Beer pricing oddity

Old Jun 27th 2019, 2:11 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beer pricing oddity

This might be a Newfoundland Liquor Corp only oddity but all of the European beer is priced so much cheaper than Canadian. For example - and doubtless prices are lower elsewhere in Canada, we pay more for everything here - Bitburger Pils ("Bitte ein Bit!) $3.75 can, a very respectable 61 Deep Pale Ale from Marstons $3.80 a can, Hobgoblin bitter, similar price, ditto Murphys Stout, Hoegarden etc, all below 4 dollars. This is 500ml can. Canadian beer in contrast from say Muskoka Brewery, Gahan in Halifax, is all well north of $4 a can. True craft/micro beer brewed locally is more expensive still, but one doesn't need a can for that, one simply goes to the local micro with a growler for a fill. $17/4 pints though, not cheap.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer pricing oddity

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
This might be a Newfoundland Liquor Corp only oddity but all of the European beer is priced so much cheaper than Canadian. For example - and doubtless prices are lower elsewhere in Canada, we pay more for everything here - Bitburger Pils ("Bitte ein Bit!) $3.75 can, a very respectable 61 Deep Pale Ale from Marstons $3.80 a can, Hobgoblin bitter, similar price, ditto Murphys Stout, Hoegarden etc, all below 4 dollars. This is 500ml can. Canadian beer in contrast from say Muskoka Brewery, Gahan in Halifax, is all well north of $4 a can. True craft/micro beer brewed locally is more expensive still, but one doesn't need a can for that, one simply goes to the local micro with a growler for a fill. $17/4 pints though, not cheap.
$3.75 for Bitburger. You are getting literally 'hosed'. $2.55 a can (not sure if it is another $0.10 for deposit or not) here at the LCBO. That beer is a bit of a joke beer amongst my footie friends as it always the one at the bottom of the team cooler that somebody bought a year ago and nobody wants to drink.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stor...6#.XRTSe-tJG70

I'm more of an IPA guy and tend to buy Ontario IPA's as I find them much fresher and good ones can be had for under $3.25 a can usually.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 3:55 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that when I got here. When I had a tight week I'd end up drinking german lager cos I couldn't afford the local stuff- beer store always has something for $2 a can. DAB was my goto for a long time.

Thanks to that law germany doesn't really do "bad" beer.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 4:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Partially discharged;12703563]$3.75 for Bitburger. You are getting literally 'hosed'. $2.55 a can (not sure if it is another $0.10 for deposit or not) here at the LCBO. That beer is a bit of a joke beer amongst my footie friends as it always the one at the bottom of the team cooler that somebody bought a year ago and nobody wants to drink.

Well, yes. Beer, like most other things is more expensive here than in Ontario. In fact I can drinkly more cheaply in a pub in central London than I can in downtown St John's.
($11/pint at the Biermarket vs about $7.50 for a pint at my favourite pub near Old St. It's one of the crosses we bear living on The Rock....

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I noticed that when I got here. When I had a tight week I'd end up drinking german lager cos I couldn't afford the local stuff- beer store always has something for $2 a can. DAB was my goto for a long time.

Thanks to that law germany doesn't really do "bad" beer.
Indeed. That's why I'm happy to drink it vs. Canadian equivalents. The Germans do lager rather well.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

This is something really don't understand.... I was in St Johns in December for a few days, and I was shocked at the prices of alcohol in general....not just beer. Alcohol is expensive in Canada anyway.... with the exception of Quebec they have it good, and its so much cheaper in the states.

However you guys get really stung! When I was there, Stella and Heineken were $4.47 per can!! and Strongbow cider was $4.95!! I thought I was in a different country! and I dont understand why? I was that took back, I mentioned it to the lady at the checkout in the liquor store, as to why its so expensive? and she looked at me as though I had two heads!...maybe she never ventured off the island so thought it was normal.

I wondered if it was because NFLD is an island and many things arrive via a ferry. but even the local brew there brewed on the island (Iceberg- in the blue bottle) is $20 for a 6 pack!! compared to $13 for say a 6 pack of Keiths in Ontario. It really doesnt make sense....obviously down to provincial tax laws.... but considering Canada is supposed to be one country, the differences in the cost of booze in Quebec and Newfoundland is eye watering!
Old Jun 27th 2019, 6:27 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

You're definitely paying higher prices than elsewhere. At the BC Liquor Store I just bought Marston's Lancaster Bomber $2.29, Hobgoblin Ruby Ale $1.99 (on offer down from $2.19), Tree Brew Kelowna Pilsner $2.09 and Steamworks Pale Ale $2.29 (which I thought was pricey). Some of the imported beers are around the same price as the local ones. Private liquor will have higher prices though.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
This is something really don't understand.... I was in St Johns in December for a few days, and I was shocked at the prices of alcohol in general....not just beer. Alcohol is expensive in Canada anyway.... with the exception of Quebec they have it good, and its so much cheaper in the states.

However you guys get really stung! When I was there, Stella and Heineken were $4.47 per can!! and Strongbow cider was $4.95!! I thought I was in a different country! and I dont understand why? I was that took back, I mentioned it to the lady at the checkout in the liquor store, as to why its so expensive? and she looked at me as though I had two heads!...maybe she never ventured off the island so thought it was normal.

I wondered if it was because NFLD is an island and many things arrive via a ferry. but even the local brew there brewed on the island (Iceberg- in the blue bottle) is $20 for a 6 pack!! compared to $13 for say a 6 pack of Keiths in Ontario. It really doesnt make sense....obviously down to provincial tax laws.... but considering Canada is supposed to be one country, the differences in the cost of booze in Quebec and Newfoundland is eye watering!
Originally Posted by jandro
You're definitely paying higher prices than elsewhere. At the BC Liquor Store I just bought Marston's Lancaster Bomber $2.29, Hobgoblin Ruby Ale $1.99 (on offer down from $2.19), Tree Brew Kelowna Pilsner $2.09 and Steamworks Pale Ale $2.29 (which I thought was pricey). Some of the imported beers are around the same price as the local ones. Private liquor will have higher prices though.
Alcohol distribution is a provincial monopoly. NLC is both regulator - so sets the prices - and retailer. I think there is some convoluted argument about pricing and managing consumption but really its about a state owned monopoly earning a tidy revenue for the government. Given the dire state of provincial finances, I suppose it's needed.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

NLC is both regulator - so sets the prices - and retailer.
..and importer; these are the wonderful people who bring you Screech. This Old Sam is something they have that I wish we could get here. The only Guyanan rum we have in Sask now is Lemon Hart, and a little variety wouldn't hurt.
https://m.nlliquor.com/Product%20Details?p=1011

Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've started drinking 0.04% (zero alcohol) beer from time to time... de alcaholised beer that tastes like the original (for most) - and considerably cheaper than the alcohol ones .. so if you just want the flavour and sensation of having a beer on a hot summers day or night and are not bothered about a buzz, you might want to try one!

I've tried Grolsh (which tastes just like Grolsh) and Heinekin 0 (both of which I can't stand, lol); Budweiser Prohibition (not bad); Blue Light zero (it's ok); Becks (pretty good); O'Douls (my favourite so far) - but there are literally dozens to choose from including some European ones and stouts (2nd link shows around 40).

As an example a 12 pack of Bud Prohibitionat at Metro / Loblaws is around $16 - or $9 for a 6 pack

https://justbeerapp.com/article/non-...on-and-anytime
and
https://justbeerapp.com/beers/styles/low-alcohol-beer
Old Jun 27th 2019, 7:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by caretaker
..and importer; these are the wonderful people who bring you Screech. This Old Sam is something they have that I wish we could get here. The only Guyanan rum we have in Sask now is Lemon Hart, and a little variety wouldn't hurt.
https://m.nlliquor.com/Product%20Details?p=1011
"'Tis the Screech my son!" I drink Old Sam occasionally. Screech, not so much.

The NLC has a bottling business. They bottle Dan Ackroyd's Crystal Head Vodka here as well.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 8:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I drink Old Sam occasionally. Screech, not so much.
I might get Screech or more likely Cockspur once in 2 or 3 years, it's just a decent amber Caribbean among all the others, but when I find Old Sam in BC I try to bring back 2 or 3 bottles if I have the money.
As far as de-alcoholised beer, it's all swill. We've sold most of them in the bar at one time or another, and I've tried most of them. Beck's is the worst of the lot imo.

Old Jun 27th 2019, 9:28 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Germany a 500ml can of Beck's costs EUR 0.79 plus a 'pfand' or deposit of EUR 0.25c per can.

I've been to local beer festivals which sell craft beers at anything from EUR 3.00 to EUR 8.00 per 500ml depending on quality & strength.

Last edited by Jingsamichty; Jun 27th 2019 at 9:31 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 11:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
.. so if you just want the flavour and sensation of having a beer on a hot summers day or night and are not bothered about a buzz, you might want to try one!
And if it turns out you don't like them, they are fine for cooking.
I'm fussy about beer in a can. It's just not right. Unless there's a widget.

So that puts me off the Grolsch one.

Old Jun 28th 2019, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol distribution is a provincial monopoly. NLC is both regulator - so sets the prices - and retailer. I think there is some convoluted argument about pricing and managing consumption but really its about a state owned monopoly earning a tidy revenue for the government. Given the dire state of provincial finances, I suppose it's needed.

Yes, but isnt that the same as in most provinces....except for Quebec...lucky so and so's! We have the government contolled LCBO and beer store in Ontario...but prices are a hell of a lot cheaper than NFLD.....maybe its becauase of what you said...the dire state of NFLD's finances...they are grabbing what they can from the booze buying tax payer.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 11:15 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Things are getting serious over here; https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/06...t-beer-online/

The background ... https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/06...t-beer-online/

Bloody Dutch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.