Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bi-lingulism - whats the point?

Wikiposts

Bi-lingulism - whats the point?

Old May 27th 2009, 12:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bi-lingulism - whats the point?

Originally Posted by macadian
Getting someone who can speak passable English has been problematic for me in the past when dealing with Revenue Canada...have even on occasion politely asked to speak with someone else who has a better command of the Language....
But that's routine when dealing with organizations in Canada. I don't think the feds are exceptional in this regard. I've asked for someone with a better command of the language when dealing with Bell, Hydro One, Rogers, Customs, the airport scanner people, Harvey's and various departments of Toronto's government. The usual problem is conveying to the non-English speaker that his or her English isn't good enough to deal with the issue at hand without being unduly offensive.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:47 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
Getting someone who can speak passable English has been problematic for me in the past when dealing with Revenue Canada...have even on occasion politely asked to speak with someone else who has a better command of the Language....
Maybe you're just unlucky. I don't think I've ever had that problem, except with helplines (don't speak either official language).
Old May 27th 2009, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
But that's routine when dealing with organizations in Canada. I don't think the feds are exceptional in this regard. I've asked for someone with a better command of the language when dealing with Bell, Hydro One, Rogers, Customs, the airport scanner people, Harvey's and various departments of Toronto's government. The usual problem is conveying to the non-English speaker that his or her English isn't good enough to deal with the issue at hand without being unduly offensive.
That's very brave of you.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
As for Quebec not being bilingual or translating anything, you're just plain wrong. I've never been to a restaurant in Quebec that didn't provide menus in both languages. Most big stores have signage in French and English. In some parts of Quebec where English predominates, French isn't used at all. There are western suburbs of Montreal where the road signs are only in English. Places near me, like Chelsea and Wakefield, display little French. You will find the same, in reverse, in much of eastern Ontario.
Why is there not a universal application of both languages though, throughout all provinces? Road signs (Mouflons sur la route!), all packaging, etc, is in both languages here - not sure about the menu in Boston Pizza for example though. My kids go to a dual school - two classes each of English and French Immersion in each academic year. There are only a few real-life francophone families in this town, but the French Immersion is hugely popular out in my little chunk of Alberta. I understand the popularity to be more "opportunity" than snobbishness. However, many drop out after Grade 4. On a day-to-day basis French is not useful here. And in the playground, the kids all revert to English because they "are" English. However, they do get to leave school at some point with another tool in their employment belt!

I have no aversion to bi-lingualism - I think any extra languages are a great skill to have - I did French and German at school, and French to A level - should have kept at it, but didn't. I would have considered French Immersion for my two kids if they were a little younger, or if I was a little more brave (on their behalf). I figured changing countries was enough to be going on with. In hindsight, Daughter Number One could probably have coped quite well. Daughter Number Two might have become mute.

I get there might be cost implications for dual printing of stuff. I get that the government likes to employ bi-lingual staff. But when it's not applied evenly across the country (for various reasons), why insist on it at all?

Your average Alberta or BC inhabitant is as in touch with Quebec about as much as the average person from Ireland is with Poland.

Not out to stir - just curious I guess.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:51 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
On a day-to-day basis French is not useful here.

Your average Alberta or BC inhabitant is as in touch with Quebec about as much as the average person from Ireland is with Poland.

exactly. which is part of why western separation comes up. but that's another thread.

i do think culturally central canada and the west coast don't have much in common. I think we have more in common with Seattle or California, in terms of fashion, climate, types of ethnic diversity, etc. etc. Whenever i see ottawa on tv it always strikes me how it seems like a different country and how the concerns of ontarians don't seem that relevant to BC *shrug*.

but anyway. i mostly watch bc news and pretend bc is a sovereign nation
Old May 27th 2009, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ann m
Why is there not a universal application of both languages though, throughout all provinces? Road signs (Mouflons sur la route!), all packaging, etc, is in both languages here - not sure about the menu in Boston Pizza for example though. My kids go to a dual school - two classes each of English and French Immersion in each academic year. There are only a few real-life francophone families in this town, but the French Immersion is hugely popular out in my little chunk of Alberta. I understand the popularity to be more "opportunity" than snobbishness. However, many drop out after Grade 4. On a day-to-day basis French is not useful here. And in the playground, the kids all revert to English because they "are" English. However, they do get to leave school at some point with another tool in their employment belt!

I have no aversion to bi-lingualism - I think any extra languages are a great skill to have - I did French and German at school, and French to A level - should have kept at it, but didn't. I would have considered French Immersion for my two kids if they were a little younger, or if I was a little more brave (on their behalf). I figured changing countries was enough to be going on with. In hindsight, Daughter Number One could probably have coped quite well. Daughter Number Two might have become mute.

I get there might be cost implications for dual printing of stuff. I get that the government likes to employ bi-lingual staff. But when it's not applied evenly across the country (for various reasons), why insist on it at all?

It's not applied everywhere. There is certain degree of common sense involved, even in federal/provincial government. Highway signs in eastern Ontario are in both languages. As I mentioned, parts of Quebec have signage only in English. Federal government offices across Canada should, in theory, offer service in either language. Many don't because there is simply no need to.
Old May 27th 2009, 5:54 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Your assertion that French is a waste of time is not an unusual view but it is also not a correct one.
I was up in Scot-land once, and was amazed to my very pith that even in the British Isles people still did not speak English. I distinctly remember asking a mutton-chopped denizen the time, to which he sourly replied, "Haaar kinnay haf dinnie noot han twain huurs t'mea wootch!"
Old May 27th 2009, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
I was up in Scot-land once, and was amazed to my very pith that even in the British Isles people still did not speak English. I distinctly remember asking a mutton-chopped denizen the time, to which he sourly replied, "Haaar kinnay haf dinnie noot han twain huurs t'mea wootch!"
An interesting point. Why it's attached to a quote of one of my posts, I do not know.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:09 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Bi-lingulism - whats the point?-irony-bird1.jpg
Old May 27th 2009, 6:25 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have enough problems getting past Rogers call screener. It always directs me to the wrong department no matter which one I say.

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
i do think culturally central canada and the west coast don't have much in common. I think we have more in common with Seattle or California, in terms of fashion, climate, types of ethnic diversity, etc. etc. Whenever i see ottawa on tv it always strikes me how it seems like a different country and how the concerns of ontarians don't seem that relevant to BC *shrug*.
Is that a Gallic shrug?

Dbd posted an excellent viewpoint on commonalities between parts of canada and the US here. Thanks Dbd.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:53 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

It was put rather bluntly at work

Bi-lingualism has two advantages in Canada

It'll get you a job in Quebec, or it'll get you a government job

In certain parts of this country having a government job is one of the few ways of getting a decent reliable income...

the other cynical comment was why they try to limit teaching to French in Quebec, its to try to stop or at least limit the talent drain into Ontario and other provinces ( if you can only speak French then your employment opportunities really are limited to the province you grew up in) in our company speaking only English isn’t really the end of the world maybe mildly restrictive, but only speaking French will trap you inside one region with little or no chance of getting above manager and our national head office is in Montreal
Old May 27th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned, parts of Quebec have signage only in English.
Where in Quebec does this occur. Even in parts of Westmount, there may be odd holdover 'stop' sign w/o the 'arret' but other than that all signage is in french only for most things. Ditto for the Pontiac.
Old May 27th 2009, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Where in Quebec does this occur. Even in parts of Westmount, there may be odd holdover 'stop' sign w/o the 'arret' but other than that all signage is in french only for most things. Ditto for the Pontiac.
It's in the far west (Beaconsfield? I forget). If you can peek into some of the side streets from the highway, you'll see Arret, Arret-Stop and just Stop.