Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Big power bank on plane

Big power bank on plane

Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big power bank on plane

So... For all the other tech minded like me, I have a fairly beefy laptop and going to be travelling 14+ hours to the ME soon, and I thought i'd buy myself one of those power banks (similar to ones used for phones) that can charge a laptop over USB type-C / USB-PD at 85w+. But then I found out they are way over the amount of power you are allowed to bring on a plane according to fancy new regulations. So does anyone know if it is possible to buy a power bank that can both charge a powerful laptop that needs at least 85-100w to charge, and also be "plane legal?"

I'd be willing to bet a small amount that you could sneak one of the "unapproved" ones on a plane but I wouldn't like to be the guinea pig on that on the off chance that it actually exploded as the authorities seem to claim.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big power bank on plane

No need to claim lithium batteries are a threat to aircraft, there have been fires already, which is why for example lithium batteries are not permitted in the cargo hold in some countries.

Is the airline your flying not offering power plugs to use?
Old Oct 28th 2019, 3:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Take 2 that are under 20,000 aMh in your hand luggage perhaps? As I understand it, over 20.000 aren't permitted on most airlines and none of the power banks are permitted in hold baggage, but are allowed in carry-on bags.

Check the airline you are flying on for specifics... for instannce:
Lithium Ion Batteries - with a rating of 100 but not exceeding 160 Wh

One battery can remain installed on the device (e.g. video camera).
A maximum of two (2) individually protected spare lithium ion batteries with a rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried per passenger in carry-on baggage only*, pending approval by Air Canada airport agents.
https://www.amazon.ca/Aibocn-External-Portable-Compatible-More%EF%BC%8CBlack/dp/B0734X83QQ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=power+bank+portable+charger+16000mah+laptop&qid=1572232303&sr=8-9https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ted-items.html
https://travel.gc.ca/air/portable-electronic-devices
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't live for 14 hours without access ?
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
So... For all the other tech minded like me, I have a fairly beefy laptop and going to be travelling 14+ hours to the ME soon, and I thought i'd buy myself one of those power banks (similar to ones used for phones) that can charge a laptop over USB type-C / USB-PD at 85w+. But then I found out they are way over the amount of power you are allowed to bring on a plane according to fancy new regulations. So does anyone know if it is possible to buy a power bank that can both charge a powerful laptop that needs at least 85-100w to charge, and also be "plane legal?"

I'd be willing to bet a small amount that you could sneak one of the "unapproved" ones on a plane but I wouldn't like to be the guinea pig on that on the off chance that it actually exploded as the authorities seem to claim.
I regularly fly Middle East to Toronto with either Emirates or Etihad. Both have USB plugs in the back of the seats for charging your phone/laptop.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 9:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I regularly fly Middle East to Toronto with either Emirates or Etihad. Both have USB plugs in the back of the seats for charging your phone/laptop.
All the flights I have taken, in and out of Canada and the US, have them. Internal flights in North America...not so much.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 3:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Given that on the off chance it did actually explode (which as JSmith321 has pointed out has actually happened) then a) you'd be sitting on/near/under an exploding powerpack and b) a fire on a plane is not a good thing, then perhaps common sense ought to kick in and you find some other method of either powering your laptop or entertaining yourself for 14 hours. There are these great things that the kids are into these days called "books" which have infinite battery life.....

Who are you flying with? It maybe that they have inseat power (either outlet or USB). USB may not be enough to charge a laptop but should keep your phone/tablet going.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I want to bring my laptop to do assignments/IT stuff on.

Will be flying AC on a 777 then Oman Air, then on the way back Lufthansa and AC

Not sure about Oman Air but I fly AC/Lufthansa 1-2x a year and they only have AC outlets in premium economy. The usb at the seat is barely enough to slow charge an iPhone, definitely wont be able to charge a laptop.

Will perhaps have to look at bringing a less powerful laptop that can be charged by a smaller power bank.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to bring my laptop to do assignments/IT stuff on.

Will be flying AC on a 777 then Oman Air, then on the way back Lufthansa and AC

Not sure about Oman Air but I fly AC/Lufthansa 1-2x a year and they only have AC outlets in premium economy. The usb at the seat is barely enough to slow charge an iPhone, definitely wont be able to charge a laptop.

Will perhaps have to look at bringing a less powerful laptop that can be charged by a smaller power bank.
All AC 777s that I've been on have had power in economy, just between the seats. Similarly I've been on LH flights with power in economy though can't recall the plane type.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bc2015
All AC 777s that I've been on have had power in economy, just between the seats. Similarly I've been on LH flights with power in economy though can't recall the plane type.
Yeah i checked the site and they are supposed to have them. (AC 777) Fingers crossed. Lufthansa on the 747 I think is where I only had them in Premium Economy.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 3:19 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gozit, you can only use a power bank in between flights to charge your electonics and it must be stored in hand luggage, not in the hold. The power bank must have the what hours (Wh) specified on the device and it must be under under 100wh to bring on to the plane (security will check). You aren't permitted to use a power bank on the flight though and you will be "told off" if caught (like my other half!)
Old Oct 29th 2019, 3:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you ever buy smart luggage, make sure to remove the battery before checking it, I had to on a more and more regular basis keep bags off because the battery was still installed.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Gozit, you can only use a power bank in between flights to charge your electonics and it must be stored in hand luggage, not in the hold. The power bank must have the what hours (Wh) specified on the device and it must be under under 100wh to bring on to the plane (security will check). You aren't permitted to use a power bank on the flight though and you will be "told off" if caught (like my other half!)
Thanks. I've usually just kept the powerbank in my bag with the cable poking out to charge my phone and that hasnt been an issue. Out of sight, out of mind

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Also if you ever buy smart luggage, make sure to remove the battery before checking it, I had to on a more and more regular basis keep bags off because the battery was still installed.
Good to know, I was going to ask for a new set of luggage for Christmas, I will stay away from smart ones as that seems like too much complication. I don't need my luggage to be smart, I need it to look half decent and hold my stuff. LOL
Old Oct 30th 2019, 12:33 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I've usually just kept the powerbank in my bag with the cable poking out to charge my phone and that hasnt been an issue. Out of sight, out of mind
This was my partners tactic as well, he still got told off. In his defense though, he actually didn't realize he wasn't supposed to using it. Now he sticks to the rules and only uses it whilst in the airport. I would personally not use it if those are the rules, I guess they are there for a reason. On the off chance it blows up I wouldn't want to be sat near it!
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good idea. The ban is for a reason, one of safety to passengers and the aircraft.

IMO severe penalties should be levied if the ban is ignored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.