British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Banff - things to do for non-skiers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/banff-things-do-non-skiers-909090/)

Partially discharged Feb 13th 2018 8:31 pm

Re: Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12441440)
I first visited Banff in 1969, and haven't changed my mind much in all the intervening years ............... over-run by tourists, ye olde fudge shop, and shops selling Chinese- or Japanese-made souvenirs.

Yes, Jasper has one fudge shop, the same type of souvenirs, but it never feels over-powered.

Where are you staying in Jasper??

Jasper Park Lodge is very expensive but I love it.

We've stayed twice recently at Whistlers' Inn ............ built in the 1930s and retaining a lot of that era's atmosphere, reasonably priced, clean and comfortable, in downtown, and with a very lively pub on the main floor. Ask for a room(s) on the quiet side as one side looks out over the railway tracks ........... though we had a room directly opposite the station last year and were not disturbed by any noise.

Lovely kitschy coffee and sandwich shop, Coco's Cafe on Patricia Street, and also a wonderful bakery on Connaught, Bear's Paw bakery and The Other Paw Bakery Cafe.

Do take the gondola to the top of The Whistlers to get an overall view.

Lots of places to eat

First visited Banff in the summer of 1965 as a 1 year old (father was on a sabbatical in Canada) and there are photos of me there that I may try and recreate as a 53 year old.

We're hoping to do a lot of hiking etc in the area (wife, 17 year old son and I). In Jasper we're staying in a house through VRBO about a 10 minute walk SW of the main part of town.

In Radium Hot Springs we found a place through Air B'n B. We'd like to be able to make our own meals so we booked those kind of places.

caretaker Feb 13th 2018 9:03 pm

A Japanese tourist took my picture once as I stepped off the Greyhound in Banff. I may still be in an album somewhere on far side of the Pacific.

scilly Feb 13th 2018 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12441432)
I much prefer Banff to Jasper.

The location of the mountains is far more impressive and there is far more to do within a reasonable distance of the town than in Jasper.

The highest mountain in the Canadian Rockies is near Jasper .... Mount Robson, ~12,970'.

The sight of Mount Robson as you drive the Yellowhead Highway from BC to Jasper is one that is never to be forgotten ....... you drive round a a bend and there is this huge mountain rising straight in front of you. It looks as though the road is going to run into the base!

I had that view for the first time in 1969, it's still very vivid in my mind. Now we see it regularly from the train between Vancouver and Jasper

scilly Feb 13th 2018 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12441451)
First visited Banff in the summer of 1965 as a 1 year old (father was on a sabbatical in Canada) and there are photos of me there that I may try and recreate as a 53 year old.

We're hoping to do a lot of hiking etc in the area (wife, 17 year old son and I). In Jasper we're staying in a house through VRBO about a 10 minute walk SW of the main part of town.

In Radium Hot Springs we found a place through Air B'n B. We'd like to be able to make our own meals so we booked those kind of places.

You will probably be able to recreate them very well ......... Banff is within Park boundaries, and development is restricted, so many areas look as they did 50 or more years ago!

The same also of course applies to Jasper.

ann m Feb 13th 2018 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12440945)
Things that you would never say in Europe, part 351. :rofl:

True- I was thinking of the 7 year old. ;)

Hurlabrick Feb 17th 2018 12:56 pm

We just spent a few days at Mont Tremblant and neither of us did skiing but found loads to do.

How about riding a snow mobile (you should be able to find a two hour guided ride), a day pass at a spa resort, Canmore definitely worth a drive out to and a look around. Any wildlife parks near Banff?

scilly Feb 19th 2018 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12444233)
We just spent a few days at Mont Tremblant and neither of us did skiing but found loads to do.

How about riding a snow mobile (you should be able to find a two hour guided ride), a day pass at a spa resort, Canmore definitely worth a drive out to and a look around. Any wildlife parks near Banff?

Banff is in a wild life park!!!

Banff National Park ....... Canada's first National park

zoos and wildlife parks are not allowed within a national park ... you only have to walk down the street to see moose, deer and possibly even a bear (though not a bear in winter)

Hurlabrick Feb 19th 2018 12:53 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12445327)
Banff is in a wild life park!!!

Banff National Park ....... Canada's first National park

zoos and wildlife parks are not allowed within a national park ... you only have to walk down the street to see moose, deer and possibly even a bear (though not a bear in winter)

So much the better! It was a bit weird and sad seeing these magnificent animals through wire and cattle grids!

caretaker Feb 19th 2018 2:08 am

You can't go hungry in Banff: