British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Been to the doc for the rash now and (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/been-doc-rash-now-504909/)

YYZlover Jan 9th 2008 2:18 pm

Been to the doc for the rash now and

yup - stress related with a hint of allergy in there. Steroid cream for the spots that are not broken, will clear up on its own, probably not the rosea thing, just basically body saying ENOUGH!

Doc was on about getting me anti-anxiety pills so I can sleep at night if itch was too bad and to help me unwind but then decided against it after we started talking about Canada. Trust me to end up with a doc who had plans to move to Toronto a few years ago.

We got on to that subject as I said "I don't want to look like this in two months time when I board a plane to Canada. They won't let me on board!"

He figured I'll be fine as long as I learn to unwind and stop stressing about everything.

mandymoochops Jan 9th 2008 2:24 pm

Re: Been to the doc for the rash now and

Glad its not too serious - easier said than done though about not stressing :eek:

ladymoose Jan 9th 2008 3:28 pm

Glad you know what it is now - lots of long baths with glasses of wine called for I reckon ;)

Zoe Bell Jan 9th 2008 4:19 pm

Glad it is nothing serious. Reckon that the canadian air will sort it out for you. My skin has been a lot better rash wise, but pack some good moisturiser for the plane (less than 100mls of course ;)) and for your first few days here as the drier air can really make you suffer till you get used to it.

Oh and lip balm as well!

Beebop Jan 9th 2008 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by YYZlover (Post 5763754)
yup - stress related with a hint of allergy in there. Steroid cream for the spots that are not broken, will clear up on its own, probably not the rosea thing, just basically body saying ENOUGH!

Doc was on about getting me anti-anxiety pills so I can sleep at night if itch was too bad and to help me unwind but then decided against it after we started talking about Canada. Trust me to end up with a doc who had plans to move to Toronto a few years ago.

We got on to that subject as I said "I don't want to look like this in two months time when I board a plane to Canada. They won't let me on board!"

He figured I'll be fine as long as I learn to unwind and stop stressing about everything.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Rel...9903076&sr=8-2

Caitilin Jan 10th 2008 9:51 pm

consider massage ro reiki - both very relaxing imho, and well worth the money or time.

I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders I can't solve myself and they are godsends and I always leave there so much more clear headed.

If you were in ireland I'd offer as i'm qualified at both.

boxerdog03 Jan 10th 2008 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Caitilin (Post 5770541)
consider massage ro reiki - both very relaxing imho, and well worth the money or time.

I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders I can't solve myself and they are godsends and I always leave there so much more clear headed.

If you were in ireland I'd offer as i'm qualified at both.

I have a hot stone aromatherapy massage every month, it's well worth the money.

live to ski Jan 11th 2008 1:54 am

Thank goodness it is nothing serious, and just a warning from your body to look after yourself more.

I know can be a bit of a hippy when it comes to these things, but remember that there are different types of stress. There is emotional stress which is what most of you refer to (massage, reiki, yoga, pilates can really help these) I even find running is so good. A 20 mins gentle jog gives me a chance to just catch up on my thoughts if nothing else, and I always sllep so much better.

But there are also additional stresses that we put on our body such as alcohol (sorry ladymoose), caffine, even dairy, plus all sorts of other chemicals.

Also think very carefully about taking medication for stress and anxiety (not sure from your post whether it was Doc or you who changed their mind about taking them) because of the side-effects. Also so many GPs / family doctors hand them out rather than taking time to get to the bottom of the issues and finding a sustainable long term solution.

YYZlover Jan 11th 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by live to ski (Post 5771206)
Thank goodness it is nothing serious, and just a warning from your body to look after yourself more.

I know can be a bit of a hippy when it comes to these things, but remember that there are different types of stress. There is emotional stress which is what most of you refer to (massage, reiki, yoga, pilates can really help these) I even find running is so good. A 20 mins gentle jog gives me a chance to just catch up on my thoughts if nothing else, and I always sllep so much better.

But there are also additional stresses that we put on our body such as alcohol (sorry ladymoose), caffine, even dairy, plus all sorts of other chemicals.

Also think very carefully about taking medication for stress and anxiety (not sure from your post whether it was Doc or you who changed their mind about taking them) because of the side-effects. Also so many GPs / family doctors hand them out rather than taking time to get to the bottom of the issues and finding a sustainable long term solution.

l2s very good post. Thank you.

I'm the type of person who thrive on positive stress. Lots of work will just make me feel better and work harder. But you are perfectly correct when it comes to emotional stress, which is what has been bringing me down lately. I won't jog but as soon as I get the farrier out to put new shoes on my horse, I'll get out riding.

The meds I would have said no to and I think the doc sensed I would not have taken them. Also, his main reason for giving them to me (and he would only have given me a prescription of 20) would be to help me sleep if the itch went bad. I have enough Kalms and nytol and simple sleep at home for that use.

The good news is that the red spots are fading. I now see mostly the scabby spots. Still no massive itch but slightly more than at first. And I'm sleeping loads. I can sleep loads without any problems at all. I should cut down on my sleep slightly and try to turn myself in to European time zone and stop living on East Coast time zone.

Anyway - got work to do.

Cheers and thanks for all the good advice!

Yoong Jan 12th 2008 6:45 am

Good to hear that your rash is getting better.
Try epsom salt bath to help relax and detoxify the
skin before bed time. Just a thought :)

Yoong

YYZlover Jan 12th 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Yoong (Post 5776811)
Good to hear that your rash is getting better.
Try epsom salt bath to help relax and detoxify the
skin before bed time. Just a thought :)

Yoong

I'm not sure I can get Epsom salt here in Sweden. I will have a look for it.

Rash is much better but skin is highly sensitive. Anything that can irritate it will and then it's agony. But the good news is that there seems to be mostly stubborn scabs that are renewing, few new spots have turned up on the arms, still minimal itching.

And thanks to people here and other circumstances (like finalizing plans to go on a reccie trip in March) I am calming down. Slept 6 hours last night (read - this morning) and feel more rested and refreshed than I have in months! (I'm normally cranky as sh!t if I've had less than 8 hours sleep).

Got to get ready. Going to a do and a church concert so will be stepping away from the computer and do something different.

:-)

Ontheboatout Jan 12th 2008 12:05 pm

Try some active manuka honey on one part and not on another and see if it improves. I use it on our daughters and it works on their skin.

Caitilin Jan 12th 2008 4:04 pm

and if manuka doesnt' work (and that stuff is brilliant) try a poultice of calendula petals and comfrey (calendula is an antiseptic/anti-inflamatory and comfrey if used externally helps heal the skin - also known as bone knit and used for that purpose internally)

alternatively, a milk and oatmeal bath is briliant for soothing even non rashy skin. pint of milk in the bath, add a handfull of rolled oats in a sock (to keep your drains from clogging) and hang it under hte tap/squidge it in the water. Soft as silk skin!