Bell Aliant wi-fi

Old Jul 12th 2022, 10:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bell Aliant wi-fi

Just in case this happens to anyone else.

We have Bell Aliant 125. We have a booster plugged in to give my stepson better wi-fi in his bedroom.In our connections list (or whatever it's called upon clicking on the icon) it shows Bell Aliant 125 and Bell Aliant 125 extended. It makes no difference which is used. Then there's about a dozen others seemingly randomly listed.

We lost power yesterday for about 40 minutes. Most of our outages are those where it's back on instantly and you don't notice it unless you have a light on at the time or, later, when you see the cooker clock flashing.

Regardless of how brief the outage is, sometimes, we need to reset the router to get the wi-fi signal back. I'm always a little flummoxed at that because the TV comes back on, happily displaying the wireless programming. More bizarrely is that when the internet is fully down (fortunately very rare) - not even ethernet available - the FibeTV still works as normal.

Anyway, that's not the issue.

Yesterday, resetting the router made no difference at all. Stepdaughter and I just plugged ethernet cords in and looked online trying various solutions.
Only the BA125 extended was listed.

After a period getting nowhere, I eventually noticed that there was a FibreOp 125 in the connections list. Obviously FibreOp is what we get so I thought I'd try selecting that. I had to enter the number to connect and it worked. We got wi-fi back. We had to rename the BA125 extended to FibreOp125 extended

Now I know that Bell Aliant shortened FibreOptic to just Fibe but I've not seen anything to say that BellAliant125 was being renamed as FibreOp 125.

And why would it happen because of a power outage or was that just coincidence? Seems unlikely.

Anyway, if you're Bell Aliant and you lose your wi-fi, you might just see that they renamed it and the new name followed by whatever number is further down your connections list than normal. Our list still has some Bells (not the Aliant part) and a Rodgers (not us) but there's also a FibreOp with a different number.

I like the one mysteriously named FBI surveillance.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 12th 2022 at 10:42 am.