Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:02 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banff - things to do for non-skiers

The Moose is a nice hotel - close to the main strip of shops, bars, restaurants and supermarket so you don't have to walk too far for supplies. At that hotel they give you a free pass for Banff's 'roam' transit so you'll be able to get to the gondola at sulphur mountain, Banff Springs and the other close by tourist sites.

Touloulou's is good for breakfast but quite small so you may have to wait if its busy. We like the Elk and Oarsman pub which is upstairs on the main strip - food is fairly reasonable and its a pub where you can take kids. Also the Waldhaus pub is quite nice too - tucked away past the Bow Falls, below the Banff Springs Hotel. Last year they did a kids easter treasure hunt up at the top of the gondola and our kids had fun doing that.

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Feb 13th 2018 at 2:06 am.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

People do live in Banff, as well as thousands of tourists .......... so there is at least one supermarket.

I personally much prefer Jasper .......... I find that a much more pleasant small town, with friendlier locals. Banff is touristy
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I was say the main super market is slightly bigger than a mini mart.

Cochrane is just down the road as well I believe.
Just a bit

Photos
Old Feb 13th 2018, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I was say the main super market is slightly bigger than a mini mart.

Cochrane is just down the road as well I believe.
Canmore?

Cochrane is a good hour away....I prefer Canmore to both Banff and cochrane. It just feels like you could live there, unlike Banff.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:10 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Family-friendly restaurant that won't break the bank is the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Pretty much what it says on the tin Pasta in various guises and child friendly. Gourmet it is not, but certainly quite acceptable.

We like Earls too for a decent sit down meal. Get there before 5pm or wait a while for a table.
Things that you would never say in Europe, part 351.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
The Moose is a nice hotel - close to the main strip of shops, bars, restaurants and supermarket so you don't have to walk too far for supplies. At that hotel they give you a free pass for Banff's 'roam' transit so you'll be able to get to the gondola at sulphur mountain, Banff Springs and the other close by tourist sites.

Touloulou's is good for breakfast but quite small so you may have to wait if its busy. We like the Elk and Oarsman pub which is upstairs on the main strip - food is fairly reasonable and its a pub where you can take kids. Also the Waldhaus pub is quite nice too - tucked away past the Bow Falls, below the Banff Springs Hotel. Last year they did a kids easter treasure hunt up at the top of the gondola and our kids had fun doing that.
Thank you so much - this is fantastic information!

I don’t mind taking public transport, have been on a few trips to St.Anton in Austria so would take the local bus to other villages to meet up with the skiers for lunch, either at the bottom of the slopes or taking a gondola up and dining at the mountain restaurants, I’ve also done this at Swiss ski resorts too....but the bonus in Canada is that English is spoken of course and the Canadians are so friendly! (Although there are so many Aussies working at ski resorts but I guess many have just gone home for the new university year Down Under)

My spouse is still trying to convince me to ski again, so we can spend the afternoons with our granddaughter but I don’t think she will be doing much in her very first week of learning to ski (she’s about to turn 7 but is tiny for her age). The last time I was on the slopes was about 3 years ago in Arosa, eastern Switzerland but I just didn’t enjoy it anymore.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I don’t mind taking public transport, have been on a few trips to St.Anton in Austria so would take the local bus to other villages to meet up with the skiers for lunch, either at the bottom of the slopes or taking a gondola up and dining at the mountain restaurants, I’ve also done this at Swiss ski resorts too....but the bonus in Canada is that English is spoken of course and the Canadians are so friendly! (Although there are so many Aussies working at ski resorts but I guess many have just gone home for the new university year Down Under)

My spouse is still trying to convince me to ski again, so we can spend the afternoons with our granddaughter but I don’t think she will be doing much in her very first week of learning to ski (she’s about to turn 7 but is tiny for her age). The last time I was on the slopes was about 3 years ago in Arosa, eastern Switzerland but I just didn’t enjoy it anymore.

Most of the Aussies that come are not uni students ........ they come at least for the whole season. So you'll see plenty of them!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Kids seem to learn quite quickly, you may be surprised at how well she does.

This tot starting skiing just after learning to walk

And this is a 3 year olds first ski experience

Have you thought about trying snowboarding instead?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve also done this at Swiss ski resorts too....but the bonus in Canada is that English is spoken of course and the Canadians are so friendly!
Not sure which places in CH you've been to but everytime I was there english was readily spoken. In the French parts I tried to speak french but the locals quickly switched to english (now there's a hint about my french) and in the German and Italian speaking areas I was next to useless unless they spoke english and in the german speaking areas their english was flawless.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Things that you would never say in Europe, part 351.
ha ha....Dinner in many places in Spain starts at about 21h30
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scilly
People do live in Banff, as well as thousands of tourists .......... so there is at least one supermarket.

I personally much prefer Jasper .......... I find that a much more pleasant small town, with friendlier locals. Banff is touristy
We're staying in Jasper in July/August as well as Radium Hot Springs but just passing through Banff after landing in Calgary.

Banff seems like a bit of a chocolate box type of town overrun by tourists who rarely get away from ye olde fudge shoppes...or am I wrong.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
We're staying in Jasper in July/August as well as Radium Hot Springs but just passing through Banff after landing in Calgary.

Banff seems like a bit of a chocolate box type of town overrun by tourists who rarely get away from ye olde fudge shoppes...or am I wrong.
I much prefer Banff to Jasper.

The location of the mountains is far more impressive and there is far more to do within a reasonable distance of the town than in Jasper.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
When a beginner, it is far easier to fall snowboarding than skiing as, at slow speeds, skiing in quite easy.

Even at slow speeds, catching an edge and falling on a snowboard hurts.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

I first visited Banff in 1969, and haven't changed my mind much in all the intervening years ............... over-run by tourists, ye olde fudge shop, and shops selling Chinese- or Japanese-made souvenirs.

Yes, Jasper has one fudge shop, the same type of souvenirs, but it never feels over-powered.

Where are you staying in Jasper??

Jasper Park Lodge is very expensive but I love it.

We've stayed twice recently at Whistlers' Inn ............ built in the 1930s and retaining a lot of that era's atmosphere, reasonably priced, clean and comfortable, in downtown, and with a very lively pub on the main floor. Ask for a room(s) on the quiet side as one side looks out over the railway tracks ........... though we had a room directly opposite the station last year and were not disturbed by any noise.

Lovely kitschy coffee and sandwich shop, Coco's Cafe on Patricia Street, and also a wonderful bakery on Connaught, Bear's Paw bakery and The Other Paw Bakery Cafe.

Do take the gondola to the top of The Whistlers to get an overall view.

Lots of places to eat
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I had a doctor about 20 years ago who was a great athlete, played quite a high level of rugby and loved skiing.

HIS doctor told him that he was getting too old to ski and should try snowboarding.

First time out he fell, automatically tucked his arm across his body as he'd learnt to do in rugby . and broke 2 ribs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.