Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best review I've seen in a long time.

Best review I've seen in a long time.

Old May 6th 2011, 3:33 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best review I've seen in a long time.

Originally Posted by el_richo
I know people who do. Does that help?
I also changed a nappy a few years ago......
Old May 6th 2011, 3:39 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I disagree, sexism operates independently of objectification, one (and by one I mean men) can discriminate without considering the physical nature of the person (and by person I mean woman) against whom the discrimination is practised. Canadian employers, for example, pay less to women without regard for whether they are deemed "douche bags" or "cutie pies" (the only two expressions I've heard potential employers use to categorise females). Dividing the female population into such categories is objectification, paying them less regardless of configuration is sexism.
Well, tough titties, because I disagree with you.

'Objectification' <shudder> is saying, "Nice arse, love, now go and make us a cup of tea."

Sexism is not inviting her to the lapdancing club on the works night out.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:51 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with sexism providing you cover it up with a thin veil of irony.

You see how it works:

Me: Put the kettle on luv
Missus: That's sexist.
Me: No it's ironic
Missus: <makes cup of tea>
Old May 6th 2011, 4:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nothing wrong with sexism providing you cover it up with a thin veil of irony.

You see how it works:

Me: Put the kettle on luv
Missus: That's sexist.
Me: No it's ironic
Missus: <makes cup of tea>
Or sexism via clothing

Old May 6th 2011, 4:15 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

See if for what it is. A crappy bit of "journalism" targeted to mostly male readers. Nothing wrong with that.
Except that it perpetuates the idea that its OK for "blokes" to carry on in this way of course.

You are right about it being crappy journalism though, but wrong that it would be OK if it were "hottest firemen". Hopefully my kids will realise by then that objectification of anyone based on appearances is a pretty shallow thing to do. To be honest I find the the whole "Lad Mad" mentality profoundly depressing.
Old May 6th 2011, 4:40 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Except that it perpetuates the idea that its OK for "blokes" to carry on in this way of course.

You are right about it being crappy journalism though, but wrong that it would be OK if it were "hottest firemen". Hopefully my kids will realise by then that objectification of anyone based on appearances is a pretty shallow thing to do. To be honest I find the the whole "Lad Mad" mentality profoundly depressing.
Oh, do shut up, you big girl's blouse! Go and make us a cup of tea, there's a love.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:04 am
Beep

What i'm saying is that you may despair about it, but i can guarantee that your kids will objectify a male or female based on their appearance at some point in their life (musician, actor/actress, boy/girl at school, an airbrushed picture in a womans/mens magazine.....). It's a natural human reaction for the majority.

It's also not just limited to blokes. Implying that is just sexist

But yes, articles like this are crap in the same way as those suggesting the best places in the world to live.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:19 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
This made me laugh. Nail, head.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:28 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us can't help reacting to physical beauty. It's human nature. I'm not sure it's always objectification to do so.

IMO this article was completely light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek - I enjoyed it.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 6th 2011 at 5:34 am.
Old May 6th 2011, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
You don't have children, do you?
What does this have to do with anything????
Old May 6th 2011, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You have been in Canada too long.

Guys will always state such things about girls, girls will always state such things about guys. I am confident that, perish the thought, you girls may one day say such things about members of the opposite sex, or other girls if the fancy takes them. I say this as a father of 2 girls myself.
I agree (I also have a daughter)
Old May 6th 2011, 5:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Moncton not there then?

Old May 6th 2011, 5:38 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not to labour the point but I realise that people will look at other people and say "He/ She is fit", thats human nature. It the painting of broad steotypes and the mentality that goes that step farther and applies that to whole cities/ areas that I find sad and shallow.

Then again, lots of people used to find Bernard Manning funny too, its was just a bit of fun right?
Old May 6th 2011, 5:46 am
Beep

It the painting of broad steotypes and the mentality that goes that step farther and applies that to whole cities/ areas that I find sad and shallow.
So no different from most posts when generalising about Canada, Canadians, or the UK on here then. That article should be thought of in the same way, fun to read but really just a bit crap and pointless.

Then again, lots of people used to find Bernard Manning funny too, its was just a bit of fun right?
Old May 6th 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Moncton not there then?

sorry mate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.