Wikiposts

Back from the UK

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:38 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Back from the UK

I use to drive 1000 km a week for work when I was in the UK.......I seriously dont miss the UK motorway driving.

So you went on holiday and enjoyed it......does that not happen on every holiday??
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:40 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you believe that your life would be better in the UK? If so, when do you plan to leave?
I'm not. I've got a big house.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Does anyone go to any music festivals when they go back home? They've got some really good ones now that stretch right through the summer.
Home is in Ottawa, the UK is where I'm from and my parents are. However, there masses of fabulous music festivals in Ottawa.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:30 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mardyarse
Home is in Ottawa, the UK is where I'm from and my parents are. However, there masses of fabulous music festivals in Ottawa.
??????
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:35 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
??????
You obviously haven't heard of the fabulous festival of celine dion tribute acts or the brian adams 'robin hood theme' mega music-athon.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:44 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You obviously haven't heard of the fabulous festival of celine dion tribute acts or the brian adams 'robin hood theme' mega music-athon.
It wasn't that, I just didn't see the relevance of the post which seemed to come out of left field and have been posted on the wrong thread ?!?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:01 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

It wasn't that, I just didn't see the relevance of the post which seemed to come out of left field and have been posted on the wrong thread ?!?
It was obviously a reference to post #28
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've just spent two weeks in the UK and it was bloody great. I reckon anyone who is coming here from there for "a better life" or "for the kids" is seriously off their rockers.

As an aside - it was a bit of a road trip, coming in quite a bit more than 2000km. Not that I minded the driving - even though they were busy it was a pleasure to drive on roads that contained actual skilful drivers that know how to communicate with other road users properly - you know eye contact, indicating, letting you pull out etc. It's not all good though, there are lots of speed cameras every where now... sigh.
Surely you're seeing the UK though the same rose tinted specs as you first saw Canada? Yes, I liked my short trip back in March and can't wait for my two weeks in August, but a short trip re-living the best bits is quite different from actually living and working there again.

The situation in the UK is going from bad to worse. Just wait till they f^*k about with the NHS, which they will do (they're just waiting for a "bad news week" first). Arts, culture, education, public sector employment - all being reformed or destroyed by those tories. But yes, the pub gardens are lovely in springtime with birdsong.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by London Mike
But yes, the pub gardens are lovely in springtime with birdsong.
Not a lot the government can do about that is there, the birdsong that is.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:35 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It was obviously a reference to post #28
I knew that Steve, but fail to see the relevance of mentioning Ottawa when the thread is discussing the UK, and the post in particular is talking about festivals in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:01 pm

I knew that Steve, but fail to see the relevance of mentioning Ottawa when the thread is discussing the UK, and the post in particular is talking about festivals in the UK.
If you look at both posts again you can see the relevance.

Oink said "Does anyone go to any music festivals when they go back home?" the response was sarcastically Ottawa is home and it goes from there.

I thought it was typical UK sarcasm (humour) I'm surprised you didn't see it that way.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by London Mike
Surely you're seeing the UK though the same rose tinted specs as you first saw Canada.
Of course there is a bit of that. The fact that it was warm and sunny whereas in Vancouver we are currently heading for the coldest april on record didn't help either.

Honestly, I like where I live now - but going back shined a light on the things that I have given up to come here. Some of those thing (such as sitting in a beer garden having a pint with my brothers on a warm sunny day) I miss at an almost visceral level.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Of course there is a bit of that. The fact that it was warm and sunny whereas in Vancouver we are currently heading for the coldest april on record didn't help either.

Honestly, I like where I live now - but going back shined a light on the things that I have given up to come here. Some of those thing (such as sitting in a beer garden having a pint with my brothers on a warm sunny day) I miss at an almost visceral level.
But Bruce Forsyth is still on the telly. How did you deal with this?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009
But Bruce Forsyth is still on the telly. How did you deal with this?
What's wrong with Bruce Forsyth? Not that I watch that dancing crap - mainly because I'm not gay.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Will you be in Fort Mac or Suffolk in the first two weeks of July?

Incidentally and apropos to Woodefords Wherry......I had a cunning plan for my business trip to Europe back in Dec that saw me arriving from Holland to Norwich Airport late Friday afternoon to be collected by my folks and transported to the Fur and Feathers (Woodefordes brewery tap) at Woodbastwick for several pints. Sadly the December snows in Europe put paid to that.
I went to The Fur and Feather In February (It was my Friday night local when in lived in Norfolk ) when i went back ........a couple pints of Wherry and some Nelson's Revenge . "bloody marvellous' although i was like a walking methane generator the following day ! .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.