Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best City in the World

Best City in the World

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
i'was a little sad to not see the city of moncton on the list. i so enjoyed magnetic hill, seeing teh tidal boar and visitin teh moncton hospital (to observe the lunatics). swell city! awesome city!!!

You forgot the honourable mention we got in the movie Taking Lives; a scene of which was at the train station - even though somewhere else doubled for it.

In all seriousness, though, Moncton has done well in other 'desirability' studies and still does. Presumably this one was about bigger cities.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

You forgot the honourable mention we got in the movie Taking Lives; a scene of which was at the train station - even though somewhere else doubled for it.

In all seriousness, though, Moncton has done well in other 'desirability' studies and still does. Presumably this one was about bigger cities.
Can't think why.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:04 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Which highlights the other problem with the Economist's table- it does not include every city in the world just a select few of the larger ones from regions.

On the criteria chosen I am impressed that Canada has done so well particularly against Australian cities.

If people want decent beaches I suggest Australia's sunshine and gold coasts they are fantastic with brilliant waves all year round to body board in.

Brighton, Southend and Vancouver all quite depressing on the beach front.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turquoise
My South African husband was shocked when he first started living here, also. He did some work in Tower Hamlets and Hackney and couldn't believe such crap holes existed so close to London.
Hackney and Tower Hamlets are in London. Like most major metropolitan areas you have pockets of great wealth and great poverty.

Simply pushing people into "townships" is unacceptable.........tell him to watch District 9 for a refresher.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>
No need for personal attacks.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2011 at 3:43 pm. Reason: Yep, totally agree and quoted post removed.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>
I sing the praises of your country, I make a positive post illustrating one of the best features of it*, and this is how you respond? That's not very patriotic.

* The very best feature, of course, is that nothing ever happens. Canada is a stable democracy in which the greatest drama during my time in the country has been the arrival of quality bread in supermarkets.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2011 at 3:45 pm. Reason: Quoted post removed
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Turquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud of

Tangram- I'm not sure how to edit the comment I made... I would like to take out the words "like you" at the end, as I realize now that even though I think it, I shouldn't be saying it.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Turquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud of

You're doing well? Would never have guessed it from reading all the negative, moany stuff you write.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I took hubby for his first trip to Canada (from Edmonton through Jasper, Banff, B.C.) and wow, so beautiful.
The beauty of Jasper, Banff etc. is replicated in the Glencoe area of Scotland and is probably more accessible to most of the inhabitants of the UK than the Jasper-Banff areas are to most Canadians.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You're doing well? Would never have guessed it from reading all the negative, moany stuff you write.
"Well" by local standards. It's cold and Toronto looks nicer in the dark but we can get British beer and French cheese and British chocolate and the newspapers are available online so we're not too cut off really.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I know how you feel dbd. Here, it's overcast, wet and windy, Romford also looks better in the dark but I can get my favorite treats and Canadian newspapers online, too. And now that there's so many Polish here, I can finally get pyrogies and kolbasa. You made me feel better, realizing I'm not so cut off, either. Awesome, thanks for that.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Alan2005- yeah, he also pushed a mod's button once too, and got himself banned for a while, didn't he?!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Almost Canadian: I live by Romford, Essex- the Glencoe area of Scotland is not really accessible to us. When I lived in Edmonton and Calgary, Banff and area was very accessible.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yeah, I know how you feel dbd. Here, it's overcast, wet and windy, Romford also looks better in the dark but I can get my favorite treats and Canadian newspapers online, too. And now that there's so many Polish here, I can finally get pyrogies and kolbasa. You made me feel better, realizing I'm not so cut off, either. Awesome, thanks for that.
Glad to be of help. I understand that there's quite the little community of Canadians in and around Romford, do you get together for evenings of poutine and Cinquante?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:24 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK

oh this is too much! im torrenting' this wannabe french canadian potboiler tonight and kickin' with x6 natty light and my biotches. any film wit angelina in a thong is worth my glazzies. will *pause* at the appropriate moncton moments repeatedly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.