Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Banff - things to do for non-skiers

We are spending the Easter week in Banff, Alberta and staying at the Moose Hotel.

Our daughter is flying in from the UK with our 7 year old granddaughter, (the plan is to enrol GD for her first ever ski lessons). Our Aussie friends are flying in from Singapore. At least two of us won’t be skiing (I never progressed beyond the novice stage and got fed up of being left alone on the mountains lol).

Can anyone recommend ideas on things to do for non-skiers? I may have the use of a rental car, the skiers and snowboarders will be sharing another car to get to Sunshine but tbh I dislike driving if there may be ice on the road so happy to take public transport if necessary.

Also, any recommendations for places to eat which won’t break the bank? Any other tips, hints? Thank you!
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:39 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banff - things to do for non-skiers

If you buy a Big 3 Ski Pass then you are able to ski on both Sunshine and Lake Louise as well as another mountain. The good thing with the pass is there is also a very good shuttle service from Banff to the mountains so you'd not need a car.

Other than that Banff has the springs and there are some micro breweries in and around. It's also fairly scenic to walk around.

The prices of the bars/restaurants I found to be cheaper than Toronto.

A week is probably a long time if you are not skiing/boarding.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You could hike Johnstone canyon, it's beautiful, you will need cleat things on your feet, you can do a tour where they supply transport and gear or use your own and drive.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Golfing at the world renowned course will also be out.
If not into the winter type sports then probably at that time of year a different location should have been chosen thats not saying Banff doesn't have a lot to offer for non winter sporting type people.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Sit at a window table in your hotel bar with a hot toddie and the watch the procession of ambulances coming to pick up the injured skiers.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Take a tour, they still run them in winter.

Take part in apres-ski events .......... lots of the ones who go up in the gondolas don't actually go out in the snow!

Go to the Banff Springs Hotel, and enjoy the grand ambience there .............. you could kill several hours with morning coffee, lunch, shops all without leaving the hotel!

Shops in Banff tend to be touristy cheap, if my memory serves me correct. It's about 15 years since we spent a couple of days there between Christmas and NY ........ neither of us ski, but we found things to do.

Take a coach day trip up to Jasper, which is MUCH nicer than Banff
Old Feb 11th 2018, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There are many sites to see within walking distance of the town. There are lots of lakes to see too (louise, minewanka, moraine, etc.)

Take a trip to Sulphur Mountain and either walk up, or take the gondola. If you walk up, I believe the gondola down is free.

I don't know if it will be too early in the year for a trail ride but there are operators that provide easy to ride trail horses.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is a nice walk, even in winter in snow and ice, along the Banff Falls, which are just behind the Banff Springs Hotel.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:23 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Englishmum,

How are you? Just over five years since we met in New York, how time flies. The Sulphur Mointain Gondola is a must. The view from the top is spectacular. You could also visit the Banff Hot Springs, but I can’t comment on them as I never visited them in all the years I lived in Alberta. There are lots of nice walks in the Banff area too. The roads might not be icy when you visit, so take advantage of the rental car. In my experience the highways are generally kept clear of snow. Lake Louise is not far from Banff and worth a visit.

Snowshoeing is a nice activity for non skiers and you can probably rent snowshoes in Banff.

Last edited by lf1; Feb 11th 2018 at 10:42 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough

There's lots of ways you can enjoy the winter wonderland without skiing! Definitely snowshoe around Lake Louise, and find out where you can ice skate. There used to be sleigh rides around the lake too - not sure if there still are but worth looking into. We went dog sledding near Banff too... absolutely brilliant experience!
I worked at Sunshine many moons ago - it would be worth going up in the gondola with the skiers one day (great views!) and cosying up with a hot chocolate in the chimney corner. You'll be able to watch them ski by 😊
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Family-friendly restaurant that won't break the bank is the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Pretty much what it says on the tin Pasta in various guises and child friendly. Gourmet it is not, but certainly quite acceptable.

We like Earls too for a decent sit down meal. Get there before 5pm or wait a while for a table.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Hello Englishmum,

How are you? Just over five years since we met in New York, how time flies. The Sulphur Mointain Gondola is a must. The view from the top is spectacular. You could also visit the Banff Hot Springs, but I can’t comment on them as I never visited them in all the years I lived in Alberta. There are lots of nice walks in the Banff area too. The roads might not be icy when you visit, so take advantage of the rental car. In my experience the highways are generally kept clear of snow. Lake Louise is not far from Banff and worth a visit.

Snowshoeing is a nice activity for non skiers and you can probably rent snowshoes in Banff.
Hello! I’m fine thank you and hope you are too! You seem to greatly enjoy living in Border country on the English/Scottish border!

My husband completed 5 years in Switzerland and his company policy was that after 5 years you either leave the country or localise.....however we never did get a grasp of speaking Sweizer Deutsch and in our Canton they give you a language test before issuing any further residency permits......it was easier to move back to New Jersey (we’ve been back about 18 months) and spouse is back in the Times Square office. However, his division of the company has just been purchased by a private equity company and it is quite possible that they will be making redundancies in a few months so we would move back to England if he loses his job.

Thank you for the tip to go on the gondola...will probably go up at least one mountain, just like I used to in Switzerland but I guess the mountains in Alberta aren’t really going to compare with the beauty of the Matterhorn and other Swiss Alps lol!
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:29 pm

To everyone whom has replied - thank you very much for the tips (do keep them coming!).

We are flying to Calgary, spouse and son are taking their skis and snowboard but sadly I don’t think I’ll have room for my snowshoes so will see if I can rent them in Banff. My spouse has booked an enormous rental car (more like a truck afaik) so I think I’m going to be too nervous to drive it on unfamiliar mountain roads....actually it’s parking them in tight spaces which worries me more and getting landed with a hefty bill from the rental company!

I’m definitely interested in checking out the hot springs. It might be fun if there is time to take my granddaughter dog-sledding (I’ve done this at Lake Placid NY, but she hasn’t). Sadly I’m useless at ice-skating, I can’t stand up without grabbing something to hold on to!

The Old Spaghetti Factory sounds great!

Btw; are there any supermarkets in Banff or just mini-marts?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

IGA Banff - I.G.A.: West
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:55 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
To everyone whom has replied - thank you very much for the tips (do keep them coming!).

We are flying to Calgary, spouse and son are taking their skis and snowboard but sadly I don’t think I’ll have room for my snowshoes so will see if I can rent them in Banff. My spouse has booked an enormous rental car (more like a truck afaik) so I think I’m going to be too nervous to drive it on unfamiliar mountain roads....actually it’s parking them in tight spaces which worries me more and getting landed with a hefty bill from the rental company!

I’m definitely interested in checking out the hot springs. It might be fun if there is time to take my granddaughter dog-sledding (I’ve done this at Lake Placid NY, but she hasn’t). Sadly I’m useless at ice-skating, I can’t stand up without grabbing something to hold on to!

The Old Spaghetti Factory sounds great!

Btw; are there any supermarkets in Banff or just mini-marts?
I was say the main super market is slightly bigger than a mini mart.

Cochrane is just down the road as well I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.