British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Bandit has landed.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/bandit-has-landed-554133/)

bandit Aug 9th 2008 12:31 am

The Bandit has landed....

Actually, it was 3 days ago, but I've been rather busy!!!

Was collected at the airport by another expat I'd never met :unsure: who is actually lovely, and she's let me use her spare room for a while whilst I find my own place.

Day 1, I got my SIN number - all very easy and it begins with a 7!!! I also got my cell phone sorted out - and although they rip you off royally, you can't get around it so just have to deal with it!!!

Day 2 - got my bank accounts opened - no money in them yet tho! It was all frighteningly straight forward and I was handed a plastic card there and then!!! I have now to arrange a wire from teh UK to fill the accounts ;)

Day 3 - went to check out getting my BC licence, and got the theory book. I will attempt the test next week as the practicals are already being booked for October here! Then, I decided to head to English Bay and treated myslef to a tasty seafood chowder at a place that overlooks the bay and it was lovely and warm (nothing like Houston thankfully :thumbup:) and sunny!

Tomorrow is the w/end and I don't have any plans - any suggestions guys?

I know TV here is crap, but please, they need to get on with showing the equestrian events - if only for me.....

All in all, doing ok - will be alot happier once my potential apt is secured for the 1st Sept, and to get started on finding a job!!!!

Bx

startwin Aug 9th 2008 2:16 am

Re: The Bandit has landed....

Welcome, glad you made it safe and sound. I've followed your journey with interest, and now you're finally here! Supposed to rain tomorrow (well it is Vancouver) but back to warm and sunny again on Sunday.

Rob4BC Aug 9th 2008 2:17 am

Originally Posted by bandit (Post 6660795)
Actually, it was 3 days ago, but I've been rather busy!!!

Was collected at the airport by another expat I'd never met :unsure: who is actually lovely, and she's let me use her spare room for a while whilst I find my own place.

Day 1, I got my SIN number - all very easy and it begins with a 7!!! I also got my cell phone sorted out - and although they rip you off royally, you can't get around it so just have to deal with it!!!

Day 2 - got my bank accounts opened - no money in them yet tho! It was all frighteningly straight forward and I was handed a plastic card there and then!!! I have now to arrange a wire from teh UK to fill the accounts ;)

Day 3 - went to check out getting my BC licence, and got the theory book. I will attempt the test next week as the practicals are already being booked for October here! Then, I decided to head to English Bay and treated myslef to a tasty seafood chowder at a place that overlooks the bay and it was lovely and warm (nothing like Houston thankfully :thumbup:) and sunny!

Tomorrow is the w/end and I don't have any plans - any suggestions guys?

I know TV here is crap, but please, they need to get on with showing the equestrian events - if only for me.....

All in all, doing ok - will be alot happier once my potential apt is secured for the 1st Sept, and to get started on finding a job!!!!

Bx

Oh Bandit, thinking of you enjoying the views over English Bay......wish I was there.

If you like Sushi, try KADOYA at 1036 Davie.

Check out Festival Vancouver

West End Summer Block Party. Gordon Neighbourhood House is holding its 10th annual West End Summer Block Party on Saturday August 9th, 2008 from 11 am - 2 pm on the 1000 block of Broughton Street.

Vancouver Chinatown Festival

You could always just take a walk around the Sea Wall after exploring Granville Island and do some people watching right there on English Bay.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Rob ;)

lof Aug 9th 2008 2:28 am

welcome "home", bandit! :thumbup::wub::thumbsup:

bandit Aug 9th 2008 3:27 am

Oh thanks guys... :o:o

Rob- good ideas - will check them out!!!

I'm off to the gym (steam room / sauna) tomorrow with my flat mate as it's meant to be crappy weather. Trying to hook up with some other people this w/end too - jst waiting to hear!!!

Bx

nikki dreaming Aug 9th 2008 6:54 am

Hi Bandit,

Glad everything has gone ok, enjoy the weekend:thumbsup:

purple80 Aug 9th 2008 8:40 am

Congratulations Bandit....Good luck!

Charlie

or4ngecrush Aug 9th 2008 10:06 am

All the best :thumbsup:

The4BellsLondon Aug 9th 2008 11:18 am

well done HUn - hope to be with you soon :)

moondevil Aug 9th 2008 11:59 am

Well done and enjoy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

bandit Aug 9th 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 6661715)
well done HUn - hope to be with you soon :)

Hey - any news on a potential day / date yet????

Raining today - but hopefully sun tomorrow...!

Bx

High numbers Aug 9th 2008 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by bandit (Post 6663018)

Bx

Good luck with your new life:thumbup:

Hope your red bits are better now:rofl:

The4BellsLondon Aug 9th 2008 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by bandit (Post 6663018)

Bx

no - they are still muttering oct but as oh hasnt signed a contract he cant give in his notice here and thats 3 months!!

bandit Aug 9th 2008 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by High numbers (Post 6663026)
Good luck with your new life:thumbup:

Hope your red bits are better now:rofl:

Well, as normal the red bits are again white - there is no such thing as tan for me :frown:

High numbers Aug 9th 2008 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bandit (Post 6663050)
Well, as normal the red bits are again white - there is no such thing as tan for me :frown:

You be careful then with the sun on your young skin :eek: