British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Bell let's talk day. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/bell-lets-talk-day-890653/)

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 25th 2017 9:31 pm

Bell let's talk day.

Today is the annual Bell Let's Talk in regards to mental health, and while there are 2 sides to every story, Bell isn't sharing their side but from the one side being shared it certainly doesn't look good on their part for firing an employee an hour after she turned in a note and opened up about her mental health struggles.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/bell-l...-health-fired/

Grand Falls radio host says Bell Media station fired her for mental health issues - New Brunswick - CBC News

Stinkypup Jan 25th 2017 9:45 pm

Re: Bell let's talk day.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12161722)
Today is the annual Bell Let's Talk in regards to mental health, and while there are 2 sides to every story, Bell isn't sharing their side but from the one side being shared it certainly doesn't look good on their part for firing an employee an hour after she turned in a note and opened up about her mental health struggles.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/bell-l...-health-fired/

Grand Falls radio host says Bell Media station fired her for mental health issues - New Brunswick - CBC News

You are correct JS, there are indeed 2 sides to every story-just like physicians, the employers are in I suppose a little bit of a similar situation where they cannot ethically divulge such sensitive information as to why she was fired on a public network. It is frustrating I would think for them that they are unable to do so as there may have been alternative reasons-patients can go and complain to the press about doctors but the doctors have no recourse to reply and explain their actions due to patient confidentiality.

There will always be somebody dissatisfied with reasons why they get dismissed/laid off etc who then "goes public . On a medical note, it does seem a little strange to say the least that she wanted this time off to get used to medications". Anyhow, Bell I feel is doing positive things to raise public awareness toward Mental Health, you cant shoot them down for that.

caretaker Jan 25th 2017 9:48 pm

Yeah they stepped in it there. It doesn't make sense that they would have any other reason to terminate her employment, if they asked her to take on the morning show only a day before.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 25th 2017 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12161741)
Yeah they stepped in it there. It doesn't make sense that they would have any other reason to terminate her employment, if they asked her to take on the morning show only a day before.

I agree based on the information provided.

I was fired from a job in 2011 because I needed time off for mental health treatment, and I will never tell an employer again.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 26th 2017 12:33 am

I think part of the issue is they didn't even give her a reason as far as I can tell, which they could do.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12161739)
You are correct JS, there are indeed 2 sides to every story-just like physicians, the employers are in I suppose a little bit of a similar situation where they cannot ethically divulge such sensitive information as to why she was fired on a public network. It is frustrating I would think for them that they are unable to do so as there may have been alternative reasons-patients can go and complain to the press about doctors but the doctors have no recourse to reply and explain their actions due to patient confidentiality.

There will always be somebody dissatisfied with reasons why they get dismissed/laid off etc who then "goes public . On a medical note, it does seem a little strange to say the least that she wanted this time off to get used to medications". Anyhow, Bell I feel is doing positive things to raise public awareness toward Mental Health, you cant shoot them down for that.

Zoe Bell Jan 26th 2017 1:57 am

Haven't read the story but in answer to Stinky's comment about wanting time off work to get used to medication.
I'm sure as heck glad I wasn't at work while I was starting my antidepressants. The initial effects before they start to work can be deeply unpleasant.

I initially thought that my workplace were highly sympathetic towards my mental health issues. Looking back now I suspect that when it got bad enough for me to take medical leave, they started the process of slowly shuffling me out the door,

Still I'm.in a job I love now , so it worked out,

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 26th 2017 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12161866)
Haven't read the story but in answer to Stinky's comment about wanting time off work to get used to medication.
I'm sure as heck glad I wasn't at work while I was starting my antidepressants. The initial effects before they start to work can be deeply unpleasant.

I initially thought that my workplace were highly sympathetic towards my mental health issues. Looking back now I suspect that when it got bad enough for me to take medical leave, they started the process of slowly shuffling me out the door,

I agree with you on the medications. I did okay starting antidepressants, but coming off them was another story, and not having time off during that time led to me not having a job at all today. Looking back, I probably should have asked for time off.

Stinkypup Jan 26th 2017 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12161866)

Zoe, I would certainly sign someone off with symptoms of depression//anxiety and I do it all the time. I have to say I have never signed anyone off to get used to medications. Obviously I warn them of potential side effects, I have no doubt that these can be troublesome but if we start light dose-wise, these usually are surmountable. Typically, they are being signed off because of the depressive symptoms and therefore not working when they start the medications. Maybe she just worded it badly but it sounded just a little strange. If indeed this was the situation then she obviously has been treated very badly although I have to say we are indeed only having one side of the story so I have to I am afraid hold a little hint of skepticism.

The way you would treated was clearly objectionable and cruel and as you say, you are better off out of it and in a much better environment.:thumbup:

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12161893)
I agree with you on the medications. I did okay starting antidepressants, but coming off them was another story, and not having time off during that time led to me not having a job at all today. Looking back, I probably should have asked for time off.

I would certainly agree that JS, side effects can certainly be worse coming off medications although again if this is done slowly then these can hopefully be kept at least most times to a minimum.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 26th 2017 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12161910)
Zoe, I would certainly sign someone off with symptoms of depression//anxiety and I do it all the time. I have to say I have never signed anyone off to get used to medications. Obviously I warn them of potential side effects, I have no doubt that these can be troublesome but if we start light dose-wise, these usually are surmountable. Typically, they are being signed off because of the depressive symptoms and therefore not working when they start the medications. Maybe she just worded it badly but it sounded just a little strange. If indeed this was the situation then she obviously has been treated very badly although I have to say we are indeed only having one side of the story so I have to I am afraid hold a little hint of skepticism.

The way you would treated was clearly objectionable and cruel and as you say, you are better off out of it and in a much better environment.:thumbup:

I would certainly agree that JS, side effects can certainly be worse coming off medications although again if this is done slowly then these can hopefully be kept at least most times to a minimum.

It took about 6 months in total for me to come off Venlafaxine, but it was the last 3 weeks where the effects were really bad, seemed once I got below a certain dose, the effects worsened then slowly got better.

For me it was by far the worst of the medications to come off.

Stinkypup Jan 26th 2017 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12161929)
It took about 6 months in total for me to come off Venlafaxine, but it was the last 3 weeks where the effects were really bad, seemed once I got below a certain dose, the effects worsened then slowly got better.

For me it was by far the worst of the medications to come off.

It certainly isn't the worst, that award goes to Paxil/Paroxetine.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 26th 2017 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12161933)
It certainly isn't te worst, that award goes to Paxil/Paroxetine.

I've heard that from others, not a medication I am eager to try.

dave_j Jan 26th 2017 5:32 am

A disturbing discussion.
No doubt the physician finds himself in a hard place, but you have to ask yourself whether a depressive is in a state of mind that allows himself to understand the meaning of the phrase side-effect or the understanding of the effects of withdrawal.

Stinkypup Jan 26th 2017 6:21 am

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12161951)
A disturbing discussion.
No doubt the physician finds himself in a hard place, but you have to ask yourself whether a depressive is in a state of mind that allows himself to understand the meaning of the phrase side-effect or the understanding of the effects of withdrawal.

Erm yes... :confused:If explained adequately at the outset and then at the time of withdrawl, whilst patients are able to concentrate less, they don't become stupid because of their mental state. We often overdo giving advice re side effects and withdrawal side effects advice but I don't feel that this is a bad thing

Zoe Bell Jan 26th 2017 1:02 pm

I'm doing ok on my tablets at the moment, feel happier than I have done in a long time but I will admit to being terrified at the thought of coming off them sometimes.

I am constantly balancing in my head the side effects against the benefits. My doctor ( rightly so) is of the opinion that if I'm feeling good then we should leave well alone but i hate the thought of being dependent on medication sometimes and I know that they have changed aspects of my personality that I'd rather they hadn't.

add tot hat the universally accepted view that coming off them sucks , it doesn't make the decision easy

caretaker Jan 26th 2017 1:19 pm

Since there's no real update on this story yet it seems they meant it when they said find out next week. The easy probable slip (local management needs a tune up) doesn't seem to be the case; I think they would have dealt with it immediately, and it's hard to imagine that they've been investigating her for some crime or serious policy breach coinciding with her request for leave.