British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Ban on blood doning for UK dwellers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ban-blood-doning-uk-dwellers-933183/)

sidjoloo Jun 13th 2020 12:56 pm

Ban on blood doning for UK dwellers

When we were in the UK, we gave blood as often as possible. We've had family members requiring blood products over the years so understand how important it is to have supplies available.
When we came to Canada, we assumed that we'd be able to give blood here.
We were quite shocked that we are unable to give blood because we have lived in the UK, something about the mad cows scandal.
I see that the government is being pressured to change the ban on gay men giving blood, perhaps they should reconsider the ban on UK dwellers too?
Who can I write to? Doctor Tam is a previous UK citizen too, you;d have thought she'd have looked into it already?

Former Lancastrian Jun 13th 2020 1:05 pm

Re: Ban on blood doning for UK dwellers

Didn't take long for you to become assimilated :lol: Who can I write to.
Don't worry I have been here for just over 32 years and unable to donate.

sidjoloo Jun 13th 2020 1:12 pm

I wish to write a strongly worded letter in the style of The Times letters to the editor.

My pseudonym will be as follows:

Angry Brit, the Boonies, Canada.

Former Lancastrian Jun 13th 2020 1:14 pm

If you feel that strong about it start a movement and here's a novel idea call it UK Blood Matters or something catchy like that.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2020 1:22 pm

We were discussing this last night. I thought the ban had been lifted but seems not.

beckiwoo Jun 13th 2020 1:52 pm

I’ve heard this.

Ive also been informed anyone with a tattoo can’t give blood? Is that true as well?

Former Lancastrian Jun 13th 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12866278)
I’ve heard this.

Ive also been informed anyone with a tattoo can’t give blood? Is that true as well?

You must wait three months after getting a tattoo (includes microblading and permanent makeup) before you are eligible to donate. The temporary deferral period is due to the increased risk of infections associated with tattoos.

https://www.blood.ca/en/blood/am-i-e...donating-blood

Donors must wait three months after having a body piercing due to the increased risk of infections associated with piercings.

MillieF Jun 13th 2020 3:21 pm

I was/am able to give blood in Canada as I didn't live in the UK during the years in question. I gave blood for five years here and then stopped. TBH it was never a pleasant experience, which it has been in a number of other countries I've lived in. I had my history printed for them so that they could see where and when I had been, during what periods, but the way that they asked the questions was rude to a degree that I felt quite uncalled for. It is of course necessary that they ask for full information, but I don't need to feel like a leper just because I haven't lived my whole life in New Brunswick. When I stopped two years ago, there was an investigation - I had had a particularly nasty woman who treated me like dirt and I got up and walked out. I did get an apology and they told me she remembered me, but was having a bad day...which I fully accept..we all do! I just decided that I really didn't need to feel anxious about doing something which anywhere else would make you feel like you were doing something for your community.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2020 3:27 pm

I donated blood when we first moved to the US in 1996...until I received a letter saying they could no longer get accept my blood due to Mad Cow Disease. I always found it to be a worthwhile experience.

BristolUK Jun 13th 2020 3:59 pm

BristolUK Jun 13th 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12866344)
I donated blood when we first moved to the US in 1996...until I received a letter saying they could no longer get accept my blood due to Mad Cow Disease.

Did you give them a slap? :rofl:

CanadaJimmy Jun 13th 2020 6:59 pm

I heard that once they figure out a test for CJD disease they will allow it. Some progress has been made but nothing yet.

dbd33 Jun 14th 2020 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12866344)
I donated blood when we first moved to the US in 1996...until I received a letter saying they could no longer get accept my blood due to Mad Cow Disease. I always found it to be a worthwhile experience.

It was the same for me in Canada. I gave blood for a few years and then they wouldn't take it anymore.

sidjoloo Jun 14th 2020 1:10 pm

I still get emails from blood.co.uk asking me to give blood. I will just have to donate when I am back in the UK, hopefully soon when we can fly again.
The last time I donated was in December, exactly two weeks before returning to Canada as a landed immigrant!
Well, it's their loss I suppose, my quality O neg will be used in the UK instead.
My husband tells our Canadian friends that are blood is too full of gin for transplanting into a Canadian. :)