BBC iPlayer

Old Sep 14th 2015, 12:25 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC iPlayer

Our Samsung Smart TV no longer plays the iPlayer app - something to do with the model number letting the iPlayer know that it is not a UK TV. So, does anyone have smart tv by another manufacturer that DOES play the iPlayer app and if so, what is the make and model.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC iPlayer

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Our Samsung Smart TV no longer plays the iPlayer app - something to do with the model number letting the iPlayer know that it is not a UK TV. So, does anyone have smart tv by another manufacturer that DOES play the iPlayer app and if so, what is the make and model.

Thanks!
I'm struggling with iplayer too. We have a "magic box" and it won't play... hubby is supposed to be contacting the guy we got it from to see about updating the settings. Hoping it will work then!
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I installed "unblock us" ($50 for a year) on my Canadian bought Samsung Smart TV. That then allowed to put BBC, ITV, and others on the Smart page. I'm not very techie so no doubt someone will be along with a better, cheaper method.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 1:57 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

UnblockUS and Unotelly both allow the television to cheat to say it's in the UK...

Unfortunately I'm not much more help than that... there are techier solutions like getting a Chromecast and then installing software on your router to get it to work, but it depends how much of a tekkie project you are wanting to take on to do that...

However the model number being a non-UK TV shouldn't matter... are you sure that's what's blocking it? What were you using before to get the app to work? VPN? DNS?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:05 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I have Uno-Telly running aleady - I know I read somewhere that only certain models of the Samsung Smart TV would now work with BBCiPlayer but I now cannot find this article anywhere!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:24 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

From the UnoTelly QuickStart page, go to Dynamo, then go to Samsung SmartHUB and change that to UK, see if that works.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:25 pm

Here is the info on why it won't work.....

"BBC has begun region-locking their apps on Samsung devices based on their Firmware. We have tested this on various models and found that North American TVs and devices are getting scrambled picture or no picture at all when accessing BBC iPlayer.

This seems to have to do with a recent update pushed by Samsung and BBC for the app.

Since this is a hardware restriction, we are not able to bypass it with UnoDNS. You are welcome to try it via UK VPN as well which gives you a UK IP address, but we found that it doesn't work either since the problem is at the firmware of the TV and the region in which it was purchased.

We haven't had any issues with European TVs as of now.

If you have a Samsung device that works for BBC on VPN but not on UnoDNS, please open a ticket at Submit a ticket : UnoTelly Customer Service so we can investigate.

We will keep looking into this to and post any updates as we get them."
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Oh. Well. That's crap.

The only workaround I can think of otherwise is the Chromecast option... I've posted about it before. You'd have to install some custom software on your router (if your router is compatible) to get it to work... but that would give you iPlayer on the TV.

If you want I can try to help you sort that... it is a mission, but it does work. (We have this setup and it works just fine.)
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:30 pm

Is that throwing BBCiPlayer from your computer to the TV?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Is that throwing BBCiPlayer from your computer to the TV?
Yes, or from your phone, whatever works. I use both. But you have to do some funky stuff in the router to trick the Chromecast to thinking you're in the UK (supported by UnoTelly).
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not just open iPlayer in a web page on the browser on your Samsung telly?

That's what we do on our LG (using Unotelly DNS settings at router level), because there is no App for that...
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:45 pm

Ooh now I did try that but I didn't have Unotelly set up on the router.....I shall try this as soon as I finish work for the day! Thanks!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I am so hoping that when I eventually get upgraded internet that this will be far easier than it sounds
Old Sep 17th 2015, 12:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Topical (for some of us):

John Whittingdale: Let people use BBC iPlayer abroad - Telegraph
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Topical (for some of us):
The Government has also committed to allowing the BBC to close the “iPlayer loophole” which allows people to watch the catch-up service without having to prove that they have paid the television licence fee.
Hmmm...it's very convenient to be able to access iPlayer using MediaHint and all the other nifty things but if one had to register using some sort of password linked to the licence fee, I daresay one would easily find alternative sources of viewing the same content. Or, indeed, liaising with a genuine licence fee payer and signing on as if one was that person "travelling" abroad.

I'm sure that many people would be happy to pay a reasonable sum for reliable, non fancy/expensive gadget, involved access to BBC where the money actually does go to the BBC rather than into the pockets of some fly-by-night operator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.