Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone else acquired an annoying neighbour?

Anyone else acquired an annoying neighbour?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Anyone else acquired an annoying neighbour?

We live in a small condo building, which is all good and nice except we seem to have acquired a neighbour who just won't leave us alone! He talks to everyone in the building but he just doesn't leave us alone...basically all started one night we were in Safeway and he was in the Starbucks on his laptop and we were walking by and said "Hi" and of course he's the sorta person you just can't get past and he starts babbling on and asking if we know anything about computers and my other half showed him how to do something quickly.

Well ever since then he's been knocking on our door nearly every night! If you go out to the car he's there behind you, try coming in from the car and he's there, even if it's -10 and you're carrying a pile of groceries he still insists on stopping us to talk for ages. Other half went out last week to do something with his car and the neighbour was driving past on the street behind the carpark and there's a screech and he reverses back when he sees oh in his car...we come in from shopping on Thursday night, we see him just walking in the apartment building door and we turn around and look and he's walked all the way out to our car to rant to us about how Leduc is full of rednecks and he's smarter than them because he's from Northern Ontario. We were out a walk one night and he goes driving past in the car and of course he goes driving around that block again...

He has been knocking on our door every day for the past week...we're honestly ready to move as far away as possible.

Are we the only unfortunate ones?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:55 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else acquired an annoying neighbour?

Thankfully we don't have any neighbors like that.

There is being friendly and there is being overbearing and from the sound of it, he's the latter.

What would I do? Well, what type of front door do you have? Is it see through, or a solid door with a peep-hole? In other words, if you were to come to the door, or past it, would he know about it? If the answer is no then I would go to the door, look through the peephole and if it's him, simply ignore his knocking, after a few times of this he might just get the message.

It would also be worthwhile having a polite but firm chat with him about his behavior. As for what to say to him, that's the tricky thing, he's living near you so you can't be overly rude, then again, he has to be told that nice as he may be, he's being a little overbearing.

Talk to your other neighbors and see if they have, or have had, a similar experience with this chap and if so, what did they do about it.

It sounds like he might be a lonely chap, hence why he's latched onto people. If you are carrying things in or out and he stops you, be polite but say you can't stop to chat and then continue on your way, same deal if you're going out for a walk and he comes over.

If the condo building has any type of concierge/front desk person then you could ask them if he's known to be a pain, and/or make a complaint, but make sure it's anonymous, but he may well guess who made the complaint.

The problem here is if you do tell him to back off he could flip from being annoying but nice, to being nasty. If that does happen I'd document what he says and does and bring it to the condo board asap, as they need to be aware of any tenants that are causing problems.

Hopefully he'll be a good sort and simply not have realized he's overbearing and will still be friendly and back off.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

I've acquired a very noisy bonker next door and he's keeping our grandson awake. Last Friday till nearly midnight! I eventually hammered on the wall, but I know he smokes pot and after a few minutes it all started up again.

When he asked why there was so much noise - I had to think quickly and say that I thought he had bought a new exercise machine...honestly!

I don't know whether to be mad or jealous!

Last edited by Spritzer; Oct 20th 2009 at 2:14 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:54 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstine
We live in a small condo building, which is all good and nice except we seem to have acquired a neighbour who just won't leave us alone! He talks to everyone in the building but he just doesn't leave us alone...basically all started one night we were in Safeway and he was in the Starbucks on his laptop and we were walking by and said "Hi" and of course he's the sorta person you just can't get past and he starts babbling on and asking if we know anything about computers and my other half showed him how to do something quickly.

Well ever since then he's been knocking on our door nearly every night! If you go out to the car he's there behind you, try coming in from the car and he's there, even if it's -10 and you're carrying a pile of groceries he still insists on stopping us to talk for ages. Other half went out last week to do something with his car and the neighbour was driving past on the street behind the carpark and there's a screech and he reverses back when he sees oh in his car...we come in from shopping on Thursday night, we see him just walking in the apartment building door and we turn around and look and he's walked all the way out to our car to rant to us about how Leduc is full of rednecks and he's smarter than them because he's from Northern Ontario. We were out a walk one night and he goes driving past in the car and of course he goes driving around that block again...

He has been knocking on our door every day for the past week...we're honestly ready to move as far away as possible.

It all sounds a bit odd, not sure what to suggest.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:22 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the film Extract - it won't help but tye neighbor situation will give you a laugh (exactly the same as yours)
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

I had/have a cousin who does this all the time. I started pretending I wasnt in or that I couldnt hear the door - and told her that "oh shame we were out/didnt hear - perhaps if you call first I can save you the effort".

Thought she was getting the message as she calmed down - but now is getting worse again! Sounds really petty but its SO annoying - she now peers through the window - so I pretend to be really engrossed in the washing up and cant hear her!!

Don't want to fall out with her - yes she's lonely - but what can you do!:
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
I had/have a cousin who does this all the time. I started pretending I wasnt in or that I couldnt hear the door - and told her that "oh shame we were out/didnt hear - perhaps if you call first I can save you the effort".

Thought she was getting the message as she calmed down - but now is getting worse again! Sounds really petty but its SO annoying - she now peers through the window - so I pretend to be really engrossed in the washing up and cant hear her!!

Don't want to fall out with her - yes she's lonely - but what can you do!:
I invite her in for a cup of tea she's your cousin.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:16 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

My first home (back in UK) was an apartment (nightmare), then a semi (semi-nightmare), then a detached (good) and now it's detached on a few acres (even better)
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the seeds of a plot for a potential Halloween/psycho-gone-nuts themed film....
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Oh eck .. your heart must sink whenever you see him. He does sound a bit lonely. How about getting your cell phone out when you notice him lurking and having a Very Important Conversation with an imaginary friend?

I do this when I want to avoid the chuggers on the street (those Charity Muggers with the clipboards). They NEVER bother me if I'm "talking"! Though one of these days the thing's bound to ring while clamped to my head ..
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

He really is a weird one, I could go on and on about all the things he's said or done but I'd be writing a huuuge essay! I honestly wish you guys could all see for yourselves then you'd know exactly what I mean as I'm crap at explaining it all in words! lol

He of course was knocking at the door tonight again, we just ignored it though even though I'm sure he heard the TV and saw the lights on, but no doubt he'll be back again or he'll just hound my other half when he goes out to the car! He's sooo loud too, when he's talking he's shouting and everyone gets to hear the conversation then! I'm sure everyone in the building wants to avoid him too as he's a pest.

I'm waiting to see how many times we get hounded this week (probably everynight) then I'm gonna have to figure out a plan before I lose my mind... Move out of Leduc would be a good one!

Last edited by Kirstine; Oct 21st 2009 at 12:17 am. Reason: Removal of a word
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

reggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant futurereggaeprincess has a brilliant future

It's called being friendly (overly!) The Canadians seem to be friendly people.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

In order to avoid offending someone who's behaviour is already bizarre make up some excuse why you don't want to talk with him.

The sublime:
"I'm very shy around strangers and feel nervous, so I would rather not chat with anyone in public, so could you do me a favour and ignore me?" Something like that.

The ridiculous:
Or get your husband to stand in the doorway in his string vest while sharpening an axe, and spitting out chewing tobbaco. Obviously you don't look enough like rednecks!

Last edited by triumphguy; Oct 21st 2009 at 2:13 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by triumphguy
In order to avoid offending someone who's behaviour is already bizarre make up some excuse why you don't want to talk with him.

The sublime:
"I'm very shy around strangers and feel nervous, so I would rather not chat with anyone in public, so could you do me a favour and ignore me?" Something like that.

The ridiculous:
Or get your husband to stand in the doorway in his string vest while sharpening an axe, and spitting out chewing tobbaco. Obviously you don't look enough like rednecks!
Haha I do do the shy thing, I don't talk to him so he doesn't bother with me, it's my other half he pesters even though he does his best to look disinterested/busy and is blunt each time. And the last time he insisted on talking to me he was complaining about his electricity company threatening to cut off his supply and that he had "1000 bux of deer meat" in his freezer! Then in the middle of talking to you, someone else comes along and he gets distracted, talks to them, forgets about you, then walks off before remembering why he was there in the first place...

As for not looking like rednecks...well this guy is kinda hypocritical because he's a bit of a redneck himself, Everytime I see him it's the same unbrushed hair, same plaid shirt, jogging bottoms and slippers, couple that with the way he gets on.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:29 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

You have to fight fire with fire. When you see him ask him to go to Walmart or the grocery store for you to buy things like tampons and toothpaste. Don't even let him say hello, as soon as you see him say his name and ask him to please do these ridiculous out of the way favors for you. Eventually he'll avoid you like the plague in a stunning role reversal. Problem solved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.