Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Baking...bread making etc etc

Wikiposts

Baking...bread making etc etc

Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:49 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baking...bread making etc etc

Originally Posted by LotteW
SR flour would be plain/allpurpose flour with added baking powder to make stuff rise.

If you are trying to bake cakes/muffins etc with all purpose flour and no baking powder it is no suprise that they come out heavy and like house-bricks - there is nothing in the mix to provide the "oomph" that they need to rise.

I make all my bread "long-hand" without a bread machine (I don't like the way bread tastes done in a machine - it just doesn't taste the same and is an odd shape for slicing for sarnies too). I just use bread flour (2:1 mix of wholemeal/white bread flour, salt, yeast and water with a glug of olive oil (because it helps stop it crumbling) - no sugar, no milk powder. Takes around 5 mins or so to do the intial mixing in my Kitchenaid, then I leave it for a couple of hours, shape and put in the bread tins, leave for 30 mins or so to rise while the oven heats up and bake for around 30 or so mins..... most of the time it takes is "downtime" while I am doing other things.

I have a "no-fail" bread recipe that I can post if anyone is interested - doesn't use a machine at all and is pretty much guaranteed to work (even my non-baking friend managed to produce a decent loaf of bread)
yes please, as i started off making bread by hand and only bought the machine to help me, so i have the bread tins at ready
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

We cant get beef dripping here
Make your own

It's only for cooking it, vegetable oil works just as well.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:57 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
Make your own

It's only for cooking it, vegetable oil works just as well.
I'll let you know after saturday if they turn out ok
used to make my own and i have grannies receipe, just looked at the one on line and nothing much different really, so cant see any problems.
All my other cooking is fine, now i know the mixture for SR flour, im off to do my muffins, well buns haha

my fussi daughter will be so happy tonight
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
We cant get beef dripping here :curse:
and we cant get suet either
You can get suet. It's a frozen lump in most stores - not the nice user friendly atora we're used too.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You can get suet. It's a frozen lump in most stores - not the nice user friendly atora we're used too.
Piff Poff you life saver, which store as there is a few of us here and some have been asking in store with no help..i can go looking later if i knew the store...thxs for that

steak puddings, my hubby will be so happy
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

yes please, as i started off making bread by hand and only bought the machine to help me, so i have the bread tins at ready

OK here goes - applologies because it is rather wordy.

No Fail Bread

This makes 3 x1lb loaf-tin sized loaves or 2 large bloomer style loaves

1tbsp dried yeast
1 tsp sugar (optional - it just makes the yeast start to work faster - can be left out)
3lb/1.4kg bread flour (can be all wholemeal, all white or a mix of the 2 - I use roughly half and half wholemeal and white flour)
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil (optional - it tends to stop the bread crumbling too much)

Put the yeast in a small bowl or mug with the sugar if using and a small amount of blood temperature water (baby-bath temperature - it should just feel warm to your hand). leave to "work" while you prepare the flour.

In a bowl (or the mixer) put the flour, salt and oil. Mix until well blended.

once the yeast is frothing in the bowl, pour into the flour and mix. then add enough blood temperature water to mix to a smooth, elastic but not sticky dough - it will take somewhere between 1 and 1.5 pints of water depending on the flour you use, how dry the air is and how much water you put in with the yeast in the first place.... feel the dough regularly if using a mixer. when it is done, the mixing bowl should look fairly clean without much dough or flour sticking to it. If you inadvertently add too much water add some more flour to to the dough. With a bit of practice you will know exactly how much water to add for your flour and when it looks right.

If doing the bread by hand you will now need to turn it out of the bowl and knead it well until it is smooth and elastic (it should spring back under your hands and feel "alive"), if using a food mixer, by the time it is all well mixed it will be kneaded enough.

Leave the dough in the bowl and cover with a damp tea-towel or a piece of clingfilm and leave until the bread has risen to the top of the bowl - can take anything from 1 hour to 2-3 hours depending on the temperature in the room - to speed it up a little, try making bread while the oven is on cooking something else and leave the bread dough near the oven or on top of the stove to rise. You can also put it in a warm airing cupboard to speed it up a bit.

once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and knead it well - it is easiest to do this bit by hand - you may need to dust the worksurface with a handful of flour to stop it sticking but don't use too much, you don't want your bread dough to dry out too much.

If using loaf tins, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and shape into a rough rectangle. Place each in a tin. If making bloomer style loaves on a baking sheet divide the dough in half, shape into an oval shape and place on a baking sheet (dust the baking sheet with flour first as that helps to stop the bread sticking). Cover with the damp tea-towel or clingfilm again and leave to rise while the oven heats up.

you can also shape this dough into small balls to make bread rolls.

Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6). By the time the oven is at the correct temperature the bread should have risen somewhat again. Now you can bake it in the oven as it is if you like, or you can top it with something - brushing it with milk makes it nice and brown and shiny, you can also sprinkle on oatmeal, sesame seeds, poppy seeds or anything else you want to top it with. For a bloomer style loaf, slash the top in diagonal slashes with a sharp knife .

Bake in the oven for aprox 40-50 minutes for loaves and 20-25 minutes for bread rolls.

When done the bread should be nicely browned and there should be a lovely "bread baking" smell in the kitchen. If you tap the bottom of the loaf it should sound hollow. (for loaf-tin bread, if it isn't quite done you can put it back in the oven for a few minutes without the tin - this will also make the bottom nice and crusty).

Cool the bread on a wire rack if you want a crisp crust. If you want a softer crust wrap the bread in a tea-towel while still warm.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Piff Poff you life saver, which store as there is a few of us here and some have been asking in store with no help..i can go looking later if i knew the store...thxs for that

steak puddings, my hubby will be so happy
I have found it in Safeway, Sobey's and Save On. I once asked for it in Save On, the girl I asked was about 20 and I got one of THOSE looks She asked someone much older who understood what I was asking for and directed me to it, once you see it you'll wonder why you've never spotted it before. I found frozen minced lamb last week
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:29 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found it in Safeway, Sobey's and Save On. I once asked for it in Save On, the girl I asked was about 20 and I got one of THOSE looks She asked someone much older who understood what I was asking for and directed me to it, once you see it you'll wonder why you've never spotted it before. I found frozen minced lamb last week
I agree with the above, I posted this a couple of days ago as Lottew was also looking for suet it might help you find it in your Safeway.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=50

Ground lamb makes yummy lamb-burgers.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I agree with the above, I posted this a couple of days ago as Lottew was also looking for suet it might help you find it in your Safeway.

Damn, I meant to buy an aubergine of the veggie stall today, Moussaka!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:35 am

Damn, I meant to buy an aubergine off the veggie stall today, Moussaka!
Don't ask the clerks where the aubergine are they won't have a clue.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:36 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Silly beggar, you think pork would make yummy lamb burgers?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Silly beggar, you think pork would make yummy lamb burgers?
It would?

Who knew?

So how do you get pork to taste like lamb?

But then I'm not the cook in our house.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:01 am

Don't ask the clerks where the aubergine are they won't have a clue.
Ooh! I even got that one right when talking to a customer in our store that had bought a cucumber from the veggie stall. Eggplant innit????
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:04 am

a good one to ask for is a swede

lovely names they give everything here
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:09 am

a good one to ask for is a swede

lovely names they give everything here

Custard powder is also a goody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.