Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone sold their house ?

Anyone sold their house ?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

pollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to allpollyb is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone sold their house ?

Hi, we have just sold our house in England, been on market for about 3 months. Very quiet before Xmas but is picking up. Our house is a 4 bedroomed detached, so bigger ones are selling. We did have to drop price. Your house will sell soon i am sure.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Just wondering as you do, has anyone sold there house in the past few weeks, also are there many viewers out there

Only had 1 couple to view a few weeks ago and nothing since,
The estate agent said its all gone quiet again ( you mean there was a time when it was busy )

We have been on the market for about 4 months, have reduced the house by £40,000 and still nothing,

Agent did say it will pick up in a couple of weeks, so lets hope he is right
There are lots of first time homes being sold but not bigger homes
We did think about doing an open house at Easter, but the agents don't think thats a good idea, said we will just get nosy people and no real buyers

Did think about offering a gardener and cleaner with the house for a year ?
( sure OH won't mind me offering his services for a year )

Any ideas ( besides Oink ) would be appreciated
Given the exchange rate, would it not be better to rent it out anyway? Or market it internationally:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...1&in_page_id=8

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 18th 2010 at 3:05 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pollyb
Hi, we have just sold our house in England, been on market for about 3 months. Very quiet before Xmas but is picking up. Our house is a 4 bedroomed detached, so bigger ones are selling. We did have to drop price. Your house will sell soon i am sure.
Thats good news, congrats on selling

Originally Posted by johnh009
Given the exchange rate, would it not be better to rent it out anyway? Or market it internationally:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...1&in_page_id=8
Thanks johnh
Did think about this and even if we sell we won't move the money over untill its a better rate, also got to consider how much agents are and the cost to repaint/ carpets ( they are all cream ) also got to consider the mortgage if for some reason the house is empty or you don't get your rent,

We would have to come back to sell at some point ?
Better to sell asap, for us anyway, for others that can i think renting is a great idea, also i remember reading something about having to pay tax in Canada if you have a property rental here.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Thats good news, congrats on selling

Thanks johnh
Did think about this and even if we sell we won't move the money over untill its a better rate, also got to consider how much agents are and the cost to repaint/ carpets ( they are all cream ) also got to consider the mortgage if for some reason the house is empty or you don't get your rent,

We would have to come back to sell at some point ?
Better to sell asap, for us anyway, for others that can i think renting is a great idea, also i remember reading something about having to pay tax in Canada if you have a property rental here.
This is another long story, but, in Canada, you are taxed on your World-wide income (same as the UK) and that includes rent received. There is a dual taxation agreement with the UK so you will not be taxed twice. You just pay tax where you are resident.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
This is another long story, but, in Canada, you are taxed on your World-wide income (same as the UK) and that includes rent received. There is a dual taxation agreement with the UK so you will not be taxed twice. You just pay tax where you are resident.

Cheers for the info john, I am cleaning windows today and gardening and staying positive that we will actually get some viewers at some stage

Good luck this weekend for all those trying to sell
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Sal_Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone sold their house ?

We are moving to Alberta in June

We put our detacthed bungalow up for sale at the end of December, we have sold to cash buyers and should complete in 5 - 7 weeks

We would have loved to keep the house and rent but didn't want the hassle of managing it from overseas. Also my parents live next door and was concerned that It would be left to them if there were any problems
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sal_Lee
We are moving to Alberta in June

We put our detacthed bungalow up for sale at the end of December, we have sold to cash buyers and should complete in 5 - 7 weeks

We would have loved to keep the house and rent but didn't want the hassle of managing it from overseas. Also my parents live next door and was concerned that It would be left to them if there were any problems
Good luck with the sale and the move, great to hear some positive news
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough

As you might know our house has been in the market over two years now. reduced the price over £70,000. Three buyers and at some stage they pulled out. Third one actually pulled out yesterday after over bidding the other buyer and offered the asking price. Can't believe some people.
Renting is our last option if it doesn't sell until July. But as you all said We rather sell it and not worry about the maintenance anymore.
Good Luck to all of you guys.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz67 will become famous soon enoughGaz67 will become famous soon enough

We put our house on the market around 6 weeks ago , the first week we had 6 viewers and one offer the 2nd week 3 viewers and 1 offer.

Since then we have had around 5 other viewers another 2 didnt bother to turn up

But we decided not to accept any offers with the fall in exchange rates and we have a really low tracker mortgage so decided to rent out instead and keep house as our future pension.

Good luck with everyone selling

Gaz
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by heidi40
As you might know our house has been in the market over two years now. reduced the price over £70,000. Three buyers and at some stage they pulled out. Third one actually pulled out yesterday after over bidding the other buyer and offered the asking price. Can't believe some people.
Renting is our last option if it doesn't sell until July. But as you all said We rather sell it and not worry about the maintenance anymore.
Good Luck to all of you guys.
Sorry to hear that, so frustrating and upsetting, wonder if the other bidder would still be interested ? hope you sell soon

Originally Posted by Gaz67
We put our house on the market around 6 weeks ago , the first week we had 6 viewers and one offer the 2nd week 3 viewers and 1 offer.

Since then we have had around 5 other viewers another 2 didnt bother to turn up

But we decided not to accept any offers with the fall in exchange rates and we have a really low tracker mortgage so decided to rent out instead and keep house as our future pension.

Good luck with everyone selling

Gaz
I would worry about the mortgage rates going up, but everyone has to decide for themselves, good luck with whatever you decide to do

At least you had some viewings
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

A house that will not sell is a house that is over-priced for the market. Pure and simple.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:17 am
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

We put our house on the market yesterday and have seen 'Under offer' and 'Sold signs which is encouraging.
We were told that buyers are ignoring houses that have been for sale since last year, perhaps because the prices aren't realistic for todays market, but they are viewing houses recently listed. We don't want to rent for the same reasons as everybody else. everbody
Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Coffee pot.... in the same boat just now. We are getting quite a few folk through the door, and they all seem keen and say how lovely the house is etc etc.. then don't hear a peep back from them. Our house is up for below market value, in a desirable area etc... but still nothing. I start every weekend with such high hopes.... We need to sell before we move to release our capital. Renting is not an option for us.
Good luck and keep us posted. If we don't sell soon, our hands will have disolved with all the cleaning fluids/bleach etc
Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lorna999
Hi Coffee pot.... in the same boat just now. We are getting quite a few folk through the door, and they all seem keen and say how lovely the house is etc etc.. then don't hear a peep back from them. Our house is up for below market value, in a desirable area etc... but still nothing. I start every weekend with such high hopes.... We need to sell before we move to release our capital. Renting is not an option for us.
Good luck and keep us posted. If we don't sell soon, our hands will have disolved with all the cleaning fluids/bleach etc
I think i have shares in Tesco cleaning dept
At least you are getting them through the door

The daffodills are out now, the willow tree ( thats bigger than the house ) is just coming into life, so all is looking more spring like here which should help with selling, we have just under an acre of land here so lots of mowing and weeding for us this week, I cleaned the windows yesterday ( some of them ) and of course made it rain

I have noticed at the DIY stores lots of people buying paint and stuff its that time of year, This is when people ( hopefully ) want a change and decide on buying a bigger house ( MINE )
The market will improve, things are picking up all over, i think people are just scarred to commit at the moment to any big new purchases.

All we can do is clean and wait
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Our flat has been on the market for about 7 weeks now - and we've only had 3 viewers so far, which I think is pretty disappointing. We had one offer, but it was £15k below the asking price.

I'm hoping that it will pick up over Easter?

The constant cleaning is driving me nuts too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.