British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   For anyone that rented a house when first arriving in NS..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/anyone-rented-house-when-first-arriving-ns-742992/)

engineer80 Dec 27th 2011 9:39 pm

For anyone that rented a house when first arriving in NS.....

Could you give me an idea of how much we could expect to be a reasonable price to pay for renting a 2 or 3 bedroom house in the Truro area please? I've looked on Kijiji and to be honest, without actually viewing the houses on offer personally, it's hard to see if we are being ripped off or not. Rent seems to range from $500 to $1000 or more. Some include utilities in the rent and some don't so which is the better option? I am a little confused, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :thumbup:

jericho Dec 27th 2011 9:56 pm

Re: For anyone that rented a house when first arriving in NS.....

Originally Posted by engineer80 (Post 9808026)
Could you give me an idea of how much we could expect to be a reasonable price to pay for renting a 2 or 3 bedroom house in the Truro area please? I've looked on Kijiji and to be honest, without actually viewing the houses on offer personally, it's hard to see if we are being ripped off or not. Rent seems to range from $500 to $1000 or more. Some include utilities in the rent and some don't so which is the better option? I am a little confused, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :thumbup:

I'm not in Truro, but we pay $1495 plus utilities. It's a 3 bed house, and was the cheapest by a couple of hundred dollars. Anything below $1000 would have me suspicious about the quality of accommodation on offer.

DandNHill Dec 27th 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by engineer80 (Post 9808026)

Our house in Lantz is let out as we are living in Yarmouth. We are getting $1450 in rent and the tenants pay the utilities (we pay the property tax). The house is a 4 bedroom split level in a modern subdivision. It also has a 1 bedroom in law suite on the side which the tenants also occupy.
Hope that helps :unsure:

Flogger Dec 28th 2011 12:44 am

Bloke that I play darts with, is renting a 3 bed on shortts lake. They pay $1200 a month. That includes all bills and its fully furnished.

Another couple I know are paying $700 a month for a four bed place just down the road from us. Truro would be slightly more expensive but I personally wouldn't want to pay any more than a thousand In truro before bills.

Flogger Dec 28th 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 9808075)
Our house in Lantz is let out as we are living in Yarmouth. We are getting $1450 in rent and the tenants pay the utilities (we pay the property tax). The house is a 4 bedroom split level in a modern subdivision. It also has a 1 bedroom in law suite on the side which the tenants also occupy.
Hope that helps :unsure:

Blimey! In Lantz too. I am surprised by this. You have done well to get this price. Is it a local family you have rented to?

DandNHill Dec 28th 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 9808178)
Blimey! In Lantz too. I am surprised by this. You have done well to get this price. Is it a local family you have rented to?

Really? Well we had them literally queuing to see the place 12 hours after the ad went on kijiji and in total we must have had 30+ people interested so I actually think it was a fair price... :confused:

engineer80 Dec 29th 2011 11:51 am

Thanks for your responses everyone :) I think perhaps something around $850 for a 2 or 3 bedroom house would be reasonable then....

jimmydean Dec 29th 2011 7:05 pm

I think $850 would be a little bit on the low side for Truro.... we currently rent a 3 bed 2400 sq ft modern two story house with double garage in Valley (just outside Truro for $1400 per month all in......... we have seen quite a few cheaper than this but would not have chosen to live in most of them.... I think if you said $1000 plus utilities you would get somewhere reasonable.....

engineer80 Jan 2nd 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 9810630)
I think $850 would be a little bit on the low side for Truro.... we currently rent a 3 bed 2400 sq ft modern two story house with double garage in Valley (just outside Truro for $1400 per month all in......... we have seen quite a few cheaper than this but would not have chosen to live in most of them.... I think if you said $1000 plus utilities you would get somewhere reasonable.....

Ok, thanks for the advice. We definitely don't want to be moving into something that we hate and are then stuck with for a year! So $1000 onwards would be a more realistic budget :thumbup: