when I pay full price for anything. It becomes a way of life. I keep old screws and reuse nails as my father did. My main hobbies of making model ships, playing chess and genealogy uses time and costs little.
As the old maxim goes, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.
Do you enjoy the occasional avocado on toast?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Having moved from my original apartment, would be paying a fraction of the rent we are...lol
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:36 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you enjoy the occasional avocado on toast?
No, don't like avocado, but do like home made pork pies and pickled onions.
Just to add to the thread, always cook for yourself. You'll find that most home cooked meals cost less than the tip at a restaurant.

Last edited by dave_j; Nov 11th 2019 at 11:38 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

No, don't like avocado, but do like home made pork pies and pickled onions.
Just to add to the thread, always cook for yourself. You'll find that most home cooked meals cost less than the tip at a restaurant.
Spam?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:51 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Spam?
No, for example, take a couple of medium/large onions and a pepper, fry until sweet, add a pound of mince or leftover chicken at 30% off at least (last one was a pound of mince costing $5.50 with $4 off) and half a big tin of crushed tomatoes. Stir in some madras and butter chicken paste with some some MDH massala for meat, some frozen peas and corn and black pepper and simmer for an hour or two. Cook enough red cargo rice to fill a small saucepan when cooked and you have enough to last three+ days and it improves with time. Add some finger chilis to taste. Total cost.. not very much. Very tasty.

Old Nov 11th 2019, 11:57 pm
Yo

No, for example, take a couple of medium/large onions and a pepper, fry until sweet, add a pound of mince or leftover chicken at 30% off at least (last one was a pound of mince costing $5.50 with $4 off) and half a big tin of crushed tomatoes. Stir in some madras and butter chicken paste with some some MDH massala for meat, some frozen peas and corn and black pepper and simmer for an hour or two. Cook enough red cargo rice to fill a small saucepan when cooked and you have enough to last three+ days and it improves with time. Add some finger chilis to taste. Total cost.. not very much. Very tasty.
Quite the concoction, but sounds good. . Better than pork pies and pickled onions !
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Don't do all of your food shopping in one place seems to be much more beneficial financially than in the UK.

A bit obscure but I learned not to order Chinese takeaway like you would in the UK. It will get very expensive. Combos are the way to go. Me and the boss lady order one each. It's more than enough for 2 people so there is another meal for the next day

​​
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:22 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have pets with 4 legs. They're expensive to look after and generate surprisingly large vet bills.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Don't have pets with 4 legs. They're expensive to look after and generate surprisingly large vet bills.
Here we have three horses, two dogs and two cats. And fish. The fish are not cheaper. Best stay away from all animals, and eating out, and new cars (and very old cars) and nicer houses and having a vibrant life involving many people.

For this, people give up family, culture and access to Europe?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 11:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Don't do all of your food shopping in one place seems to be much more beneficial financially than in the UK.
And be flexible about when you do it. If you're all set to do it on a particular day and a flyer pops into your mailbox advertising half price Lamb or Premium Beef - or anything with a significant price reduction - starting the next day, consider delaying your shopping trip by 24 hours. Or maybe someone in your household has a branch of that store near where they work or have appointments the following week and they could pop in to get it.

That leg of lamb that's normally $48 or more looks very attractive @ $23.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:18 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And be flexible about when you do it. If you're all set to do it on a particular day and a flyer pops into your mailbox advertising half price Lamb or Premium Beef - or anything with a significant price reduction - starting the next day, consider delaying your shopping trip by 24 hours. Or maybe someone in your household has a branch of that store near where they work or have appointments the following week and they could pop in to get it.

That leg of lamb that's normally $48 or more looks very attractive @ $23.
$48 !!! I don't normally but lamb, any idea how much the equivalent would be in the UK? Seems very expensive. Or is the $48 an artificial price so that they can knock it down on a regular basis.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:22 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by JamesM
I've always wanted to have a dog, but I think the biggest disincentive (apart from kenneling fees) is the necessity these days to pick up after them. I just cannot get my head around that. Once they invent a robot or chemical that precludes having to pick up, I will get a hound. If I'm still on the planet.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wanted to have a dog, but I think the biggest disincentive (apart from kenneling fees) is the necessity these days to pick up after them. I just cannot get my head around that. Once they invent a robot or chemical that precludes having to pick up, I will get a hound. If I'm still on the planet.
You can get robot turd pickers. They use similar technology to robot vacuums and robot lawn mowers. They're not so good in deep snow though.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:04 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If you've 'always wanted to have a dog' yet you allow yourself to be put off by a tiny thing like picking up poo, I don't think you've wanted a dog that much. It's not as if you actually have to use your bare hands

It's like saying you'd love kids but have decided against it because of nappy-changing.

Get a dog. They're great.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.