Beer

Old Aug 24th 2019, 3:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not really a beer drinker, him, more of a heroin man. If only he'd been exposed to Young's Ordinary or Fuller's Pride, he might have stayed off the smack and not got stuck with Nico. The curse of the north, I suppose.
Indeed, you don't maintain a figure like that from drinking a gallon of Ol' Pit Head every day.

Anyway, I'm sitting on my balcony in Germany drinking a few alcohol-free Franziskaner Weissbiers in the sweltering early evening sunshine... one eye on the football, one on BE and the other on my holidays tomorrow... off to Cordoba, Jerez, Cadiz and Seville. Ole!
Old Aug 24th 2019, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 25th 2019, 8:40 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Back home now, Sunday afternoon beer n a curry

Old Aug 25th 2019, 9:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Courage Best, 75p a pint / Directors 85p a pint, in the Student Union Bar at Plymouth Poly in the late 80's. Them were the days....
We were still paying 80 pence at the Man Met Student Union for a pint of Boddington's in the late 90's.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 6:50 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
We were still paying 80 pence at the Man Met Student Union for a pint of Boddington's in the late 90's.
Somewhere when I was younger I remember drinking eight pints of lager and getting a packet of Bensons all for 15 quid.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...I have never known British cask ale being shipped across the pond.....
The Winking Judge in Hamilton has Fullers on cask every 3-4 months or so (not just London Pride, I've seen others over the years).
Some of the best cask stuff I've had this year has been from Clifford (also in Hamilton). Occasionally at the Judge, they had a few on at Because Beer (a great little beer fest in Pier 4 park).

Toronto types may have heard of Cask Days. Tip: swerve the Fri/Sat sessions (which are getting overpriced, full of "beer bros", and generally not as well run as previous years) and instead pony up $15 for the Sunday afternoon one which is far more chilled and they're pouring far more generously as it's the "get rid of it all" session.

So much great beer - and, at last, cider - being produced locally (at least, in my part of Ontario). That said, I've been blown away with equally great stuff in BC and QC (honourable mention to Quidi Vidi in St John's, NL - well worth a visit, and a great way to spend a tactical "free" 23-hour layover in YYT if that sort of thing floats your boat )
Old Aug 27th 2019, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
So much great beer - and, at last, cider - being produced locally (at least, in my part of Ontario). That said, I've been blown away with equally great stuff in BC and QC (honourable mention to Quidi Vidi in St John's, NL - well worth a visit, and a great way to spend a tactical "free" 23-hour layover in YYT if that sort of thing floats your boat )
This is a good one from Hamilton

https://untappd.com/b/fairweather-br...de-ipa/2185393

Collective Arts make some great beers..not sure about the cask lineup.

I was on a wine tour recently in Niagara and we went to Bench Brewery and some of their beer was not bad although the food was better.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Fairweather is probably my favourite these days (declaration of interest: they kindly let our home brew club brew on their premises when we did a brew for Cask Days - cripes, three years ago... time flies).

I'm not aware of Collective Arts doing much (if anything) on cask; they're very much focused on their (frankly pretty aggressive) expansion plans, that include distribution to the UK amongst other territories. A friend of a friend takes care of the SW England distro. I was in Bath back in March, and had one of the first kegs of State of Mind (RIP - now replaced by the, IMO, highly inferior Hazy State... but haze sells to beer bros *sigh*). It kicked inside two days, and was very well received.

Bench do more sours (which isn't to everyone's taste, so feels right to give fair warning). Didn't realize they do food at the brewery. Some UK friends visiting right now may be heading that way tomorrow, I'll let them know (as they were thinking about hitting Bench).

If you're in the Niagara area, definitely check out Niagara College. They offer one of the only degree programs in brewing in north America (more applied than Siebel in Chicago, IIRC Olds in Alberta launched a similar program after the NC one was launched). The brewmaster/prof in charge is a Brit called Jon Downing, who's lived in St Catherine's for the past couple of decades and consults to breweries all over the world. Great guy, really knows his stuff, and has very much driven the success of the NC program from scratch as I understand it.
The college has a brewery store on site (just off the QEW) and the teaching restaurant is worth considering. As it's final year students, keep in mind there are some minor missteps, but overall is very good value for money (and you can do a flight of wines that includes ones made by the students on the viniculture program).
Old Aug 28th 2019, 1:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
If you're in the Niagara area, definitely check out Niagara College. They offer one of the only degree programs in brewing in north America (more applied than Siebel in Chicago, IIRC Olds in Alberta launched a similar program after the NC one was launched). The brewmaster/prof in charge is a Brit called Jon Downing, who's lived in St Catherine's for the past couple of decades and consults to breweries all over the world. Great guy, really knows his stuff, and has very much driven the success of the NC program from scratch as I understand it.

Old Oct 17th 2019, 2:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

No. Just, no....

Old Oct 17th 2019, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
No. Just, no....

Im inclined to agree with you there old bean.....must be for the Canadian yuppie market....

That said British breweries are at it too! My cousin sent me a pic of some Porter that was on in one of the watering holes... it was called "Stay puft" It was...... get this........ Marshmellow and Irish cream Porter!!! ....it was actually served with 2 marshmellows floating on top!! NO!!.. just no!!
Old Oct 29th 2019, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Since we're on the subject, I must confess that this is actually not bad. I wouldn't normally touch anything from a can (except one of those with a widget) but it seems okay for this.

Finally bought a case of this recently - it's pretty good! It was just under $8 at Superstore, which for 12 cans beer I'll happily forego the alchohol content, that's a great deal. Only 3g of Sugar per can too. The taste is somewhere between Molson and Budweiser, so nothing exceptional but perfectly decent.

Also kind of nice to enjoy a beer without feeling sleepy afterwards, and it seems there is more studies coming out saying that all alchohol is bad for you so it's a good way to moderate intake.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 5:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Finally bought a case of this recently - it's pretty good! It was just under $8 at Superstore, which for 12 cans beer I'll happily forego the alchohol content, that's a great deal. Only 3g of Sugar per can too. The taste is somewhere between Molson and Budweiser, so nothing exceptional but perfectly decent.

Somewhere between piss and shit? It must be the bollocks.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 6:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nah, 'taint.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well yeah if you're expecting an ale / craft beer experience you're not going to get it from this blonde brew. I'd say it's definitely nicer than budweiser though which I've never liked either.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Oct 29th 2019 at 6:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.