British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Banff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/banff-508883/)

Scubaemma Jan 24th 2008 8:17 pm

Banff

Hello Canada forum-ites,

I'm popping over from the Australia forum to say hi and ask if anyone knows Banff at all? We're off there on a skiing holiday next week and really looking forward to it, so if anyone has got any recommendations or info or anything that would be great!

I've just been out to buy my thermal undies as I've heard it's a tad nippy over there! :D

Just got to hope I can remember how to ski.... :unsure:

Madmac Jan 24th 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Banff

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 5835035)
Hello Canada forum-ites,

I'm popping over from the Australia forum to say hi and ask if anyone knows Banff at all? We're off there on a skiing holiday next week and really looking forward to it, so if anyone has got any recommendations or info or anything that would be great!

I've just been out to buy my thermal undies as I've heard it's a tad nippy over there! :D

Can't help you on Banff but I think one of the Canadian regulars is going to ask you about your avatar. It looks like the one she uses. :D

Have a happy holiday in any case.

Scubaemma Jan 24th 2008 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac (Post 5835064)
Can't help you on Banff but I think one of the Canadian regulars is going to ask you about your avatar. It looks like the one she uses. :D

Have a happy holiday in any case.

Really! :lol:

Thanks, I'm sure we'll have a great time.

gryphea Jan 24th 2008 8:36 pm

I like the magpie and stump for meals and beer in jars

Judy in Calgary Jan 24th 2008 8:46 pm

Tripadvisor, which is a website dedicated to travel, has a good forum and Wiki section.

I recommend their Wiki article entitled Banff National Park : Clothing.

You may be interested in other Wiki topics in the Banff National Park and Banff (townsite) sections.

Taxi Mike's Dining Guide for Banff and Canmore is spot on.

I suppose you're aware that, if you stay in Banff townsite, you can buy a tri-area life ticket, and ski at Sunshine, Norquay and Lake Louise. This is explained in TripAdvisor's Wiki called Canadian Rockies : Skiing.

If you have chosen not to rent a vehicle while you're in the area, there are several shuttle bus services from Calgary Airport to Banff townsite. A good one is Banff Airporter.

TripAdvisor's general Canada section has info about Canadian money, tipping customs, taxes (the 6% GST is not shown on the price tag, but is added at the check out counter), etc.

Hope that helps.

Scubaemma Jan 24th 2008 9:13 pm

That helps heaps, thanks! Transport from airport is sorted and we've booked the tri area lift pass thing, but will definitely read those links thanks:)

rwin Jan 24th 2008 9:14 pm

5% now.

And I think there is a form that can be filled out to get the gst back when you leave.

boxerdog03 Jan 24th 2008 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 5835389)
5% now.

And I think there is a form that can be filled out to get the gst back when you leave.

Not any more:(

Steve_P Jan 24th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 5835389)
5% now.

The Harper Government canceled the GST rebate for visitors.

rwin Jan 24th 2008 9:15 pm

Never mind. I just found out that as of April 1, 2007 you can't do that any more.

rwin Jan 24th 2008 9:16 pm

And two people just corrected me. That was fast :rofl:

Beebop Jan 24th 2008 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 5835035)
Hello Canada forum-ites,

Hot Springs are good! :thumbsup:

Alberta_Rose Jan 25th 2008 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Beebop (Post 5835411)
Hot Springs are good! :thumbsup:

Oh yes.... bring your swimwear and bask in the hot springs! So cool, when there's snow all around! :thumbsup:

The Ski hills ... well there's Sunshine, gets real busy for parking but you can bus from Banff. However busy it is, you can always find space to ski, especially up Goats eye, Jackrabbit and Wolverine side.:thumbsup:

Lake Louise has longer runs but is another hour away. Many people prefer it, and parking is better.:thumbup:

Norquay is nearest Banff, but has limited appeal from what I've heard .... never been there personally. :unsure:

bobbiel Jan 25th 2008 2:41 am

The gondola up to sulfur mountain is worth doing, the view is breathtaking.:ohmy:
http://www.banffgondola.com/

live to ski Jan 25th 2008 3:28 am

Get a balaclava or one of those neoprene face masks - the Canadian mountain air is a bit nippy on the chops!

We're in Vancouver so ski Whistler and the interior resorts mainly, but going to Banff for Easter, so let us know what it was like please.

Have a great time, oh and enjoy the sniffle stations.
L2S