Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best City in the World

Best City in the World

Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by iaink
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This happened just as I was about to post something so sarcastic that it would have been truly awesome to behold. It all seems kind of pointless now though, and I feel kind of grubby.

Never mind, I shall now find another thread to use as vehicle for waving my enormous e-penis in other peoples faces ... oh yeah...
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This happened just as I was about to post something so sarcastic that it would have been truly awesome to behold. It all seems kind of pointless now though, and I feel kind of grubby.

Never mind, I shall now find another thread to use as vehicle for waving my enormous e-penis in other peoples faces ... oh yeah...
Promises, promises.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Got it, at last:

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...duse/index.htm

quite parky. 10% parky. Not at as parky as London, NYC, or Washington but then it is surrounded by wilderness. And beaches.
Whist not wishing to get embroiled in all this the fair comparison is the City of Vancouver (which you have linked to) to the City of London (which has little in the way of green space IIRC), and Greater Vancouver with Greater London.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Whist not wishing to get embroiled in all this the fair comparison is the City of Vancouver (which you have linked to) to the City of London (which has little in the way of green space IIRC), and Greater Vancouver with Greater London.
Hardly so. The 22% is for the London boroughs, that's not "Greater London", Greater London stretches into the surrounding counties. Besides which, Greater London, were we to count it, is all city. Greater Vancouver is one of those amorphous wilderness entities the Canadians like to pass off as civilization. If we accept Greater Vancouver (or Greater Toronto) as being a place, then the great city of Wood Buffalo is set fair to claim the title of having the most open space (open, not green, since it's tundra).

Do you have a figure for just the City of London?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter? Really?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Does it matter? Really?
Not in the least, no. But then, what does really matter?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you've got your health.... thats what I always say.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you've got your health.... thats what I always say.
Well, perhaps you should be more selective about when you say it. It would be a very offensive thing to say to someone with advanced cancer.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not in the least, no. But then, what does really matter?
Pension COL rises !?!?!? lol
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Pension COL rises !?!?!? lol
Only to those relying on it.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite an interesting thread going here, thought I'd add my 2 cents

Having lived in Bristol, Bournemouth and now Vancouver and visited London many times, I would defiantly agree with Vancouver being voted most livable place in the world.
Personally I don't think its all down to green spaces, but don't get me wrong they are great. For me it's the huge amount of recreational activities available to us. We take full advantage of having 3 ski hills in the local area in the winter and even in the summer they are great places to visit or cycle down through the awesome bike trails. The beaches in the summer are great and also the many lakes we have access to for swimming, boating, fishing or for a nice BBQ on the beaches. Stanley park is a lovely place to visit and the sea wall a great running facility. Transit is very reliable and cheap compared to the prices I was paying in the UK - train & bus to work used to cost me 9 quid a day! We find we can afford to eat out a lot more over here and the variety of different cuisine in Vancouver is taken full advantage of by us The people we have met so far are so friendly and go out of there way to help you, as opposed to some places in the UK where you try to avoid eye contact with people at all costs and when a stranger starts up conversation with you automatically think they want something from you or they have an ulterior motive.

I'm not slagging off any other city I'm just saying in my experience in comparison to the other places i have lived Vancouver provides so much more for me and my partner to do and see, we have been in Vancouver for 15 months and have so far not struggled to find something new and exciting to do on our weekends off. Which to me makes Vancouver the most livable place in the world for me and may OH
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey.cook1
Quite an interesting thread going here, thought I'd add my 2 cents
<snip>
Interesting is a bit of a stretch. I'd say the thread has alternated between being dire and hilarious.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is a lovely city which gets even lovelier in the long warm summers but my only big gripe are the beach areas. While there's a lot of them, they don't have very good amenities. I'm not talking about donkeys on the sand but it would it hurt them to put in a nice pier or a small funfair of note? We used to go to Clacton when were kids and we used have loads of fun.

See what I mean? Unless you want to watch people's floppy bits or smoke dope with the rest of the wackos on Wreck Beach here's bugger all seasidey stuff to do for kids!

Vancouver Seaside

Last edited by Oink; Feb 24th 2011 at 7:12 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
Vancouver is a lovely city which gets even lovelier in the long warm summers but my only big gripe are the beach areas. While there's a lot of them, they don't have very good amenities. I'm not talking about donkeys on the sand but it would it hurt them to put in a nice pier or a small funfair of note? We used to go to Clacton when were kids and we used have loads of fun.

See what I mean? Unless you want to watch people's floppy bits or smoke dope with the rest of the wackos on Wreck Beach here's bugger all seasidey stuff to do for kids!

Vancouver Seaside
What are the beach huts like? Are they bigger than sheds?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by stacey.cook1
Having lived in Bristol, Bournemouth and now Vancouver and visited London many times, I would defiantly agree with Vancouver being voted most livable place in the world.
Whilst I think "defiantly agreeing" is quite appropriate in this thread I think you might need a bigger sample size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.