Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Banking problem, UK cheque to Canadian bank

Banking problem, UK cheque to Canadian bank

Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banking problem, UK cheque to Canadian bank

Here's the situation.

A relative in England sent me a cheque for my birthday, lots of money in GBP which I paid into my Canadian account and spent the money. About four weeks later I see that some GBP money has been taken from the account. About $70 more than the cheque I'd paid in.

My bank told me that the writer of the cheque must have told her bank that the cheque had been lost or stolen and tough luck about losing the extra money but it was because of rate exchange rates.

I talk to my relative who insists she hadn't cancelled the cheque and she headed into the vivid ridden town to go to the bank. They tell her that the cheque was from a cheque book that she had received last year but she had told them she hadn't received it and so it was cancelled.

Phew.
​​​​​​i am annoyed, very annoyed, that neither bank thought to contact either of us about this. That surely the UK bank could see that the signature and writing were the usual..
How can they take money from your account without your approval? They accepted the cheque withiutowithout waiting for it to clear, don't they have some responsibility here?

Old Jul 29th 2020, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking problem, UK cheque to Canadian bank

Unfortunately paying in a foreign cheque into a bank account does usually come with a hefty fee. It would have been best for your relative to transfer the money.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 29th 2020 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 11:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the money was taken back, and that is certainly possible if the sender/ sending back has declared the check was stolen, cancelled or lost, and with international checks it can be weeks or even months later when the money can be redebited (taken back out).

Under the terms of your account (certainly in the US, and I suspect in Canada), when you deposit a check you are vouching for the validity of the check, which is why (in the US) you are requried to sign the back of the checks that you deposit. IF they're no good, then the funds come right back out, and the account holder is SOL.

This is a common feature of Nigerian frauds - people receive a check, draw cash, and send it using Western Union as per the instructions they were given, and think that they have done very nicely netting say, $5,000 from a $7,000 check (maybe it's to pay for a car, which someone "is coming to collect"), but then the $7k check bounces and they are out the $2k they sent "back" via Western Union.

Oh, and it is a myth that banks check signatures, they don't now, and for most checks they haven't checked signatures for decades, unless perhaps they are for very large amounts. I doubt signatures have been checked since check processing was centralized*, and that must have been in the 1970's, or maybe earlier. Prior to that checks were sent back to the branch where the account was held, for the account to be debited, and at that time signatures might have been checked, maybe?

* Unless there was some other concern about the validity of the check i.e. there was a problem or concern with the check that was not the signature, then the signature would also be checked.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 29th 2020 at 11:45 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 1:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds like the money was taken back, and that is certainly possible if the sender/ sending back has declared the check was stolen, cancelled or lost, and with international checks it can be weeks or even months later when the money can be redebited (taken back out).

Under the terms of your account (certainly in the US, and I suspect in Canada), when you deposit a check you are vouching for the validity of the check, which is why (in the US) you are requried to sign the back of the checks that you deposit. IF they're no good, then the funds come right back out, and the account holder is SOL.

This is a common feature of Nigerian frauds - people receive a check, draw cash, and send it using Western Union as per the instructions they were given, and think that they have done very nicely netting say, $5,000 from a $7,000 check (maybe it's to pay for a car, which someone "is coming to collect"), but then the $7k check bounces and they are out the $2k they sent "back" via Western Union.

Oh, and it is a myth that banks check signatures, they don't now, and for most checks they haven't checked signatures for decades, unless perhaps they are for very large amounts. I doubt signatures have been checked since check processing was centralized*, and that must have been in the 1970's, or maybe earlier. Prior to that checks were sent back to the branch where the account was held, for the account to be debited, and at that time signatures might have been checked, maybe?

* Unless there was some other concern about the validity of the check i.e. there was a problem or concern with the check that was not the signature, then the signature would also be checked.
The cheque wasn't cancelled after the event and I didn't sign it on the back, just paid it in. No Nigerians were involved! The UK bank say that she had used a cheque from a cheque book that she had reported, last year, as never having received it. I guess the machine that checks the numbers then flagged it up? I've no idea really.
So annoying that they can do all this without informing anyone.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 1:04 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Unfortunately paying in a foreign cheque into a bank account does usually come with a hefty fee. It would have been best for your relative to transfer the money.
the fee isn't in question
Old Jul 30th 2020, 1:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
The cheque wasn't cancelled after the event and I didn't sign it on the back, just paid it in. ...... The UK bank say that she had used a cheque from a cheque book that she had reported, last year, as never having received it. I guess the machine that checks the numbers then flagged it up? I've no idea really.
So annoying that they can do all this without informing anyone.
I didn't say "after the event", and indeed reporting something as lost or stolen after the event (after the cheque was issued), could be construed as fraud. From the bank's point of view the cheque was already void when the cheque wa written, as it had been reported "lost" (gone missing somewhere) and flagged accordingly in the bank's systems. The bank had no way of knowing, unless the account holder had told them, that the checks had been found/ recovered and could now be honoured after all. So if anyone was guilty of "doing something without informing anyone", it was the account holder who issued a cheque that the bank had previously voided after it was reported missing.

Suppose that the book of cheques had actually been stolen, and then a check had been issued and deposited fraudulently, say, in Canada, and the check had been debited back to the account on which it was drawn. Wouldn't the account holder now be tearing their hair out, complaining that the bank had allowed a check to be processed that they (the bank) had already been notified had been lost/ misplaced/ stolen? Sometimes it seems as if banks are damned ether way.

In short, you should never use a check from a sequence that you have already notified the bank has been lost/ stolen.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 30th 2020 at 1:48 am.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As for fees for depositing foreign checks, I have never been charged any fees for ever doing so, sure the exchange is not great, but I don't consider a bank exchange rate a fee, but no bank I have ever used charged an actual fee for foreign checks.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
.... no bank I have ever used charged an actual fee for foreign checks.
Have you ever deposted a check from any further afield than across the US-Canadian border?
Old Jul 30th 2020, 2:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever deposted a check from any further afield than across the US-Canadian border?
Just once, otherwise its always been US checks which are treated as foreign and do have the foreign hold placed on them, but maybe they don't charge fees for US$ based checks. I also tend to use the off brand no branch banks which have really less fees vs big banks even though these off brands are owned by a big bank lol
Old Jul 30th 2020, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Your relative was very irresponsible to report it lost/stolen then go on to write cheques with that book after it turned up. What else could the bank do? Now you’ve been punished with an NSF fee from their negligence. Not really much recourse.

If you go into your banks branch and talk to them, they may reverse the bounced cheque fee as a courtesy.

If you still have an open UK bank account just advise the relative just to deposit cash into that account at the bank with the account number.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 1:58 pm
limey party pooper

I didn't say "after the event", and indeed reporting something as lost or stolen after the event (after the cheque was issued), could be construed as fraud. From the bank's point of view the cheque was already void when the cheque wa written, as it had been reported "lost" (gone missing somewhere) and flagged accordingly in the bank's systems. The bank had no way of knowing, unless the account holder had told them, that the checks had been found/ recovered and could now be honoured after all. So if anyone was guilty of "doing something without informing anyone", it was the account holder who issued a cheque that the bank had previously voided after it was reported missing.

Suppose that the book of cheques had actually been stolen, and then a check had been issued and deposited fraudulently, say, in Canada, and the check had been debited back to the account on which it was drawn. Wouldn't the account holder now be tearing their hair out, complaining that the bank had allowed a check to be processed that they (the bank) had already been notified had been lost/ misplaced/ stolen? Sometimes it seems as if banks are damned ether way.

In short, you should never use a check from a sequence that you have already notified the bank has been lost/ stolen.
Yeah, I suppose I get that, that they were doing what they had to do. Technically correct. I'm surprised that there wasn't a clearing time on the cheque, didn't there used to be a three day clearance before the money was in your account? To me putting the money in my account means that they have accepted the cheque as good.
It was just a coincidence that I chose to check my account and saw what was happening, it could have been sometime otherwise. Notification by the bank would have been good customer service. Plus they told me that the person had cancelled the cheque in person that day which caused me to worry about why.
My conclusion is that they were technically correct but lousy customer service. Thank you for your comments which helped clarify things.

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Your relative was very irresponsible to report it lost/stolen then go on to write cheques with that book after it turned up. What else could the bank do? Now you’ve been punished with an NSF fee from their negligence. Not really much recourse.

If you go into your banks branch and talk to them, they may reverse the bounced cheque fee as a courtesy.

If you still have an open UK bank account just advise the relative just to deposit cash into that account at the bank with the account number.
Not irresponsible, just forgetful. She still doesn't remember telling them the cheque book had never arrived.

Oh and one thing, on the bit of paper I got from the bank the account numbers for the cheque and the account that the money is said to have come from. Can there be another account number?
Old Jul 30th 2020, 6:41 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I've had quite a few cheques from my parents in the UK, so they're UK pound cheques from their bank accounts. Varying amounts, small and large. They get deposited into my TD checking account, and so far I've never had any fees for depositing the cheque. The only limitation I've seen is a hold on the funds, which seems to be around 30 business days.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 2:40 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by sharkus
I've had quite a few cheques from my parents in the UK, so they're UK pound cheques from their bank accounts. Varying amounts, small and large. They get deposited into my TD checking account, and so far I've never had any fees for depositing the cheque. The only limitation I've seen is a hold on the funds, which seems to be around 30 business days.
If they had done that then none of this would have happened. My bank was TD too
Old Jul 31st 2020, 3:01 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
If they had done that then none of this would have happened. My bank was TD too
So they didn't put a hold on the cheque? If so that's really bad and if you have not done so, I'd have a little chat with them.

This might be of use: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/520866.pdf

It mentions that for cheques from financial institutions outside of Canada the hold will be 30 business days, starting the day after the cheque is deposited.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

If you have good account standing and long term relationship with the bank holds are often waived and they will "loan" you the money while the check clears but your still responsible for paying the bank back if the check is returned.

Thats been my experience with checks anyhow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.