Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Article: Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job

Article: Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job

Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Article: Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job

Having a disability doesn't always mean one can't work, and the article points out some important factors.

Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job: CIBC poll | CTV News
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:11 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article: Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Having a disability doesn't always mean one can't work, and the article points out some important factors.

Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job: CIBC poll | CTV News
And your point is what, exactly?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article: Only half of disabled Canadians have a full or part-time job

Originally Posted by Souvy
And your point is what, exactly?
Its an important topic that society likes to ignore.

If you don't like a topic move on, no need to belittle people over it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 18th 2017 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:09 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's ignored (though there's always room for improvement). There are many agencies in BC that spend $millions on programs supporting the disabled and where possible finding them work. My employer has half a dozen staff that work full-time on employment related programs on behalf of disabled clients. Often it's the employer that's the barrier, not the individual's disability.

Last edited by R I C H; Jan 18th 2017 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:17 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like a topic move on, no need to belittle people over it.
I wasn't. Merely asking if you were looking to make a point.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by R I C H
I don't think it's ignored (though there's always room for improvement). There are many agencies in BC that spend $millions on programs supporting the disabled and where possible finding them work. My employer has half a dozen staff that work full-time on employment related programs on behalf of disabled clients. Often it's the employer that's the barrier, not the individual's disability.
No doubt the employers are the biggest barrier/problem.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 4:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt the employers are the biggest barrier/problem.
I dunno about that. Are 50% of disabled Canadians employable?

If the disability is "mobility limited due to wheelchair use" and the skill on offer is "extensive java programming experience" the person won't be unemployed. If the disability is "autistic, non-lingual" then no skill is on offer and the person will be unemployed.

"disabled" is too broad. If 50% of people who use a wheelchair but are not mentally impaired are unemployed that's a problem, if only 50% of autistic people are unemployed then that's a miracle of inclusion.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
I dunno about that. Are 50% of disabled Canadians employable?

If the disability is "mobility limited due to wheelchair use" and the skill on offer is "extensive java programming experience" the person won't be unemployed. If the disability is "autistic, non-lingual" then no skill is on offer and the person will be unemployed.

"disabled" is too broad. If 50% of people who use a wheelchair but are not mentally impaired are unemployed that's a problem, if only 50% of autistic people are unemployed then that's a miracle of inclusion.
As someone who has a disability from a mental illness, for me employers are a big barrier, they won't see beyond gaps in employment and write me off before even meeting me. I can do everything under the sun on my end, but if employers are unwilling to meet with me none of that work I do pays off in the end and of course the longer one goes without a job, the harder it is to get one. I haven't worked since middle of 2015 and the interviews get fewer and fewer the bigger that gap becomes.

I am clearly not alone in this experience and have met others in various mental health groups and job centres who experience the same as myself.

And yes not all who are disabled can work, but many can work if given a chance by an employer, and remember not all disabilities are visible and not all disabilities require massive expensive accommodations, but employers should be more open to providing the accommodations a disabled worker may need.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 18th 2017 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why the survey was done by CIBC. But I'm sure it's no coincidence that they released that information first thing in thr morning yesterday, then last night released the information that they would be hiring 500 disabled workers this year.

CIBC to hire 500 workers with disabilities in 2017 - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

The hiring announcement and survey are connected for sure.

Originally Posted by Allie73
I'm not sure why the survey was done by CIBC. But I'm sure it's no coincidence that they released that information first thing in thr morning yesterday, then last night released the information that they would be hiring 500 disabled workers this year.

CIBC to hire 500 workers with disabilities in 2017 - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has a disability from a mental illness, for me employers are a big barrier, they won't see beyond gaps in employment and write me off before even meeting me. I can do everything under the sun on my end, but if employers are unwilling to meet with me none of that work I do pays off in the end and of course the longer one goes without a job, the harder it is to get one. I haven't worked since middle of 2015 and the interviews get fewer and fewer the bigger that gap becomes.

I am clearly not alone in this experience and have met others in various mental health groups and job centres who experience the same as myself.

And yes not all who are disabled can work, but many can work if given a chance by an employer, and remember not all disabilities are visible and not all disabilities require massive expensive accommodations, but employers should be more open to providing the accommodations a disabled worker may need.
In my experience it's not just mental health sufferers that are subjected to potential employer scrutiny.. and lack of interviews. Being an 'older' worker with a lack of recent qualifications and with partial hearing (despite many years experience as an administrator in the UK) I was told that I very likely wouldn't get another job - by a government job seekers / employment assistance worker. Employers wrote me off too JS!

I do agree that the longer you are out of work, the harder it is to get an interview.

Hang in there!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

No doubt age discrimination is an issue as well.

Lack of skills isn't help me either, my experience overall is pretty useless outside of 2 specific industries (airline & hotel).

It's a multi layer barrier for me.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
In my experience it's not just mental health sufferers that are subjected to potential employer scrutiny.. and lack of interviews. Being an 'older' worker with a lack of recent qualifications and with partial hearing (despite many years experience as an administrator in the UK) I was told that I very likely wouldn't get another job - by a government job seekers / employment assistance worker. Employers wrote me off too JS!

I do agree that the longer you are out of work, the harder it is to get an interview.

Hang in there!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...my experience overall is pretty useless outside of 2 specific industries (airline & hotel)....
Ever thought about writing?

I don't mean with a view to making money more a therapy kind of thing.

You've touched on a few incidents, for example, from your hotel days. Anything involving naked people will pique someone's interest

Seriously though, there are a ton of story sites on the internet with volunteer editors (it's how I met my wife - I wrote, she edited) and many of them get feedback from readers.

You're not short of words and maybe you could get some short stories together based on funny or dramatic events.

The writing itself could be therapeutic, if you get positive feedback that helps with self esteem, it gives another hobby and, maybe particularly importantly, you can fill the gaps on a CV because you were "writing" between jobs.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Never thought of that really.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ever thought about writing?

I don't mean with a view to making money more a therapy kind of thing.

You've touched on a few incidents, for example, from your hotel days. Anything involving naked people will pique someone's interest

Seriously though, there are a ton of story sites on the internet with volunteer editors (it's how I met my wife - I wrote, she edited) and many of them get feedback from readers.

You're not short of words and maybe you could get some short stories together based on funny or dramatic events.

The writing itself could be therapeutic, if you get positive feedback that helps with self esteem, it gives another hobby and, maybe particularly importantly, you can fill the gaps on a CV because you were "writing" between jobs.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 19th 2017 at 1:24 am.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:00 am
Slob

Never thought of that really.
Give it a go.

I know quite a few people who do it. Some of them do it for a living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.