Bear Repellent

Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bear Repellent

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yep but, and i quote, "As the bears are classed as domesticated in this instance, we are unable to do anything about it".

The ironic thing is my FIL's place is a few doors down from a school.
Domesticated??

I like the idea of the starting pistol someone mentioned earlier.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Domesticated??

I like the idea of the starting pistol someone mentioned earlier.
What if the bear happens to be deaf?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
What if the bear happens to be deaf?
Well, of course then he would be a special kind of bear and need to be provided with the appropriate assistive devices.

Damn deaf white cat was strolling around/lying in the road last night when I came home. It didn't hear the car horn until I was right by it.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:03 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Was going to suggest Bear dogs, but then remembered it might be BC...don't think they are allowed there.

If it is the washing line - very bad taste seventies clothes?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:04 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Was going to suggest Bear dogs, but then remembered it might be BC...don't think they are allowed there.

If it is the washing line - very bad taste seventies clothes?
Are we back to the 'flares' joke again?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:16 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Are we back to the 'flares' joke again?
<snigger>
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:28 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helcat12
Are they some kind of firework, or are you suggesting forgetting about deterring them and instead turning them into a processed meat product?
Is that legal in Canada?
I'm surprised you haven't hear of bear bangers. They're a common bear deterrent here. Their sort of like firecrackers that you can launch about 50 ft with a pen launcher. They make a loud noise to scare off the bear. It appears they are legal to purchase in Canada.

http://www.ursusinternational.org/en/bangers.html
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
During a visit to my Father-in-Laws recently we were inundated with Bears. Probably averaged around 3 per day with 5 being the most over a space of 30 minutes one morning.

So after walking onto the porch one evening to find to one of the big hairy bastards nibbling on my wife's t-shirt off the washing line, and only being about 5 feet from them both before i saw them, i've decided to treat him to a Christmas pressie.

At the moment he chases them away by either throwing pots and pans at their heads or shooting them with his pump action pellet gun.

I'd like to treat him to some form of paintball type gun that fires paintballs, or beanbags, or balls filled with pepper spray. Something easy to carry so he can have it with him when he's gardening etc.

For you gun nuts out there, were would the best option in and around Vancouver, or mail order, to buy from. And also, what the hell would i be looking and asking for?

Ta
Sounds like you've created the problem by antagonizing them. Can't you just try and along with them? They like salmon.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

mutchg1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Use one of those large green leaf rakes for tidying the yard, just walk towards them and quickly scrape it along the ground and flick it towards them, fishing lodges have used them for years and say they are the best for chasing away black bears
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutchg1
Use one of those large green leaf rakes for tidying the yard, just walk towards them and quickly scrape it along the ground and flick it towards them, fishing lodges have used them for years and say they are the best for chasing away black bears
I'm not sure I would want to go up against a bear armed only with a rake
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutchg1
What you going to do? Brush it to death?

Re guns - it's illegal to shoot with 250 metres of a house. It's illegal to shoot a warning shot. It's illegal to shoot a bear without a licence (you, not the bear silly!) It's also stupid to shoot at a bear unless you are willing to shoot to kill. And if your gun isn't big enough it's doubly stupid!

NB: Bear spray may be illegal in your area.

Phone Fish and Wildlife (or provincial equivalent) and have them remove the bears.

Don't attract bears by leaving out pet food, bird seed, bbq stuff with grease on, or garbage (rubbish), or by growing berry bushes.

If bears are outside your house (you in general not the OP) it's safer for both you and the bear if you (and your pets) remain indoors. Then, phone Fish and Wildlife and have them deal with it.

If a bear poses an immediate and significant threat - a big if - for instance if your grandkid, or your 5yo child, runs into the backyard and surprises a sow and cubs, you're better off with something like a Marlin 450 (slow heavy round, short barreled carbine), or solid shot in your shotgun, so your round won't just go straight through the bear and kill someone 500 metres away, but will drop the bear in a second.

Last edited by triumphguy; Sep 20th 2010 at 9:02 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:08 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...bear-courgette

apparently courgettes are the answer
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Doh, I was just coming to post the BBC link.

http://bbc.in/9BcdcH
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Doh, I was just coming to post the BBC link.

http://bbc.in/9BcdcH
Yes, note to self - do not grow fruit / veg in garden if I do end up in BC.

Much prefer a Moose by my front door!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

she had a 'marrow escape'