Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Auto Lease - any example values ?

Auto Lease - any example values ?

Old Oct 19th 2010, 6:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto Lease - any example values ?

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
mandymoowhatever

Gun wielding harpy <-- well that says it all really

hanged by your own byline

you started the insults not me , i just asked a question on the forum

you are the sort of english person most of this forum has left to escape from

and you have a major issue with vehicles under 311k

i have no problem with your love of such vehicles and the fact that yours work well is good news - my current vehicle is actually 16 years old which i bet you find surprising

why don't you just ignore things that aren't your thing and use
your time better - www.oldautosaregreat.com ?

========================

no X5s - only people i see in the UK are rich housewives wasting
hubbies money at shopping centers all day and spending the tax credits . . .

========================

to all the normal people - thanks for the info

i wasn't mad on leases but needed more info

looks a bad deal at the moment - good point on the minivan

thinking first year there will be more buying than normal years
so space will be important - if i'm alowed to have an opinion !

ooh get you - actually the Gunwielding Harpy is a piss take from a previous mis informed newbie poster - hey ho
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:38 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, 2008orbust

I'm intrigued... it's now 2010. Did you manage to do whatever it was you wanted to do in 2008 or did you go bust?

MMC's and others' comments are fair game, I feel. There have been countless threads on here laughing at people who buy into the mobile misnomer that is an SUV. They're not sporty, their utility is questionable. I suppose the V is accurate, but you'd be much better off getting a proper car and a trailer, as Rich suggests. I, too, would wonder why you're even contemplating an SUV if you're moving to Toronto. They're less pleasant to drive, get worse mileage, handle less nimbly, are more inclined to roll over in an accident... there seem very few if any redeeming features for a city-dweller.

To your original question on leases: we leased (a minivan, it made sense with small kids) on first arrival in 2006 because rates were then very attractive compared to finance, the final "balloon payment" value was relatively low, and the lease agreement, we were advised, was a good quick way to build up a credit history. The situation has now changed, post-credit-crisis: many dealers no longer offer private leases at all, and those that do tend to do so at much less attractive rates of interest than purchase finance options (which also give you a credit history if that's important to you).

I'd look at the 0% purchase finance deals available and go from there.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As a contrarian, we've leased two vehicles in succession. The first, a jeep liberty, was to get out of an onerous 0% finance deal on a vehicle that was going out of warranty and that had a lot wrong with it. The second, more recently on a Kia Soul was purely for the lower monthly payment coupled with a dose of 'if this proves to be a crap heap we can give it back before it goes out of warranty'. Sure we could have bought for a little more and a little longer but cashflow was the issue.

One point to consider on the 0% finance purchase schemes is that you often pay the MRSP for the vehicle or something close to it. If you were to finance seperately and effectively be a cash buyer, you might get a substantial discount. If you are going to keep the vehicle for the period of the loan then this is OK. If you have any thoughts on changing earlier, you will likely find that as the vehicle has depreciated from the discounted price not the MRSP, that you are in negative equity for a substantial period of the loan. The 72 and 84 month loans that are advertised widely to get the monthly payment down will excerbate this.

EDIT: Incidentally for the OP - most manufacturer websites will have lease and lease vs. purchase cost calculators on them. Do your research yourself.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
They're less pleasant to drive, get worse mileage, handle less nimbly, are more inclined to roll over in an accident... there seem very few if any redeeming features for a city-dweller.
Worse mileage... can't argue with that one. Roll-overs... fair enough but I drive carefully in poor conditions and there's no way to completely eliminate risk. Less pleasant to drive? Nothing unpleasant about my 4Runner or my wife's RX350. Nimble handling? My old car, a 1998 Taurus, was hardly nimble either. But compared to the Taurus the 4Runner is in most part superior for me - much easier to transport bikes, high-power rockets, and all my gun stuff; higher ground clearance helps with poorly plowed streets and parking lots; AWD is great because rocket ranges and gun clubs usually don't have paved roads. The only drawback is worse mileage.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Worse mileage... can't argue with that one. Roll-overs... fair enough but I drive carefully in poor conditions and there's no way to completely eliminate risk. Less pleasant to drive? Nothing unpleasant about my 4Runner or my wife's RX350. Nimble handling? My old car, a 1998 Taurus, was hardly nimble either. But compared to the Taurus the 4Runner is in most part superior for me - much easier to transport bikes, high-power rockets, and all my gun stuff; higher ground clearance helps with poorly plowed streets and parking lots; AWD is great because rocket ranges and gun clubs usually don't have paved roads. The only drawback is worse mileage.
Aye, and there's the rub. Compared to the Taurus anything's nimble.

A 4-runner's still a truck, when all's said and done, and still handles like a truck. If you can justify ownership on the grounds of being easier to park when it's snowing, then fair play to you, but a whole family's bikes fit well in the back of my Odyssey and I've never not been able to get to where I'm going because it doesn't have enough ground clearance, even if the street hasn't been plowed. Each to his own, of course, but I won't be rushing out to buy one.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, and there's the rub. Compared to the Taurus anything's nimble.

A 4-runner's still a truck, when all's said and done, and still handles like a truck. If you can justify ownership on the grounds of being easier to park when it's snowing, then fair play to you, but a whole family's bikes fit well in the back of my Odyssey and I've never not been able to get to where I'm going because it doesn't have enough ground clearance, even if the street hasn't been plowed. Each to his own, of course, but I won't be rushing out to buy one.
In fact, Odyssey and Sienna were under consideration as well, but I got a great deal on the 4Runner and I'm happy with it.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

"EDIT: Incidentally for the OP - most manufacturer websites will have lease and lease vs. purchase cost calculators on them. Do your research yourself."

thats a good canadian tone to have , then again your a brit

and i thought you were a sensible person

notice to the entire forum - the google nazi has said no questions allowed and he has assumed all websites are tuned to your specific question as he is also psychic

Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

"thats a good canadian tone to have , then again your a brit

and i thought you were a sensible person

notice to the entire forum - the google nazi has said no questions allowed and he has assumed all websites are tuned to your specific question as he is also psychic

Jesus ****** christ, you really are a piece of work aren't you? Go do your own damn research in future.

Wanna know how much it costs to lease a Kia? Well, let me think, I could look at Kia's website and get the information myself. Or I could ask on an interweb forum and get minty when someone suggests that the best source of information is to do your own research. Or are you not intellectually capable of processing that? Never mind, I've done a Steve P on you. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Oct 20th 2010 at 4:52 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I have to drive to Vernon (don't ask why) later in the week and I haven't used the car for a while, so does anyone know how much it'll cost to nearly fill my 2001 VW Jetta with petrol?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:41 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect you are the only one ROFL. However...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I have to drive to Vernon (don't ask why) later in the week and I haven't used the car for a while, so does anyone know how much it'll cost to nearly fill my 2001 VW Jetta with petrol?
Oooh, lemme see. Vernon from Down the Road a Bit? Should be about 25 cents according to google maps and the cheapest gas in Vernon sites.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a trick question cos it's really a diesel?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about petrol but if you use gasoline it'll cost around $50 to $55.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

it all depends how much is in the tank to start with...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

it all depends how much is in the tank to start with...
and what he meant by 'nearly'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.