Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Been awhile :) Looking for some info on shipping companies - UK to Canada

Been awhile :) Looking for some info on shipping companies - UK to Canada

Old Oct 10th 2023, 9:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been awhile :) Looking for some info on shipping companies - UK to Canada

Hello everyone!

It has been a long time.

The time has come where I have been politely asked by my mother to ship my contents to BC.
I completed a goods to follow form, that was stamped etc. when I got my PR (2016).

The contents are about 4-5 medium boxes (no furniture etc.) of personal items like photo albums, books, scrapbooks, school books and some CDs etc. That I would like to ship out (these are stated on my goods to follow paperwork).

If there is a page about shipping companies etc. please let me know.

I will be heading back to the UK for 2 weeks next Spring/Summer and will look at getting this done then,, but in the meantime I would like to do some research into approx. cost/ process/ timelines etc.

Any assistance would be great and if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Thanks again
Old Oct 10th 2023, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been awhile :) Looking for some info on shipping companies - UK to Canada

My parents used the landmark option with Parcel2Go when sending me some personal belongings, very affordable. Only downside is if you put the value over $18CAD you'll be paying sales taxes on receipt and landmark has now way to waive this.
Old Oct 10th 2023, 9:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been awhile :) Looking for some info on shipping companies - UK to Canada

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
My parents used the landmark option with Parcel2Go when sending me some personal belongings, very affordable. Only downside is if you put the value over $18CAD you'll be paying sales taxes on receipt and landmark has now way to waive this.
Thanks I'll check it out and see. Do have the insurance incase they lose the stuff in the mail etc.
Unfortunately most of my items are irreplaceable so no option is foolproof
Old Oct 10th 2023, 10:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
...The time has come where I have been politely asked by my mother to ship my contents to BC.
I completed a goods to follow form, that was stamped etc. when I got my PR (2016).

The contents are about 4-5 medium boxes (no furniture etc.) of personal items like photo albums, books, scrapbooks, school books and some CDs etc.
I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago

I have a vague recollection of people suggesting bringing stuff and paying excess baggage. Maybe you could do that or at least some of it when you return.
I originally had stuff like that to get over but there was a ton of video tapes too which put the cost way up. Biggest mistake I made in the whole coming to Canada thing.
Old Oct 17th 2023, 8:04 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago

I have a vague recollection of people suggesting bringing stuff and paying excess baggage. Maybe you could do that or at least some of it when you return.
I originally had stuff like that to get over but there was a ton of video tapes too which put the cost way up. Biggest mistake I made in the whole coming to Canada thing.
Haha! How are you doing?
Yeah I don't have much time these days with a toddler, working full time and taking on one school course a semester to come on here

I have done that (before covid), I paid for an extra suitcase but I'm at the mercy of the strict weight requirements. I can take some stuff back
A lot of my scrapbook are very bulky (think of too much stuffed in a book so it doesn't shut properly) so it wouldn't take long to go over that amount.

I do agree with you about videos/CDs etc. I don't think ill bother with the DVDs because it's different region to US/Canada. Then with the CDs, maybe ill just take the one I care about and leave all the Korn, Limp Biskit, etc from my nu-metal teenage angst phase and get my mum to sell them at the local car boot.
Old Oct 17th 2023, 10:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

get everything digitised??
Old Oct 18th 2023, 6:53 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Haha! How are you doing?
Yeah I don't have much time these days with a toddler, working full time and taking on one school course a semester to come on here

I have done that (before covid), I paid for an extra suitcase but I'm at the mercy of the strict weight requirements. I can take some stuff back
A lot of my scrapbook are very bulky (think of too much stuffed in a book so it doesn't shut properly) so it wouldn't take long to go over that amount.

I do agree with you about videos/CDs etc. I don't think ill bother with the DVDs because it's different region to US/Canada. Then with the CDs, maybe ill just take the one I care about and leave all the Korn, Limp Biskit, etc from my nu-metal teenage angst phase and get my mum to sell them at the local car boot.
You can buy multi-region DVD players here, one such example from Best Buy Mediasonic DVD Player – All Region DVD Players w/ HDMI / AV Output, USB Multimedia Player Function, Upscaling 1080P (HW210AX) | Best Buy Canada